Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Seriously, Do The Ravens Need Vonta Leach?

I know Vonta Leach is a beast at FB. He blows up holes and makes running lanes. He is an unsung hero on the Ravens offense for his dirty work. He signed a 3yr deal worth 11million dollars with the ravens.

IMO i wouldnt have signed Leach. In the new age of the NFL, the FB position is becoming exstinct. Not because there's no good FB's left but the NFL has turn more into a passing leauge so power running teams and strageties are not the norm anymore.

In Cam offense of scheme the FB will get carries and catches so why not go out and get a FB that has speed and can be an actual threat when he has the ball. We had one in Leron McClain but he wanted to leave. I would have not been upset if the Ravens had signed a TE and converted him to FB. Atleast we know he would have hands.

IMO the Ravens could have signed a FB for less money who may not have been as good as leach but still as affective. Almost 3million dollars a year for a FB is a bit much and I can see why the Texans didnt want to resign him. I just think the Ravens could have spent their money a lil more wisely at this position. Especially if your stacking your offense with offensive weapons for Flacco. 3million dollars a year would have been enough money to sign a primary run blocking fullback and a dual threat FB and im sure our offensive would not have miss a beat. Probably would have been a bit more affective in Cam's scheme.

Agree or disagree?
    Last edited by mommathurgoesthatman; 05-29-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Seriously, Do The Ravens Need Vonta Leach?

I didn't like Leach's contract when it was signed. I hate the contract even more now that the Ravens are cap strapped for the next two seasons. As much as I dislike the deal, releasing him would create even more of a burden on our cap. He's got a six million dollar bonus. That's 4 million(?) in dead money. We can't afford that either.

Blog Entries

I think the Ravens do need Leach. He gives their running attack a much needed identity, and sets a physical tone against teams. The Ravens just need to get Ray Rice signed, which will free up the cap space they need for this season.

Blog Entries

Do we need him? no. we dont NEED anybody, but he certainly is a luxury to have, even if it isnt the best contract for the team. I had the same feelings as Corey when we signed him. I like Leach and i think hes valuable, but i didnt like the contract. Cam is one of the few OC in the league that still use a FB and even he wasnt using him as much as he has in years past, choosing to go with 2 TEs sets rather than Leach being out there. Now that it appears well be running, or atleast trying to, more 3 WR sets as well id say his role will be even more diminished.

Leron McClain did not want to leave, he wanted to be RB, and quite frankly was only average at blocking. I liked LeRon but his time was done here when he started asking for carries instead of learning to block, which is why i did like getting Leach, even if the deal was too much imo.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Go back and watch some games from last year; especially the ones where Rice had big runs. Then you'll see how critical Leach is to those runs.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Do we need him? no. we dont NEED anybody, but he certainly is a luxury to have, even if it isnt the best contract for the team. I had the same feelings as Corey when we signed him. I like Leach and i think hes valuable, but i didnt like the contract. Cam is one of the few OC in the league that still use a FB and even he wasnt using him as much as he has in years past, choosing to go with 2 TEs sets rather than Leach being out there. Now that it appears well be running, or atleast trying to, more 3 WR sets as well id say his role will be even more diminished.

Leron McClain did not want to leave, he wanted to be RB, and quite frankly was only average at blocking. I liked LeRon but his time was done here when he started asking for carries instead of learning to block, which is why i did like getting Leach, even if the deal was too much imo.
    The ravens do NEED players. Players make up a football team. LeRon did want to leave for the exact reasons you stated. He wanted to be an RB when we already had a RB in Ray Rice. So if he thought he was going to take Ray Rice spot than he was asking to leave IMO. Im not saying Leach does not deserve the contract he got because he earned it, I just think the Ravens could have spent it more wisely especially knowing Cam offensive scheme. Paying a player a lil over 3million dollars a year who does not get utilized enough is not a good football move. Im almost certain that the ravens could of sign a FB who is just as good as Leach in the running game for half the money. Thats all im saying. Flacco and Rice has contracts that are due up so im sure that the Ravens would like to have all the free money they can get to sign them. Leach contract does not free money but is a waste of money IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Go back and watch some games from last year; especially the ones where Rice had big runs. Then you'll see how critical Leach is to those runs.
    Im not saying Leach sucks or he didnt help the running game. Im saying we could have sign a FB who is just as affective as Leach but at a cheaper price.

Blog Entries

For the Ravens offensive identity, I'd say he is very important to the team. Greg Cossell wrote an article a while back, and explains how important Leach is to this offense. IF the Ravens where a pass first team, then I doubt there would be any point in carrying a FB on the roster. But we are going to continue to run the ball in this division, so IMO Leach is a key clog to our team. Put it this way, Leach had more catches last season than any #3 receiver had.

I wouldn't call the Leach deal a waste of money, but agree with others that perhaps it was a little high. And RWT has a point, many of Rice's big runs were sprung by Leach. Leach is one of, if not the top FB in the game right now. I'm happy with having Leach on the team.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    Im not saying Leach sucks or he didnt help the running game. Im saying we could have sign a FB who is just as affective as Leach but at a cheaper price.
    What other FB's where out there at the time? You don't just hand any old rookie the starting FB job, it's a very hard position to play and be effective at doing. Only around 3 full backs in the league can lead block to an elite level. Do you think Rice would be as productive if we had some guy off the streets playing FB in front of him? I don't.

Rice even struggled at times in 2010 with leRon blocking for him.

Love the offseason!

I think it has been determined that 90% of the team is either overpaid, expendable or just not that good.

Mind boggling how this team has the success it does with all this wasted cap space, and notorious underachievers all over the place at virtually every position.

How do they do it??

12. Re: Seriously, Do The Ravens Need Vonta Leach?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    What other FB's where out there at the time? You don't just hand any old rookie the starting FB job, it's a very hard position to play and be effective at doing. Only around 3 full backs in the league can lead block to an elite level. Do you think Rice would be as productive if we had some guy off the streets playing FB in front of him? I don't.

Rice even struggled at times in 2010 with leRon blocking for him.
    Was LeRon a blocking fullback or a guy who wanted to be a RB? LeRon does not have the same mentality as Leach. Leach does not want carries he just want to blow up holes. Its only 3 FB's in the leauge who can block at an elite level because this is a passing leauge now. Teams dont value or need FB's like they use to. That does not mean there are not good FB's out there. Trust me.

The FB position is hard to play? Have you ever played FB before? Its not hard to play. You have to like to hit and you have to read holes and have good footwork and technique. Same as a RB but the FB just hits.