Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Blog Entries

Re: Seriously, Do The Ravens Need Vonta Leach?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Defense still wins Championships IMO. It was the difference between the Giants and Patriots in the SB, the better Defense won.
    Neither team had as good a defense as the Ravens or 49ers. They weren't even close.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Casual fans love offense.
    As a lover of defense it was terrible to see but the casual fans ate it up.

As long as scoring = ratings they're going to keep boosting scoring.
    A shame some of these fans can't get more into it

Give me AFC North football any day. Tight, nervous and you're exhausted at the end

Of course it's the Ravens I want to see win

But I'll watch any game, Browns/Steelers on New Years Day was a brilliant game, finished Steelers 13-9
    Was roaring on Cleveland for all of it, we'll never know if they could have won it. Swopping an effective Senneca Wallace for a concussed Colt McCoy didn't help!

Neither team had as good a defense as the Ravens or 49ers. They weren't even close.
    That's not what he's saying.

The Giants had the better defense that day.

And I'd argue the second half of the season, once they all got healthy, it was indeed one of the best defenses going into and in the playoffs.

Blog Entries

And look what happened, both 49ers and the Ravens should have really won those games. The Giants definitely had a top 5 defense at the end of the season when they got all their players back healthy. They basically shut down the Jets, and the Cowboys on their way to the play offs. Then defensively dominated the Falcons, shut down one of the most explosive offenses in NFL history IN Green Bay, got a bit lucky against the 49ers, then pretty much held the Patriots in check. Infact you saying that they had a poor defense in the season only strengthens my argument, because they finished 9-7, but then went on a huge winning streak with improved defensive play. There is no way in hell that they would have won that SB had their defense not stepped up. At the end of the day the term "defense wins championships" is so true in this years SB, the better defensive team won in the end.

I can agree with you on run first teams, but I think at the end of the day any solid team who has a QB like Flacco who can make the key throws as proven vs the Patriots, amongst numerous other games Cam has actually decided to let him play, who are run/good defense orientated teams, can win a SB in any given year. The Ravens have beaten many explosive teams in the regular season with a run first approach, take the Saints as an example in 2010. They can do this in the play offs too as proven vs the Patriots in 09. I don't think there is a harder team in the league to beat if they are up by at least two scores in the Ravens, you give the Ravens a two score lead, no matter how explosive you are, we are going to run the ball and run the clock, and play good defense. If it's in M and T, that's even more daunting with the crowd noise working against you.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    And look what happened, both 49ers and the Ravens should have really won those games. The Giants definitely had a top 5 defense at the end of the season when they got all their players back healthy. They basically shut down the Jets, and the Cowboys on their way to the play offs. Then defensively dominated the Falcons, shut down one of the most explosive offenses in NFL history IN Green Bay, got a bit lucky against the 49ers, then pretty much held the Patriots in check. Infact you saying that they had a poor defense in the season only strengthens my argument, because they finished 9-7, but then went on a huge winning streak with improved defensive play. There is no way in hell that they would have won that SB had their defense not stepped up. At the end of the day the term "defense wins championships" is so true in this years SB, the better defensive team won in the end.

I can agree with you on run first teams, but I think at the end of the day any solid team who has a QB like Flacco who can make the key throws as proven vs the Patriots, amongst numerous other games Cam has actually decided to let him play, who are run/good defense orientated teams, can win a SB in any given year. The Ravens have beaten many explosive teams in the regular season with a run first approach, take the Saints as an example in 2010. They can do this in the play offs too as proven vs the Patriots in 09. I don't think there is a harder team in the league to beat if they are up by at least two scores in the Ravens, you give the Ravens a two score lead, no matter how explosive you are, we are going to run the ball and run the clock, and play good defense. If it's in M and T, that's even more daunting with the crowd noise working against you.
    I love Leach. Anyone who watch any decent amount of Ravens football would not question his value to the team. Is he worth the cap number? IMO last year he definitively was and my guess is he will be again this year. Lets not forget his job is not just to open holes for Ray Rice, he also has a significant role in terms of pass protection in non obvious passing situations (1st down passes, 2nd down and not long etc). Just think he has more value to the offense than just opening holes for Rice.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis