Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 27
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    12,094
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Could we be looking at another "three headed monster" in 2012?



    I would just like to make a few remarks here:

    1.) The rush-first/control the clock philosophy, in my opinion, goes beyond Cameron. I think that the front office, as a whole is satisfied with it, as long as it equates to W's. I think they feel that this strategy will equate to more W's than having Joe throw the ball forty times a game. They will try to find a 'healthy medium', but if they had to lean to a side it would be running the ball.

    2.) You are right, Rice is not the best short yardage back.

    3.) I've been saying this for months. The Ravens offense can survive without Ray Rice. Berry was actually looking good enough to make the roster last year, but injured his ankle. Anthony Allen is a good fit for the zone blocking system and so is Pierce.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 05-28-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  2. #14

    Re: Could we be looking at another "three headed monster" in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    im including playoffs here, i clearly said "inc playoffs in the past twp years".... i dont know how you didnt see that, i also said touches...
    Fair enough.




  3. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,722
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Could we be looking at another "three headed monster" in 2012?

    OTAs are pretty much useless for determining anything. This is the first year under the new OTA system. Players don't hit and barely even run. Many don't even think they have any use beyond film study with these new rules. I certainly wouldn't make any judgement about a player based on how they look at the OTA.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  4. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,344
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Could we be looking at another "three headed monster" in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    OTAs are pretty much useless for determining anything. This is the first year under the new OTA system. Players don't hit and barely even run. Many don't even think they have any use beyond film study with these new rules. I certainly wouldn't make any judgement about a player based on how they look at the OTA.
    It's good for work-out purposes. Someone like McKinnie who needs that extra kick in the ass to get in the gym and bust his ass is going to get a fair amount out of OTA's because they're at the facility with the coaching staff on top of them.

    Secondly, it gives the coaching staff time to really get down to the nuts and bolts of team philosophies for the rookies and young guys who might not be grasping everything entirely.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #17

    Re: Could we be looking at another "three headed monster" in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I would just like to make a few remarks here:

    1.) The rush-first/control the clock philosophy, in my opinion, goes beyond Cameron. I think that the front office, as a whole is satisfied with it, as long as it equates to W's. I think they feel that this strategy will equate to more W's than having Joe throw the ball forty times a game. They will try to find a 'healthy medium', but if they had to lean to a side it would be running the ball.

    2.) You are right, Rice is not the best short yardage back.

    3.) I've been saying this for months. The Ravens offense can survive without Ray Rice. Berry was actually looking good enough to make the roster last year, but injured his ankle. Anthony Allen is a good fit for the zone blocking system and so is Pierce.
    Good post. I hope we can successfully impelment a run-based offense. For one reason, it'll mean we had a good draft (rookie G and C playing big roles). More important, as long as Cam is here, I think it's wishful thinking to believe we can win consistently with a pass-heavy offense. The combination of Cam and Joe just lacks the je ne sais quoi to be successful.




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,237
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Could we be looking at another "three headed monster" in 2012?

    And that's not to say that we cannot win a SB playing in this way, because Joe has proven that he can make the key throws, all it's going to do is just piss the media off a little. After all "SB's are won by passing for 5000 yards a season" right guys?




  7. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,237
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Could we be looking at another "three headed monster" in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The rush-first/control the clock philosophy, in my opinion, goes beyond Cameron. I think that the front office, as a whole is satisfied with it, as long as it equates to W's.
    Totally agree. I think the FO know very well that we win games when we control the clock and run the ball, and play good defense. I am sure that after the Seahawks and Jag games, the FO probably called Cam in and requested to run the ball more. I think in the AFC North, it is really going to be a total run the ball first, pass second type of division in 2012 and beyond. The Steelers have openly admitted that they want to run the ball a lot more, the Browns drafted Trent Richardson with the 3rd overall pick trading up in the process, and the Bengals used a first round pick on a run grader guard aswell as signing BJGE. And like I said, this isn't really a bad thing, because we know when it is on the line, Flacco can make the big throws and win us big games when he has to.




  8. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,722
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It's good for work-out purposes. Someone like McKinnie who needs that extra kick in the ass to get in the gym and bust his ass is going to get a fair amount out of OTA's because they're at the facility with the coaching staff on top of them.

    Secondly, it gives the coaching staff time to really get down to the nuts and bolts of team philosophies for the rookies and young guys who might not be grasping everything entirely.
    The problem is that you can no longer say someone looks good at OTAs and say that means something for the team. For example the whole premise of this thread is that AA looked good therefore we have improved options at running back. Until the preseason games there is just no way to know because the OTA just isn't physical enough to get a true picture.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  9. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Totally agree. I think the FO know very well that we win games when we control the clock and run the ball, and play good defense. I am sure that after the Seahawks and Jag games, the FO probably called Cam in and requested to run the ball more. I think in the AFC North, it is really going to be a total run the ball first, pass second type of division in 2012 and beyond. The Steelers have openly admitted that they want to run the ball a lot more, the Browns drafted Trent Richardson with the 3rd overall pick trading up in the process, and the Bengals used a first round pick on a run grader guard aswell as signing BJGE. And like I said, this isn't really a bad thing, because we know when it is on the line, Flacco can make the big throws and win us big games when he has to.
    Expect the Bengals.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!




  10. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,237
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Could we be looking at another "three headed monster" in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The problem is that you can no longer say someone looks good at OTAs and say that means something for the team. For example the whole premise of this thread is that AA looked good therefore we have improved options at running back. Until the preseason games there is just no way to know because the OTA just isn't physical enough to get a true picture.
    I actually meant that so far AA has been getting most of the first team snaps, not Pierce. It just seems like an indication to me that they are serious about Allen.




  11. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,237
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Could we be looking at another "three headed monster" in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknpurplepain View Post
    Expect the Bengals.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    IDK about that, I'm not sold that Andy Dalton is going to be able to run a pass first offense and be effective. They signed BJGE who hasn't really had the chance of doing anything special while playing for the Patriots, but he is certainly an upgrade over Benson at this point. They also spent a first round pick on a guard, and waited a while to draft a WR. They have AJ Green, but outside of him, they have no one proven enough IMO. I think they will be slightly more balanced than other teams though. You can bet any money that the Browns are going to run the ball as much as they can with Richardson, and will want to take pressure off Weeden to start with.




  12. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,722
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Could we be looking at another "three headed monster" in 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I actually meant that so far AA has been getting most of the first team snaps, not Pierce. It just seems like an indication to me that they are serious about Allen.
    That #2 RB spot is going to be open during camp. Pierce wasn't drafted high enough to be handed anything. They're going to compete all camp and we'll see who comes out on top. What I don't think though is that this will change the Ravens offense to be more run oriented like it was Flacco's rookie season. Rice is still going to get the lions share of snaps.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland