Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anquan boldin

Blog Entries

Anquan boldin

Q is down at the castle for voluntary OTA's, sharing his knowledge with the young WR's and putting in work.

A lot of talk lately about how underwelming his 2 years with the team have been, and i was just wondering what some of you guys thought about it.

His numbers have been pretty mediocre for a #1 wr. They dont even hold up when looking at what derrick mason brought to this team. Does the leadership he brings and his threat as a downfield blocker offset what he has lacked in receptions and yardage? Is it all camerons fault? Was he worth the draft picks and salary? Is he a better option in the slot than dickson/pitta at this point? Does he have a future with the team beyond 2012?

A lot of question marks surrounding our "#1" WR these days, IMO.
    Last edited by ballhawk; 05-23-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Anquan boldin

To begin, Anquan Boldin still is a great WR. However, a majority of the blame should actually fall on Ozzie, because Boldin never represented a fit for this system. We were all excited when he was acquired and came up with every excuse in the world as to how he could be a successful deep threat, myself included. However, he was never systematic fit. In Arizona, they ran a plethora of three WR sets, with Boldin in the slot, for a quick passing game.

So, I COULD say that he's been misused. However, I don't expect many coordinators to modify their systems without the proper pieces to run the original system in the first place. Green Bay has been running a modified WCO from the jump. Other than them, the only other team that has modified its system for the talent around it, worth note, is New England, when they had Moss. It just does not successfully happen that often. Most successful teams will find the right pieces for their system.

We've seen Cam stick Boldin in the slot when they do go 3 WR. However, he really hasn't been given the pieces to do that consistently.

Otherwise, Boldin is the exact type of player to fit in here, and I've been glad to have him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Boldin had a decent year, as far as Ravens go, last year. He missed two games, but had he not, he would have finished with 1013 yards (projecting). His YPR was a yard and a half higher than Mason's ever was while here (15.6 for Boldin vs 14.1 best for Mase).

But I agree that we need our #1 to be more in line with the better teams' #1s in terms of production. But I am not sure that will happen with Cam here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    To begin, Anquan Boldin still is a great WR. However, a majority of the blame should actually fall on Ozzie, because Boldin never represented a fit for this system. We were all excited when he was acquired and came up with every excuse in the world as to how he could be a successful deep threat, myself included. However, he was never systematic fit. In Arizona, they ran a plethora of three WR sets, with Boldin in the slot, for a quick passing game.

So, I COULD say that he's been misused. However, I don't expect many coordinators to modify their systems without the proper pieces to run the original system in the first place. Green Bay has been running a modified WCO from the jump. Other than them, the only other team that has modified its system for the talent around it, worth note, is New England, when they had Moss. It just does not successfully happen that often. Most successful teams will find the right pieces for their system.

We've seen Cam stick Boldin in the slot when they do go 3 WR. However, he really hasn't been given the pieces to do that consistently.

Otherwise, Boldin is the exact type of player to fit in here, and I've been glad to have him.
    Quality post. I agree 100%. Boldin is a good player, but has been a bad fit from the start for us. He just doesn't fit the scheme at all. If he were used like he was in Arizona--playing strictly off the line at flanker/in the slot, catching short passes over the middle, roaming and finding holes in zone--he would be great. But we don't use him like that; we have him play the sidelines and go deep.

He's also physically not quite the player he was in Arizona, but he has been healthier overall here, perhaps partly as a result of sending him across the middle less often. Overall, is he worth the money? In a vacuum, probably not, but it is what it is. I certainly think this team needs to be working aggressively towards finding better options at WR in the draft, hopefully some guys who fit the scheme better.

Blog Entries

Lee Evans getting hurt messed them up bad.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Simply put, cam cameron does not use him correctly. Not even close.

Blog Entries

Boldin is in year 3 of a 4 year deal. He won't be here next season because he's due to make $6 million. They'll put that money into another free agent WR instead.

Blog Entries

He's been misutilized, period. His whole game surround's the quick slant and out muscling defenders and Cam hasn't called that. It doesn't even have to be in the slot can be from the outside. Anyone that thought he has ever been a deep threat in his career obviously hasn't paid attention.

Was he worth the money? I say no to be honest. But thats just me. Total disapointment in the way he's been utilized. As for does he have a future after this year, doubtfull that we resign him unless its at a bargain price.

Blog Entries

Agree with everyone on how he's been misused as a player. Nothing wrong with sending him deep, but that is not his game.

Blog Entries

Cam used to send Heap deep too. I can even remember him sending McGahee deep on occasion which made no sense at all. Doesn't matter how square that peg is. Cam is going to keep forcing it into the round hole.

I think what will be pivotal is another WR developing to the point where they can utilize Boldin in the slot. Also would like to see more slants and drag routes, even bubble screens to get him yac opportunities. If not will get much of the same from Q, he's just not a consistent game changer outside. And thats not to rag on him, he's a really good football player.

Blog Entries

Cam is a shitty offensive coordinator. A lockout saved his job. Period. Next question.