Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anquan boldin

Blog Entries

Re: Anquan boldin

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I don't consider his two years here "underwhelming" -- maybe those who think that had expectations that might have been a little lofty. I certainly still think it was a good trade. I was always a Mason fan but I don't know what you mean when you say Mason brought more to the team than Boldin.

Having said that, I'm all for upgrading the passing game, but it goes beyond the WRs. I still remember Greg Cosell's somewhat scathing indictment of Cam's offensive game plans last year, which as I recall was that the plays and formations were all so predictable. I'm not confident that will change this coming season but I wish it would.
    I know a lot of it has to do with Boldin just not being a great fit in Cam's offense, but if you look back at his stats he's down across the board in a lot of different areas since coming to Baltimore.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I don't consider his two years here "underwhelming" -- maybe those who think that had expectations that might have been a little lofty. I certainly still think it was a good trade. I was always a Mason fan but I don't know what you mean when you say Mason brought more to the team than Boldin.

Having said that, I'm all for upgrading the passing game, but it goes beyond the WRs. I still remember Greg Cosell's somewhat scathing indictment of Cam's offensive game plans last year, which as I recall was that the plays and formations were all so predictable. I'm not confident that will change this coming season but I wish it would.
    When you pay someone in the top 10 at their position you are expecting a top 10 performance. The Ravens can't be pleased with how things have turned out since they had to lay out a lot of money and cap space without the return that money should get you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Chalk me up as being super disappointed with Boldin as a Raven.

He's one of my favorite players and has been since he was a Cardinal. I'm not a Florida State fan or even a Cardinals fan, but I have to respect and admire a player who plays the way he does. He's a bull playing a finesse position and I think it's great.

Yes, I certainly agree that Cam has completely misused Boldin since being here, but I've seen Boldin drop more passes than I can remember and it's rare to see him break tackles and gain those tough YAC that he was so famous for as a Cardinal.
    couldnt have said it better myself. Love the player he was/sometimes still can be, but hes not been quite the same guy, even if the system is holding him back, its bigger than that. when you factor in that he basically played like a RB all these years with his age, i think it explains what were seeing. its not a complete drop off like you see with RBs, but he hasnt had nearly the touches a RB has.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 05-24-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post
    i agree with the big price tag but i would hope the market would support a reduced price and the ravens keep him. he plays like a raven and i would hate to lose him as a possesion receiver. i thought leron mcclain played like a raven as well and i hated to see him go to KC.
    Believe me I do also, something in the range of 2-3M per year, that would still put him in the top 20 in the league as far as salary is concerned, maybe 3-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    When you pay someone in the top 10 at their position you are expecting a top 10 performance. The Ravens can't be pleased with how things have turned out since they had to lay out a lot of money and cap space without the return that money should get you.
    He's brought a lot in term of leadership and motivation on the offensive side of the ball. I've read a couple times how he got the offense's head in the right place on the sidelines at crucial times. I can't remember all the specific times but I remember the Arizona game last year being one of them. No we haven't gotten a lot of flash from him but I feel his presence has very important.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    He's brought a lot in term of leadership and motivation on the offensive side of the ball. I've read a couple times how he got the offense's head in the right place on the sidelines at crucial times. I can't remember all the specific times but I remember the Arizona game last year being one of them. No we haven't gotten a lot of flash from him but I feel his presence has very important.
    He sure hasn't gotten them to hold on to balls that should be caught. That's the kind of leadership we really need.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    I think what you guys are not getting here is that nobody would say Boldin hasn't been a valuable "presence," both on the field as a contributor and otherwise. The problem is that he is one of the top 10 highest paid WRs in the NFL. You don't pay that kind of money for "presence," you pay it for elite production, and Boldin has not given us elite production. He's given us Nate Washington/Jabar Gaffney/Malcom Floyd production for Marques Colston/Greg Jennings/Roddy White money. And that's a problem.

Again, I like Boldin a lot, but unless he agrees to a substantial paycut, I can't see him being on the roster in a year. This team URGENTLY needs a #1 target. IMO, they needed it this year and didn't get it, and that disappoints me, but it will be perhaps the #1 most pressing need next year unless someone really breaks out this year.

I think Torrey is going to overtake Anquan as the number one receiver by week 1. From week 1 to week 8 he caught 15 passes, and then caught 35 from weeks 9 to 16. His development and chemistry with Joe seemed to improve markedly as the season progressed and now reports are that Torrey is working out with Joe on their own.

There's no doubt in my mind that from a purely physical standpoint, Torrey has the potential to be a number 1, pro bowl quality receiver. All he needs to do is build on his second half of last season and work on his consistency.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I think Torrey is going to overtake Anquan as the number one receiver by week 1. From week 1 to week 8 he caught 15 passes, and then caught 35 from weeks 9 to 16. His development and chemistry with Joe seemed to improve markedly as the season progressed and now reports are that Torrey is working out with Joe on their own.

There's no doubt in my mind that from a purely physical standpoint, Torrey has the potential to be a number 1, pro bowl quality receiver. All he needs to do is build on his second half of last season and work on his consistency.
    We might have to agree to disagree here. Perhaps my standards for a true #1 WR are too high, but I don't view Torrey as really having that upside. There are just a few things that are going to hold him back IMO, and chief among them is his hands-catching. It's very, very hard to suddenly become a natural catcher of the football, which Torrey is not. Very few guys who catch a lot of balls with their body ever fully shake the dropsies and become 100% dependable catch magnets. I think as good as Torrey will ever be, he will never be that.

Torrey to me is your prototype #2, he's built to play flanker in our offense. Give him a little room off the line to help him beat the jam, let him work the short and deep passing game, I think he's going to be a great player for us and will sometimes draw double coverage. But this offense really needs a big, fast guy to play split end and be our #1--a Vincent Jackson, Hakeem Nicks, etc. type.

I laugh when certain people say Boldin is not comming back next year or hes not a number 1. I dont see Boldin leaving. He has Ray's leadership on our offense. And second do we really need a bonafide number 1? I rather have multiple weapons. And not ready to crown Torrey number 1 yet. But he is getting there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D-RavedUp5-27-52-20 View Post
    I laugh when certain people say Boldin is not comming back next year or hes not a number 1. I dont see Boldin leaving. He has Ray's leadership on our offense. And second do we really need a bonafide number 1? I rather have multiple weapons. And not ready to crown Torrey number 1 yet. But he is getting there.
    Boldin has a base salary of $6 million next season. They'll use that same money towards Dwayne Bowe or Mike Wallace or some other proven free agent on the good side of 30. If Boldin is gone that doesn't mean that Torrey has to be the #1. There will be other options out there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He sure hasn't gotten them to hold on to balls that should be caught. That's the kind of leadership we really need.
    He's teaching them the new 4 hand approach

Attachment 983

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!