Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Seriously, Do The Ravens Need Vonta Leach?

Im looking forward to seeing either Allen or Pierce running behind Leach. They are both bigger than Rice and younger/hungrier(?) than Rickey was.

As awesome as both Leach and Rice are, it is astounding how bad the ravens were in short yardage last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Im looking forward to seeing either Allen or Pierce running behind Leach. They are both bigger than Rice and younger/hungrier(?) than Rickey was.

As awesome as both Leach and Rice are, it is astounding how bad the ravens were in short yardage last year.
    I agree with you, I am very interested in seeing two of the bigger backs who clearly showed a lot of short distance explosion at college, and running behind Leach and possibly KO and Yanda should be interesting. It is actually kind of staggering how we where so terrible as a short distance running team when you have three pro bowl interior linemen. I know that Rice is not good as a short distance back, but I have to put a lot of the blame on the tackles in 2011.

Blog Entries

RR had more TDs last year than in the 3 previous years combined... Leach was the primary reason

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

No, Willis McGahee not goal line poaching was the primary reason. That's not even remotely debatable.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    RR had more TDs last year than in the 3 previous years combined... Leach was the primary reason
    I'd say the lack of McGahee was the primary reason. McGahee was always the goal line option while he and Rice played together. Once McGahee was gone Rice got those carries instead.

Blog Entries

In 09 McGahee got the goal line carries but not much the last two years (inc. Denver and RWilliams here). Once Rice learned to follow Leach his production improved a lot. If Leach can add a few TDs that would've otherwise been FGs he's earned his money IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Rice definately got a lot more RZ opportunities without Mcgahee, but, at the same time, Leach definately helped Rice cash in on those opportunities.

At the time i thought it was a lot of money to throw at a FB, but i got over that with that hit he put on the chiefs in preseason where he had his helmet pulled off. grubbs even said they put a picture of that play up in the locker room.

The ravens have always had the defense and the running game, and the FB has always been a big part of that. Just think of the list:

Gash
    Ricard
    Mughelli
    Neal
    Mclain
    Leach

I hope they can manage to keep him beyond his current deal. FB's can have a pretty long shelf life.

8. Re: Seriously, Do The Ravens Need Vonta Leach?

Rice definately got a lot more RZ opportunities without Mcgahee, but, at the same time, Leach definately helped Rice cash in on those opportunities.

At the time i thought it was a lot of money to throw at a FB, but i got over that with that hit he put on the chiefs in preseason where he had his helmet pulled off. grubbs even said they put a picture of that play up in the locker room.

The ravens have always had the defense and the running game, and the FB has always been a big part of that. Just think of the list:

Gash
    Ricard
    Mughelli
    Neal
    Mclain
    Leach

I hope they can manage to keep him beyond his current deal. FB's can have a pretty long shelf life.

That is true but we never had a QB like Flacco or a group of weapons on offense that are explosive like we do now. We needed good FB's because we always needed a running game. Is it safe to say we dont need to depend on the running game as much as the past because of Flacco and company? If so we dont need an all world blocking FB. This position should have a low cap number so that money can be spent somewhere else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    That is true but we never had a QB like Flacco or a group of weapons on offense that are explosive like we do now. We needed good FB's because we always needed a running game. Is it safe to say we dont need to depend on the running game as much as the past because of Flacco and company? If so we dont need an all world blocking FB. This position should have a low cap number so that money can be spent somewhere else.
    I understand what you are saying but i think lukedaniel nailed it as far as Leach's value to the team. Afterall, we are only talking about $3mil in salary.

The ravens will always be a defensive minded team and a strong running game goes hand in hand with that.

#1 it is a winning formula (esp in the afc north)

#2 ozzie's bread and butter has always been, and always will be, finding and developing defensive talent.

To have a 5000 yard passing offense, you have to put a lot more resources (draft picks/cap space) into the offense than the ravens have ever been willing to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    That isn't entirely true IMO. We are no where near as explosive as teams like Green Bay, or even Carolina on offense. We will still need to rely on the run game quite a bit in 2012. And before anyone starts, this isn't a direct attack at Joe, or the fact that I am defending Ray Rice, but just look at what happens to us when we don't run the ball (no matter WHO is in the back field). We end up having games like Jacksonville and Seattle all over again. We have Torrey Smith, and Ed Dickson and they are pretty explosive, but outside of him, I wouldn't say anyone on our team is explosive enough to guide us away from the run game. Could we get away from the run if we had Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson as our starting WR's? Now we're talking.

Blog Entries

I understand what you are saying but i think lukedaniel nailed it as far as Leach's value to the team. Afterall, we are only talking about $3mil in salary.

The ravens will always be a defensive minded team and a strong running game goes hand in hand with that.

#1 it is a winning formula (esp in the afc north)

#2 ozzie's bread and butter has always been, and always will be, finding and developing defensive talent.

To have a 5000 yard passing offense, you have to put a lot more resources (draft picks/cap space) into the offense than the ravens have ever been willing to do.
    Running and defense is no longer a winning formula at least when you are talking about winning Championships. The NFL has made sure of that by changing the rules. Run first teams do not win Super Bowls.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Running and defense is no longer a winning formula at least when you are talking about winning Championships. The NFL has made sure of that by changing the rules. Run first teams do not win Super Bowls.
    Just because it hasnt been done in a few years doesnt mean it cant happen. The ravens got pretty damn close last season. It has worked for the steelers over the last decade and the colts and saints both won SB's with a strong running game/defense.

It wont happen with cameron, and im not sure the FO is equipped to build a high power passing attack. I think we could win a SB simply with a more proficient passing game.