Blog Entries

Giants & Osi Agree to New Deal

It was a long shot that the Ravens were going to trade for Osi anyway but now these rumors should be officially dead. I'm very curious to see the details because they say it's not an extension but somehow Osi is very happy with it. Jerry Reese is a miracle worker.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...330/-1/SITEMAP

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The Super Bowl-champion Giants and two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Osi Umenyiora have ended their feud.

The Giants announced late Friday afternoon that they signed Umenyiora to a restructured contract, ending a contract dispute that had put the defensive end at odds with general manager Jerry Reese. Terms of the deal were not immediately available.

Umenyiora was entering the final season of a seven-year contract that would have paid him $4.7 million this season.

"I'm just happy, I'm happy all that's over with," Umenyiora said. "It's time to get back to work. It was definitely frustrating (not being on the field this spring), but hearing some of the things they said, whether it was Kiwanuka or (Justin) Tuck or (Jason Pierre-Paul) or Antrel (Rolle), hearing the way they supported me, it made me want to come back even more and be around them.

"Those guys really stepped up for me. I really appreciate it and I'm happy to be here with them."

Umenyiora said the new deal, which is not an extension, gives him peace of mind.
    "It really was affecting me in a bad way, because I didn't like all the negativity that was surrounding the whole situation," he said. "I couldn't stand it, because if you know me, you know I'm not that type of person. I'm just happy all that is over with, and I'll be there. I'll play out this contract, I'll play this year and I'll play my heart out."

Blog Entries

Re: Giants & Osi Agree to New Deal

Great news for the Giants. They pretty much re fortified their Dline.

I would imagine that it includes a provision that they either can't tag him, or that if they do he gets paid as a top 5 player at any position. It may even include a small raise.
    Just speculation on my part.

Blog Entries

PFT is speculating that it's essentially a one year deal and he'll likely be a free agent in 2013. Guess we can speculate about him again next year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...gency-in-2013/

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Restructuring is not a new deal. They just gave him what he was supposed to get over 17 checks in one check.

He wanted an extension, he isn't getting one. Nothing really changed.

What the hell is Osi talking about? Glad what is over? I'm beyond confused.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Restructuring is not a new deal. They just gave him what he was supposed to get over 17 checks in one check.

A simple restructure is not possible on a one year deal. Also, what you mention is not possible due to minimum salaries that rise with years of service.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    A simple restructure is not possible on a one year deal. Also, what you mention is not possible due to minimum salaries that rise with years of service.

The Giants and Osi Umenyiora announced Friday that they agreed to a restructured contract that will effectively keep the long-disgruntled defensive end in New York this season.

Loose details of the deal have trickled out, though nothing concrete has been confirmed. NFL Network’s Albert Breer reported late Friday that Umenyiora likely got a one-year deal worth in the range of $7 million to $7.5 million in 2012. Umenyiora is expected to receive a signing bonus of about $3 million, with a voidable year in 2013 to spread out the salary cap hit.

Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger has similar numbers, citing a person informed of the talks between Umenyiora and the Giants. Keep in mind that the financial details we know about are based on recent discussions, and not necessarily the exact numbers Umenyiora and the Giants ultimately agreed upon.

Regardless, it sounds like Umenyiora received what amounts to a one-year contract.
    He’ll play out this season with a raise on his old $3.975 million salary, and be free to test the unrestricted free agent market next spring.
    They basically gave him a $3 million raise for this year, and are giving that to him in the form of a signing bonus after the restructure.

Blog Entries

Translation: Glad he's getting paid and knows that he'll get paid even more, win, lose or draw, when the next off-season arrives.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

They basically gave him a $3 million raise for this year, and are giving that to him in the form of a signing bonus after the restructure.
    That's why this deal is a brilliant move by the Giants. They get Osi at his best without having to commit a ton of money to him going forward. Very creative