Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacoby Jones

Jacoby Jones

"Recently acquired wide receiver Jacoby Jones dropped several passes yesterday, but he still stands out with his speed. He also seems to be spending an awful lot of time talking to the quarterbacks and working with the young receivers. He’ll fit in well. ****"

jones dropped passes for the texans. i don't see how that will change wiht the ravens. we need a more dependable receiver as the #3 guy. he may be a good special teams guy but ihope we have a better laternative at #3.

Blog Entries

Re: Jacoby Jones

It's early but I have a feeling that this is a bad De Ja Vu in the making. Two years in a row we've had dropped passes by our #3 receiver end our season. Houshmanzadeh dropped a crucial 4th down ball that hit him right between the numbers. And then of course, we all know about the other one.

I really hope this isnt a repeat.

It's OTA's

Blog Entries

It is OTA's and he's still getting accustomed to the offense. I'd also argue that Flacco throws the ball a hell of a lot harder than Matt Schaub does.

However, the dropsies are something that is a concern. If you're having trouble catching the ball with shorts on how are you going to handle it when you're getting beat up from a cornerback? This is something that I was (and still am) very nervous about when it comes to Jacoby Jones.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's OTA's
    And he's the #3.

You don't get Calvin Johnson to be your #3 guy. You find someone who's really great at one thing or just solid across several things and hope he can provide you with a few plays.

You know who the best #3 receiver was last year? Pick whichever one of Lance Moore or Robert Meachem you think better fits that definition. They're both pretty much the same, with about 625 yards and either 8 or 6 TDs. That's a pretty damn good #3 receiver. If Jacoby Jones does half that in '12, he's still 240 yards and 3-4 TDs better than our #3 wide receiver from '11.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Jones always has had bad hands, otherwise hed be a dominant player as everything else is there. It is early but this is who he is, which is why i wasnt head over heals for the move to begin with. Hes inconsistent and thats not something thats going to really help flacco. For putting emphasis on "guys that can catch the ball" this offseason, they didnt really grab the best of the.best at it. Jones has his issues. streeter, while still a work in progress, has had and continues to have problems catching. Even peirce isnt a proven commodity. Doesnt mean combined they wont be better than the previous year. If anything ot opens up the door for doss who can and does catch everything to get some PT.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Who where you guys expecting us to get? We couldn't even afford a guy like Laurent Robinson, at least we got someone who can return kicks and punts pretty well. At the end of the day, the best man will win the #3 WR position, and will likely not have to do much more than rack up anywhere between 200-400 yards, which I think Jacoby can do. At the same time LaQuan Williams and Tandon Doss can beat out Jacoby for that position, but they have to back it up through out the pre season, and need to bring the A game in the pre season games too. Ultimately our tight ends are going to be the guys who need to step it up as they are playing a very important role in our offense, and of course Boldin and Smith will have high expectations to do well this year.

T Smith (Good for, 800-1000 yards)
    Boldin (Good for, 700-900 yards)
    Ray Rice (Good for, 500-700 yards)
    Pitta (Good for, 400-600 yards)
    Dickson (Good for, 400-600 yards)

These are the guys that will get most of the catches in this offense. Anything our #3 guy can do is just a bonus IMO. Even our fullback had more catches than our #3 guy last year. I think we will see more work from our #3 guy this year, I expect around 200-400 yards from him (whoever it is). So Flacco is likely to pass for around 3800 yards in 2012.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 06-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Blog Entries

I still hope that someone beats Jones out the the #3 spot. Let him stick to being the return guy.

If Jones is actually running at the #3 (not sure how the rotation is working this spring) then he's getting that opportunity b/c he is a vet. Harbs and Cammie value vets. I also imagine that to get Jones to sign, Harbs/Cammie told him that he would compete at the #3 at least.

If he proves that he's not reliable enough to be the #3 (and I think he will indeed prove that) AND if Doss and LQ are performing then our top 3 will be set with one of the two winning the job. I still think that #3 will be Doss, but if it's LQ then great...just as long as whoever gets the spot, it's b/c he is the best and earned it, not b/c the #3 competition is so poor/unreliable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I still hope that someone beats Jones out the the #3 spot. Let him stick to being the return guy.
    I'm here also. If he cant catch passes from Schaub, and he drops them wearing shorts, thats not someone I really want to depend on. I'm hoping for Doss, but I could see them going with LWill and sliding Boldin into the slot on 3wr sets.

Blog Entries

Agreed; he was brought in primarily as a return guy and may not see much action as a WR... I hope

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Agreed; he was brought in primarily as a return guy and may not see much action as a WR... I hope
    I would agree with that. Although, I can see them trying to get him touches through screens, reverses, etc. He is an explosive football player that brings an added dimension to the team. Even though most of that dimension is through ST, he still may be able to help out our offense in certain situations. I know he has a lot of trouble catching the ball, but when he does he flies.