Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Who's set to break out next year?

Defense: Arthur Jones and Jimmy Smith
    Offense: Bernard Pierce and Torry Smith

Without a doubt Jimmy Smith. His level of play increased so much as the year progressed, he looked like a totally different player in the end. With an entire off-season in addition to a whole season under his belt, this kid will surprise people. Definitely takes advantage of William's injury and wins the starting job opposite Webb without looking back. He will play at a pro-bowl level this year. Too much talent, size, speed, and instincts to not make an impact.

I want to say Torrey Smith, but with his success last year I don't see that happening. Teams are really going to focus on Anquan Boldin and Torrey this year so I am going with Dennis Pitta or a rookie WR (Tommy Steeter, Deonte Thompson, Devin Goda, or Dorian Graham) much like Torrey Smith did last year. Who knows, if David Reed can make an impact this off season maybe him. The reason I didn't go with Ed Dickson, it's only because he hasn't been as consistant as Pitta thus far.

I didn't go with anyone on D only because even if someone does have a breakout season it will get buried under all of the Haloti Ngata, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, and even an injured Terrell Suggs focus that the media, outside of Baltimore, puts on it. I know Jimmy Smith is going to have another solid season (sans injury), and Pernell McPhee will do well as well, but don't hold your breath with either of them becoming a household name this year.
    Last edited by Strange Bru; 05-25-2012 at 08:48 PM.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

i'll pick the smiths.

Jimmy Smith just looks to be a playmaker. both of the smiths played big in the AFCC game. they proved the game is not to big for them and that they aren't happy with playing it safe. they want to make plays. torrey smith making the turn up field and scoring that TD in such a big game shows he's got the mindset to win.

Jimmy smiths return of his pick in that game and the return of the pick in the bengals game, eventhough he fumbled the ball, shows he is not happy with possesion. he wants to score.

maybe this is a stretch but i will add anthony allen. ray rice is a good back but he can't get it done on 3rd and short. allen can push the pile and he has speed.

i predict by the end of 2012 we will be calling anthony allen "Little Jamal". maybe we need a bold predcition thread.

I agree with McPhee, he is a special talent. Both inside and outside. Great strength and strong burst and hands. He reminds of a younger Trevor Pryce. He
    has future PRO Bowls waiting for him.

On offense, Torrey Smith. Fridge said he was the hardest working and most dedicated player he ever coached at Maryland. He just got better every week. If he avoids injury, he will be the best WR in Raven history, he is just learning the game.

Blog Entries

I think Ed Dickson has a good chance at surprising everyone. I think that on defense it has to be either McPhee or Jimmy Smith. Don't sleep on Anthony Allen either.

Yea I don't get the Dickson hate from some folks. Obviously he needs to be more consistent but he was dynamic and a VERY good third down target last year.

Athletically he's not in Vernon Davis' or Gronkowski's class but he's among the league elite from a measurables standpoint. I think he and Pitta will be exceptional for us next year.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?i12cp1
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Yea I don't get the Dickson hate from some folks. Obviously he needs to be more consistent but he was dynamic and a VERY good third down target last year.

Athletically he's not in Vernon Davis' or Gronkowski's class but he's among the league elite from a measurables standpoint. I think he and Pitta will be exceptional for us next year.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?i12cp1
    True, and don't forget Dickson in the Seattle game. Had we gone on to win that, I think people would have been higher on Dickson with that performance.

I'll go with Torrey Smith, even though it's the fairly obvious pick and he's arguably already broken out. With his ability and work ethic I see him becoming a more complete receiver, maybe putting up Roddy White type numbers.

For an under the radar guy I'll go with Albert McClellan. Jameel McClain, Ayanbadejo and Dannell Ellerbee are all fairly underwhelming so I feel like there's room for someone to stand out. We desperately need a LB that can play in coverage.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

First, I agree, not sure why all the Dickson hate. For his first year as a starter he did fine. The drops at the end, need to be corrected but the man made a lot of plays last year.

The breakout guys.

My first is the same everyone is picking....Jimmy Smith

Others
    Offense....Jacoby Jones and Osmele
    Defense......Sergio Kindle or Courtney Upshaw... and a long shot....not that Kindle is not....McAdoo.

Someone is going to emerge and help to fill the void of Suggs.

For the folks picking McPhee as a breakout player, what are you hoping for specifically?

He's the Ravens most valuable pass rusher already. Anything there will probably be a step back from a terrific rookie season.

To breakout, I think he'd have to become an every down player who can play the run effectively.

Guys who have a chance to take their game to a significantly higher level include all of the rookies, Smith, Dickson, Anthony Allen, Cody, McAdoo, and perhaps Kindle. Of those, I'd say Upshaw, Smith, and Dickson are the best hopes.