Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Re: Seriously, Do The Ravens Need Vonta Leach?

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    Im not saying Leach sucks or he didnt help the running game. Im saying we could have sign a FB who is just as affective as Leach but at a cheaper price.
    There isn't a FB that is effective as Leach - at any price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Oher was much better as a rookie than he's been in either season since. Why? I don't know since you rarely see that but it's difficult to dispute.
    I think the constant shifting around the OL has something to do with that. You move a guy from RT to LT and then back to LT there is likely going to be some drop off in his play.

Leach is a beast.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I think the constant shifting around the OL has something to do with that. You move a guy from RT to LT and then back to LT there is likely going to be some drop off in his play.
    The only other Tackle I've seen this with is Ryan Clady of the Broncos who also had a great rookie season and then kind of fell off ever since.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Yes you need him and here is why!

http://www.nflrush.com/video/3700
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Oher was much better as a rookie than he's been in either season since. Why? I don't know since you rarely see that but it's difficult to dispute.
    Didn't the Ravens have a different OL coach in Oher's rookie season? I really don't like the OL coach they have now. I generally like Harbaugh, but am getting tired of the "good ol' boy" approach that he has to hiring coaches. Just because Harbaugh's dad had a relationship with Andy Moeller's dad, doesn't mean that Moeller should get a job with the Ravens. Hire people based primarily on qualifications, not primarily based on relationships.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Didn't the Ravens have a different OL coach in Oher's rookie season? I really don't like the OL coach they have now. I generally like Harbaugh, but am getting tired of the "good ol' boy" approach that he has to hiring coaches. Just because Harbaugh's dad had a relationship with Andy Moeller's dad, doesn't mean that Moeller should get a job with the Ravens. Hire people based primarily on qualifications, not primarily based on relationships.
    They had the same coach for Oher's first 2 seasons. Moeller came in last year. Honestly I don't understand how he kept his job after being suspended from drunk driving. This hiring friends drives me nuts too.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    The best FB in the league, like Vonta Leach, brings less "win equity" to his team than a middle-of-the-road quarterback, like Joe Flacco.
    There are 85-90 QBs in the NFL. Joe Flacco, at worst, is probably the 11th or 12th best QB in the entire league. He's hardly middle of the road. A middle of the road player, as far as QBs are concerned, would be someone in that 35-45 range. That's a player who is a serviceable starter or very good backup. That would be someone like Vince Young or Marc Bulger (circa 2010). That type of player, in today's NFL economy, gets roughly the same $3 million per year as Leach does on the open free agent market.

You aren't comparing apples to oranges from the get-go with your analysis IMO...

The point I was trying to make is if you took the contract given to Leach and re-directed it to another player, what would you get? You're not getting an impact player at any other position for $3-$4 million/year in today's market. You're getting a marginal starter or solid reserve. If you buy wisely, you're getting a Cory Redding or Bernard Pollard type player....a guy who can start and do well, but in more of a complimentary role. A lot of players who get that $3-$4 million in the free agent market turn out to be Gurodes or Chris Carrs, who have little impact on win shares for your season. They are more depth guys. They are decent players, but they won't impact your immediate success as much as the #1 run blocking fullback in the league would.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by LukeDaniel; 05-31-2012 at 12:51 PM.

To be fair though, you need to look at what $3-4 million can get you towards an upgrade at a position, not just look at what it can get you by itself. In other words, how much better is a $9-10M per year WR than a $6M WR, etc?

For the Ravens, however, I don't think it changes much since we are pretty strong at every position; and where we could possibly improve, we have young up-and-coming guys who you wouldn't bench or ditch in any event.

Count me in the camp that agrees with you, Luke. I think Leach's contribution is significant and that it is money well spent (relatively).

Blog Entries

Im looking forward to seeing either Allen or Pierce running behind Leach. They are both bigger than Rice and younger/hungrier(?) than Rickey was.

As awesome as both Leach and Rice are, it is astounding how bad the ravens were in short yardage last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Im looking forward to seeing either Allen or Pierce running behind Leach. They are both bigger than Rice and younger/hungrier(?) than Rickey was.

As awesome as both Leach and Rice are, it is astounding how bad the ravens were in short yardage last year.
    I agree with you, I am very interested in seeing two of the bigger backs who clearly showed a lot of short distance explosion at college, and running behind Leach and possibly KO and Yanda should be interesting. It is actually kind of staggering how we where so terrible as a short distance running team when you have three pro bowl interior linemen. I know that Rice is not good as a short distance back, but I have to put a lot of the blame on the tackles in 2011.

Blog Entries

RR had more TDs last year than in the 3 previous years combined... Leach was the primary reason
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

No, Willis McGahee not goal line poaching was the primary reason. That's not even remotely debatable.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    RR had more TDs last year than in the 3 previous years combined... Leach was the primary reason
    I'd say the lack of McGahee was the primary reason. McGahee was always the goal line option while he and Rice played together. Once McGahee was gone Rice got those carries instead.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

In 09 McGahee got the goal line carries but not much the last two years (inc. Denver and RWilliams here). Once Rice learned to follow Leach his production improved a lot. If Leach can add a few TDs that would've otherwise been FGs he's earned his money IMO
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!