Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anquan boldin

Re: Anquan boldin

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    He's brought a lot in term of leadership and motivation on the offensive side of the ball. I've read a couple times how he got the offense's head in the right place on the sidelines at crucial times. I can't remember all the specific times but I remember the Arizona game last year being one of them. No we haven't gotten a lot of flash from him but I feel his presence has very important.
    I think what you guys are not getting here is that nobody would say Boldin hasn't been a valuable "presence," both on the field as a contributor and otherwise. The problem is that he is one of the top 10 highest paid WRs in the NFL. You don't pay that kind of money for "presence," you pay it for elite production, and Boldin has not given us elite production. He's given us Nate Washington/Jabar Gaffney/Malcom Floyd production for Marques Colston/Greg Jennings/Roddy White money. And that's a problem.

Again, I like Boldin a lot, but unless he agrees to a substantial paycut, I can't see him being on the roster in a year. This team URGENTLY needs a #1 target. IMO, they needed it this year and didn't get it, and that disappoints me, but it will be perhaps the #1 most pressing need next year unless someone really breaks out this year.

I think Torrey is going to overtake Anquan as the number one receiver by week 1. From week 1 to week 8 he caught 15 passes, and then caught 35 from weeks 9 to 16. His development and chemistry with Joe seemed to improve markedly as the season progressed and now reports are that Torrey is working out with Joe on their own.

There's no doubt in my mind that from a purely physical standpoint, Torrey has the potential to be a number 1, pro bowl quality receiver. All he needs to do is build on his second half of last season and work on his consistency.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I think Torrey is going to overtake Anquan as the number one receiver by week 1. From week 1 to week 8 he caught 15 passes, and then caught 35 from weeks 9 to 16. His development and chemistry with Joe seemed to improve markedly as the season progressed and now reports are that Torrey is working out with Joe on their own.

There's no doubt in my mind that from a purely physical standpoint, Torrey has the potential to be a number 1, pro bowl quality receiver. All he needs to do is build on his second half of last season and work on his consistency.
    We might have to agree to disagree here. Perhaps my standards for a true #1 WR are too high, but I don't view Torrey as really having that upside. There are just a few things that are going to hold him back IMO, and chief among them is his hands-catching. It's very, very hard to suddenly become a natural catcher of the football, which Torrey is not. Very few guys who catch a lot of balls with their body ever fully shake the dropsies and become 100% dependable catch magnets. I think as good as Torrey will ever be, he will never be that.

Torrey to me is your prototype #2, he's built to play flanker in our offense. Give him a little room off the line to help him beat the jam, let him work the short and deep passing game, I think he's going to be a great player for us and will sometimes draw double coverage. But this offense really needs a big, fast guy to play split end and be our #1--a Vincent Jackson, Hakeem Nicks, etc. type.

I laugh when certain people say Boldin is not comming back next year or hes not a number 1. I dont see Boldin leaving. He has Ray's leadership on our offense. And second do we really need a bonafide number 1? I rather have multiple weapons. And not ready to crown Torrey number 1 yet. But he is getting there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D-RavedUp5-27-52-20 View Post
    I laugh when certain people say Boldin is not comming back next year or hes not a number 1. I dont see Boldin leaving. He has Ray's leadership on our offense. And second do we really need a bonafide number 1? I rather have multiple weapons. And not ready to crown Torrey number 1 yet. But he is getting there.
    Boldin has a base salary of $6 million next season. They'll use that same money towards Dwayne Bowe or Mike Wallace or some other proven free agent on the good side of 30. If Boldin is gone that doesn't mean that Torrey has to be the #1. There will be other options out there.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He sure hasn't gotten them to hold on to balls that should be caught. That's the kind of leadership we really need.
    He's teaching them the new 4 hand approach

Attachment 983
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    He's teaching them the new 4 hand approach

Attachment 983
    LOL! Add even more gloves if that helps figure out how to hold on to the ball
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

I would think that many remember the TD pass that he dropped against Pittsburgh two playoff years ago. Joe put the ball right between the hair and the linebacker, where only Boldin could catch it. That should have been the go ahead TD. One defensive stop and the game would have been over. Even with the late TD, the final drive would have been for a FG to tie. Boldin lets the ball bounce off of his chest, before Houshmanzadeh drops one on fourth down.

You can even go as far back as 2009 to get into the issues with dropped passes. That Indianapolis playoff game was full of them.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I would think that many remember the TD pass that he dropped against Pittsburgh two playoff years ago. Joe put the ball right between the hair and the linebacker, where only Boldin could catch it. That should have been the go ahead TD. One defensive stop and the game would have been over. Even with the late TD, the final drive would have been for a FG to tie. Boldin lets the ball bounce off of his chest, before Houshmanzadeh drops one on fourth down.

You can even go as far back as 2009 to get into the issues with dropped passes. That Indianapolis playoff game was full of them.
    Thanks for the memories

Ricky Proehl would've held onto the ball AND made the defensive stop
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

He certainly would have held on to the ball. Ricky Proehl had hands.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

I like Q. A LOT.
    I don't want to see him go anywhere, because he's tough as nails and has been serviceable, but not great, for us.
    Some of that were expectations that he was going to be Fitz-like.
    But he has been solid.

So in his evaluation consider:

Does Boldin demand that coverages be rolled in his direction?
    If the answer is yes, he's a top #1 WR.
    If the answer is "no" or "not all the time," we've probably got a reliable guy playing the #1 role and we need to keep on looking.

That said, if you're a D Coord prepping for the ravens, who gets a second corner or safety over the top?

Q? Torrey? Neither? Spy RR?

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    I like Q. A LOT.
    I don't want to see him go anywhere, because he's tough as nails and has been serviceable, but not great, for us.
    Some of that were expectations that he was going to be Fitz-like.
    But he has been solid.

So in his evaluation consider:

Does Boldin demand that coverages be rolled in his direction?
    If the answer is yes, he's a top #1 WR.
    If the answer is "no" or "not all the time," we've probably got a reliable guy playing the #1 role and we need to keep on looking.

That said, if you're a D Coord prepping for the ravens, who gets a second corner or safety over the top?

Q? Torrey? Neither? Spy RR?
    My evaluation of Q is based on what you said AND who has been the O Coordinator.
    A good coach puts his players in the BEST opportunity to succeed.
    That is what a coach is supposed to do.
    You can have a system but you always should modify your system to help them succeed.
    That is your job.

So, EVEN with the restraints that have been on him from the get go, Boldin does require the number one corner while Torrey, due solely because of his speed AND the routes he runs under Cam's system, should have the second corner AND a safety over top. But after a certain distance, the second corner, if he sees Torrey is not getting the long ball, can cutoff his drop and look for receivers coming underneath, like Pitta or Dickson, or Q coming across on a long crossing route.

I think Boldin has done the best he can based on what they have been forcing him to do.
    Along with many others here, I want him in the slot, with another dangerous receiver outside of him and allow him to do what HE DOES BEST. The weapons are here. Does Cam know what to do with them? History says no.

Boldin IS a Raven. Find a way to keep him and allow him to do what he does best.
    And coach up all the young receivers we have, especially Doss and Streeter.
    Streeter has the physical tools to be great, Doss could have a coming out party, Jacoby Jones may have found a home. I am a little more than encouraged by the talent.

Is the arrival of Jim Caldwell the answer? Me thinks he might know what to do with those receivers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    My evaluation of Q is based on what you said AND who has been the O Coordinator.
    A good coach puts his players in the BEST opportunity to succeed.
    That is what a coach is supposed to do.
    You can have a system but you always should modify your system to help them succeed.
    That is your job.

So, EVEN with the restraints that have been on him from the get go, Boldin does require the number one corner while Torrey, due solely because of his speed AND the routes he runs under Cam's system, should have the second corner AND a safety over top. But after a certain distance, the second corner, if he sees Torrey is not getting the long ball, can cutoff his drop and look for receivers coming underneath, like Pitta or Dickson, or Q coming across on a long crossing route.

I think Boldin has done the best he can based on what they have been forcing him to do.
    Along with many others here, I want him in the slot, with another dangerous receiver outside of him and allow him to do what HE DOES BEST. The weapons are here. Does Cam know what to do with them? History says no.

Boldin IS a Raven. Find a way to keep him and allow him to do what he does best.
    And coach up all the young receivers we have, especially Doss and Streeter.
    Streeter has the physical tools to be great, Doss could have a coming out party, Jacoby Jones may have found a home. I am a little more than encouraged by the talent.

Is the arrival of Jim Caldwell the answer? Me thinks he might know what to do with those receivers.
    The Patriots didn't even need a Corner to cover Boldin. Julian Edelman a WR/RB and now a DB was very effective against Boldin. That's not a match up you expect to be a problem when you look at it on paper.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Patriots didn't even need a Corner to cover Boldin. Julian Edelman a WR/RB and now a DB was very effective against Boldin.
    ...maybe Cam Cameron was effective against Boldin.

Edelman couldn't cover Boldin AT ALL on the final drive when we HAD to pass.

Two minute drill = less structure from Cam = taking advantage of Joe's strengths and the opponents weakness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    ...maybe Cam Cameron was effective against Boldin.

Edelman couldn't cover Boldin AT ALL on the final drive when we HAD to pass.

Two minute drill = less structure from Cam = taking advantage of Joe's strengths and the opponents weakness.
    Why would the Patriots even consider putting Edelman on Boldin if they didn't feel that Torrey was the bigger threat? They're secondary played like crap almost the entire season and now you're going to put an offensive player on the Ravens #1 receiver? It sounds nuts but when it mattered most it worked and yes I do agree Cam was a big part of that.
    He Who Dares.....Wins