Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Could we be looking at another "three headed monster" in 2012?

Anthony Allen is looking sharp at the OTA's so far, we spent a third round pick on a very productive back at college in Bernard Pierce, and Ray Rice is well... Ray Rice. Whether we get Rice inked long term or not, is it possible that we could be giving a lot more carries to our back up RB's this season, and could be seeing another 2008 sort of year? Ray Rice will still be getting a lot of carries, but we all know he isn't the greatest of backs at picking up the short yards, but have two potential backs who could excel in that area. We also have a talented undrafted back from last year in Damien Berry, who will indeed be in the mix.

The Ravens have done nothing in the offseason to suggest that we are going be getting away from pounding the ball, we added a big physical mauler of a guard in the second round, and a big RB in the third round, we added no WR's until the 6th, but did sign Jacoby Jones (no one special). With the pass happy teams on our schedule this year, it wouldn't surprise me if Cam is taking the "lets run the ball, run the clock, and keep their offenses off the field" kind of approach. Personally I think this wouldn't be a bad thing, we could limit the carries Rice gets which keep him more fresh, (I think one of the problems with his performances in the play offs is due to the work load he's been asked to carry out in the regular season) and we could also see if we have anything in AA and Pierce should Rice not sign a long term deal. With Vonta Leach there, he is always going to make any back he blocks for look better.

Re: Could we be looking at another "three headed monster" in 2012?

Ive been saying this all along, so have a few others. Limit his carries for two reasons

1) If we do resign him it will prolong his life
    2) It could give us more leverage if alleb/pierce show anything because we'd know we can move on without him

Win win situation

Blog Entries

I don't think so. We'll carry the 3 ut Allen and Pierce are battling for that primary backup role. You're not gonna pay a guy 7.7M and than lower his touches and give them to unprovens. Besides do you really think a leopard changes it's spots, i.e Cam? Hell no hes gonna send Jones and Torrey deep and Boldin on a sideline route 75% of the passing time. lol

and what excatly does cam sending boldin and torrey deep on pass plays have anything to do with how we spread out the RB carries? come on, that was just an attempt to get an insult in when it wasnt needed. This has nothing to do with the passing game, its a question of will we see our back ups be put in on running plays more often than previous years.

RR has had over 400 touches inc playoffs in the past two years, that should be a lot lower, 300 touches would be plenty for him to do what he does, while keeping him fresh and hopefully get better playoff preformances from him, while extending his life

Blog Entries

People seem to forget that the three headed monster in 2008 didn't happen by design. It happened because of circumstances. McGahee, Boller, and Troy Smith going down really forced Cameron's hand at giving McClain some carries. It was the only way to avoid having your offense depend totally on two rookies. If McGahee had been healthy and in shape to start the season, I really don't think McClain would have ever gotten as many carries as he did. McClain benefited from the injuries to RR and McGahee that year.

I think the fact that all 3 of those guys were on team for two more seasons after that and that entire thing all but disappeared pretty much proves that the 3 headed monster was not how they wanted the offense to look. I doubt that changes now. Even with RR getting 300/ 400 touches per year. Again, they had McGahee and McClain for two of the last 3 years and they never bothered to try to limit RR touches.

Blog Entries

They have to replace Ricky William's production with someone. Maybe it's Allen, maybe someone they haven't signed yet. IMO it's about finding that guy

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

As far as what our offensive philosophy could be this year against all the top tier QB's, I like the idea of running the ball a lot more. It makes the defense stack more guys in the box, which leaves them vulnerable to a home-run play by Torrey, Streeter, or Jones. I think this is the style that Cam wants to set up. Steady ground attack, which gives us the opportunity to "swing for the fences" with some deep post/9 routes.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I don't think so. We'll carry the 3 ut Allen and Pierce are battling for that primary backup role. You're not gonna pay a guy 7.7M and than lower his touches and give them to unprovens. Besides do you really think a leopard changes it's spots, i.e Cam? Hell no hes gonna send Jones and Torrey deep and Boldin on a sideline route 75% of the passing time. lol
    New contract with RR will be based on $ amount per carry. Plays with negative yardage, RR pays Ravens. LOL Have to wait and see who comes out of camp looking healthy and ready to run. Three headed monster could happen if the OL gets better and Cam calls a great game offensively.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    and what excatly does cam sending boldin and torrey deep on pass plays have anything to do with how we spread out the RB carries? come on, that was just an attempt to get an insult in when it wasnt needed. This has nothing to do with the passing game, its a question of will we see our back ups be put in on running plays more often than previous years.

RR has had over 400 touches inc playoffs in the past two years, that should be a lot lower, 300 touches would be plenty for him to do what he does, while keeping him fresh and hopefully get better playoff preformances from him, while extending his life
    MJD touched it 386 times last year(341 the year before), RR 367(and the year before 370, don't know where you're getting 400+ from). Foster did 331(391 the year before). If you look at the top backs low 300's to the 340 range is about he average and typical. You're NOT taking that may touches out of a guy like RR's hands and handing them to a unproven, is all I'm saying. ONE of the 2 will need to step up and take Ricky's carries, and Willis's from the year before, and even throw in a few extra short yardage plays and thats about it.

Blog Entries

MJD touched it 386 times last year(341 the year before), RR 367(and the year before 370, don't know where you're getting 400+ from). Foster did 331(391 the year before). If you look at the top backs low 300's to the 340 range is about he average and typical. You're NOT taking that may touches out of a guy like RR's hands and handing them to a unproven, is all I'm saying. ONE of the 2 will need to step up and take Ricky's carries, and Willis's from the year before, and even throw in a few extra short yardage plays and thats about it.
    They may be unproven, but what happens if Pierce and AA start averaging at around 5 yards whenever they get the ball? If your back ups can be effective, I say you give more carries to them to keep Rice fresh. In the play offs he has clearly not been 100 % because of the work load. He looked good in the 2010 game against the Patriots because he never carried the ball that much in 08.

im including playoffs here, i clearly said "inc playoffs in the past twp years".... i dont know how you didnt see that, i also said touches...

The rushing attack was average to slightly above average last year. Not sure that the team is going to be able to run the ball better this season with a rookie guard and Birk a year older. The offense was up and down as the team tried to pound the ball. With the Raven's poor oline coaching doubt they have enough carries to spread around to 3 running backs.