Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens were healthiest Team in 2011

Ravens were healthiest team in 2011

Normally id say the healthiest team come Playoffs is a team that goes on a run, but as this article points out, the last few champions were really banged up. Last year we were surprising healthy for the extent of the season as far as major contributors. This year the injury bug has already hit us, much like 2010 with foxworth. Weve been proven over the last few years to be able to handle injuries and continue to be successful. The new strategy of letting younger players play earlier seems to be working on multiple levels. I did think last year was the year we were suppose to win, but with the way our team is set up, we should always be a consistent contender. Heres hoping for another healthy season or another banged up Champion, whichever ends with us hoisting the lombardi.
    -JAB

Re: Ravens were healthiest Team in 2011

Who's been our strength and conditioning coach since Harbs took over?

I remember reading a profile of Harbs a while back that mentioned he had this huge "book of football" that included everything from motivational speeches to plays to proper technique to even diet and injury prevention methods.

I know Ray is also an Iron Man. I can't help but wonder if they've been putting our players on a better track in respect to taking care of themselves.

Blog Entries

It's surprising. Especially considering the lockout. I expected many more injuries just based on guys being away from the watchful eye of team doctors for so long.

Blog Entries

Interesting. Not going to go overboard here but I do believe Ray has a strong influence on the diet and health habits of a lot of those guys. He's just a machine in the weight room and diet, gets all the guys t use the ice tank, etc. I've heard several players talk about how he changed their thinking on things

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Id say its possibly one of those little things Harbs brought to us that made us more consistent, but the year before we were ranked in the middle of the league and still were 12-4. Im sure Rays influence is not taken lightly. Not many guys 34+ in the league at LB let alone still being a dominant player. That has to resonate with younger players looking for longevity, seeing him as the lead example. Not sure really what it all means, but id still say the healthiest teams usually end up being the better ones at the end of the year, even if the last 2 champs dont necessarily prove that. Probably says more about Ozzie and our depth than anything else, as we always have somebody to step up when we do get those rare injuries.
    -JAB

IIRC, the team also gives the older players a day off or something?

I remember reading that somewhere but don't remember what the age limit is or how much time off they get to rest and heal up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    IIRC, the team also gives the older players a day off or something?

I remember reading that somewhere but don't remember what the age limit is or how much time off they get to rest and heal up.
    I know that was a big thing with Billick. I think Harbs took that away at first and the went back to it as well. the "over 30 club" i believe.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Last year really was our year. The Ravens had everything in world going for them and couldn't get it done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Last year really was our year. The Ravens had everything in world going for them and couldn't get it done
    Not saying this year cant be, but no doubt in my mind last year should have been us. frustrating for sure.
    -JAB

Thus is the refrain after every good season.

Blog Entries

I have felt the same way all off season. The Ravens had a relatively easy schedule last year, which set them up nicely for the playoffs. They also didn't have injuries to key players. Last year was the Ravens year to win it all. I firmly believe that the Ravens would have beaten the Giants in the Super Bowl. The two teams that I thought they couldn't beat due to unfavorable match-ups were the Packers and the Saints, but those teams got knocked out. That offensive game plan in the Patriots game and the inability or unwillingness to make in-game adjustments to better handle Wilfork were inexcusable.

This year, the Ravens have a very tough schedule, the Steelers OL looks to be much improved, and the Ravens have already suffered a serious injury to Suggs and have lost Grubbs in FA. The road to the Super Bowl will be much tougher this year.

The concerning thing here is regression to the mean. If you look at FO's numbers over the years, there's only a few random teams that have stuck on the "very healthy" side of things consistently, so its likely this this year we'll see more injuries (though Suggs alone probably handled that, if he misses the season I think that's 16 AGL right there, and we only had 18 total last year). The whole GB type thing where a crazy injured team wins the Super bowl can give us all hope though.