Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anquan boldin

Blog Entries

Re: Anquan boldin

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    He's teaching them the new 4 hand approach

Attachment 983
    LOL! Add even more gloves if that helps figure out how to hold on to the ball

Blog Entries

I would think that many remember the TD pass that he dropped against Pittsburgh two playoff years ago. Joe put the ball right between the hair and the linebacker, where only Boldin could catch it. That should have been the go ahead TD. One defensive stop and the game would have been over. Even with the late TD, the final drive would have been for a FG to tie. Boldin lets the ball bounce off of his chest, before Houshmanzadeh drops one on fourth down.

You can even go as far back as 2009 to get into the issues with dropped passes. That Indianapolis playoff game was full of them.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I would think that many remember the TD pass that he dropped against Pittsburgh two playoff years ago. Joe put the ball right between the hair and the linebacker, where only Boldin could catch it. That should have been the go ahead TD. One defensive stop and the game would have been over. Even with the late TD, the final drive would have been for a FG to tie. Boldin lets the ball bounce off of his chest, before Houshmanzadeh drops one on fourth down.

You can even go as far back as 2009 to get into the issues with dropped passes. That Indianapolis playoff game was full of them.
    Thanks for the memories :(

Ricky Proehl would've held onto the ball AND made the defensive stop

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

He certainly would have held on to the ball. Ricky Proehl had hands.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I like Q. A LOT.
    I don't want to see him go anywhere, because he's tough as nails and has been serviceable, but not great, for us.
    Some of that were expectations that he was going to be Fitz-like.
    But he has been solid.

So in his evaluation consider:

Does Boldin demand that coverages be rolled in his direction?
    If the answer is yes, he's a top #1 WR.
    If the answer is "no" or "not all the time," we've probably got a reliable guy playing the #1 role and we need to keep on looking.

That said, if you're a D Coord prepping for the ravens, who gets a second corner or safety over the top?

Q? Torrey? Neither? Spy RR?

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    I like Q. A LOT.
    I don't want to see him go anywhere, because he's tough as nails and has been serviceable, but not great, for us.
    Some of that were expectations that he was going to be Fitz-like.
    But he has been solid.

So in his evaluation consider:

Does Boldin demand that coverages be rolled in his direction?
    If the answer is yes, he's a top #1 WR.
    If the answer is "no" or "not all the time," we've probably got a reliable guy playing the #1 role and we need to keep on looking.

That said, if you're a D Coord prepping for the ravens, who gets a second corner or safety over the top?

Q? Torrey? Neither? Spy RR?
    My evaluation of Q is based on what you said AND who has been the O Coordinator.
    A good coach puts his players in the BEST opportunity to succeed.
    That is what a coach is supposed to do.
    You can have a system but you always should modify your system to help them succeed.
    That is your job.

So, EVEN with the restraints that have been on him from the get go, Boldin does require the number one corner while Torrey, due solely because of his speed AND the routes he runs under Cam's system, should have the second corner AND a safety over top. But after a certain distance, the second corner, if he sees Torrey is not getting the long ball, can cutoff his drop and look for receivers coming underneath, like Pitta or Dickson, or Q coming across on a long crossing route.

I think Boldin has done the best he can based on what they have been forcing him to do.
    Along with many others here, I want him in the slot, with another dangerous receiver outside of him and allow him to do what HE DOES BEST. The weapons are here. Does Cam know what to do with them? History says no.

Boldin IS a Raven. Find a way to keep him and allow him to do what he does best.
    And coach up all the young receivers we have, especially Doss and Streeter.
    Streeter has the physical tools to be great, Doss could have a coming out party, Jacoby Jones may have found a home. I am a little more than encouraged by the talent.

Is the arrival of Jim Caldwell the answer? Me thinks he might know what to do with those receivers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    My evaluation of Q is based on what you said AND who has been the O Coordinator.
    A good coach puts his players in the BEST opportunity to succeed.
    That is what a coach is supposed to do.
    You can have a system but you always should modify your system to help them succeed.
    That is your job.

So, EVEN with the restraints that have been on him from the get go, Boldin does require the number one corner while Torrey, due solely because of his speed AND the routes he runs under Cam's system, should have the second corner AND a safety over top. But after a certain distance, the second corner, if he sees Torrey is not getting the long ball, can cutoff his drop and look for receivers coming underneath, like Pitta or Dickson, or Q coming across on a long crossing route.

I think Boldin has done the best he can based on what they have been forcing him to do.
    Along with many others here, I want him in the slot, with another dangerous receiver outside of him and allow him to do what HE DOES BEST. The weapons are here. Does Cam know what to do with them? History says no.

Boldin IS a Raven. Find a way to keep him and allow him to do what he does best.
    And coach up all the young receivers we have, especially Doss and Streeter.
    Streeter has the physical tools to be great, Doss could have a coming out party, Jacoby Jones may have found a home. I am a little more than encouraged by the talent.

Is the arrival of Jim Caldwell the answer? Me thinks he might know what to do with those receivers.
    The Patriots didn't even need a Corner to cover Boldin. Julian Edelman a WR/RB and now a DB was very effective against Boldin. That's not a match up you expect to be a problem when you look at it on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Patriots didn't even need a Corner to cover Boldin. Julian Edelman a WR/RB and now a DB was very effective against Boldin.
    ...maybe Cam Cameron was effective against Boldin.

Edelman couldn't cover Boldin AT ALL on the final drive when we HAD to pass.

Two minute drill = less structure from Cam = taking advantage of Joe's strengths and the opponents weakness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    ...maybe Cam Cameron was effective against Boldin.

Edelman couldn't cover Boldin AT ALL on the final drive when we HAD to pass.

Two minute drill = less structure from Cam = taking advantage of Joe's strengths and the opponents weakness.
    Why would the Patriots even consider putting Edelman on Boldin if they didn't feel that Torrey was the bigger threat? They're secondary played like crap almost the entire season and now you're going to put an offensive player on the Ravens #1 receiver? It sounds nuts but when it mattered most it worked and yes I do agree Cam was a big part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Why would the Patriots even consider putting Edelman on Boldin if they didn't feel that Torrey was the bigger threat? They're secondary played like crap almost the entire season and now you're going to put an offensive player on the Ravens #1 receiver? It sounds nuts but when it mattered most it worked and yes I do agree Cam was a big part of that.
    I agree that in our offense, Torrey is the bigger threat. He is put in a position to succeed. He is a vertical receiver. Boldin is not. But he is used as one in our offense. He flourishes inside ie. Final Steelers GW drive.

Blog Entries

Dind ding we have a winnnnaahhhhh! GOTA nailed it. In THIS system teams can put a substandard CB on Boldin, it's happened ALL year. Not because of his abilities, but because of the tape on how he's used. Look at not just that game, but especially the later half of the season, Torrey was drawing the best corner, AND over the top help. Not saying Torrey is a #1 but thats how predictable Cam is.

HOPEfully with Streeter they go more 3 wide sets. Honestly Doss will be pushed down the depth chart, and eventually let go and be a solid #2 for some other team.

Ptta will be the primary TE with specific packages for Dickson and thats it. Write this down, bank it, bet you're next paycheck on it but I'll guarntee that this is exactly what happens the majority of the time next year.

The following year, who knows but Boldin won't be here hopefully Cam won't either and we can get someone in that can use our players to their strengths. Than again I have a feeling RR wont be here either. He's much better suited for a different system.

In a perfect world you don't go pay Leach the money we did. The personnel and their strengths haveus at a 3 wide formation MOST of the time with a single RB(Rice). Were setup for a west coast style offense, hell even our OL is setup, or pushed into that role.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    But he gets paid like a #1 wr.

His $6mil salary for 2012 is the 7th highest for a receiver in the entire league.

Thats the thing...he was brought in to be that #1 guy but it hasnt worked out that way.
    1. 6 million is number 2 receiver money, not even close to number 1 money which is 9-10 million. And number 2's don't put up the production Boldin does, in a run based offense no less.

2. That said, we are getting tremendous value out of him and both our starting WR in general.

3. Not that it matters, but no clue where you came up with only 7 players making more than him, not remotely accurate.

CJ
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Wes Welker
    Vincent Jackson
    Dwayne Bowe
    Santonio Holmes
    Brandon Marshall
    Stevie Johnson
    Steve Smith
    Roddy White
    Greg Jennings
    Marques Colston
    Desean Jackson
    Pierre Garcon
    Mike Wallace

That is 15 by my count.

So Boldin is paid like a 2, produces like a borderline 1 in an offense that is not conducive to big WR stats, and is by all accounts a great guy on and off the field.

What exactly are you complaining about again?
    Last edited by TheJoeFlaccoShow; 05-24-2012 at 09:50 PM.