Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: What's Everyone Drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I had an outstanding Dubbel the other night. I'm a big fan of Tripel's as well, but sometimes they teeter on the brink of being a barley wine and I've never been a big barley wine guy.
    I know what you mean, but the Merry Monks' has great flavor IMO.

If I have a choice between Smithwick's and Harp, I will take a Harp every time. Its just that Smithwick's is much more widely available, at least around here.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    If I have a choice between Smithwick's and Harp, I will take a Harp every time. Its just that Smithwick's is much more widely available, at least around here.
    Word.

I went to an Irish Pub in Falls Church with my wife a few months ago and the only Irish beer they had on tap was Guinness. They had Shock Top, Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Yuengling. No Harp. No Murphy's.

It was a garbage place anyway.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Word.

I went to an Irish Pub in Falls Church with my wife a few months ago and the only Irish beer they had on tap was Guinness. They had Shock Top, Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Yuengling. No Harp. No Murphy's.

It was a garbage place anyway.
    And they probably had a shitty pour for their Guinness on top of it.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And they probably had a shitty pour for their Guinness on top of it.
    It was actually flat...which is saying something because Guinness isn't entirely carbonated to begin with, but this just tasted...I dont know...stale I guess.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.

Orange Crush at Harborside in West OC!
    Everybody's talkin' at me; I don't hear a word they're saying; Only the echoes of my mind

I'm going where the sun keeps shining; Thru' the pouring rain; Going where the weather suits my clothes

Banking off of the North East winds; Sailing on a summer breeze; And skipping over the ocean like a stone

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Most Americans who partied with us in Ireland the year we met you were also pretty impressed with Smithwick's. Full bodied, smooth, but without the nasty aftertaste of Guiness. Of course, we were getting Smithwick's drawn at "Smoke-free" (ha-ha!) pubs of rural Éire, instead of bottled for export.
    What's everyone drinking? Always a great "Off-topic" topic.

I do not have a sophisticated enough palette to appreciate Smithwicks (I think it is was Bud Light drinkers drink when they want to have something Irish around St. Patty's day).

I generally drink Guinness at all times during the year. Tried Murphy's a few times when I was in Cork, but I prefer Guinness, especially on tap in Ireland.

I understand someone in Easton purchased the rights to National Premium, and managed to get the original recipe from one of the former brewers for the original National Brewing Company. I do not think much of Natty Boh, but I loved National Premium--the official beer of Homestead 4th of July and Labor day crabfeasts. Should be out in very limited quantities this week end.

Hope I can find some ( Oh yeah --the color of the label is the original purple). It will look great in my tailgate cooler.

It was actually flat...which is saying something because Guinness isn't entirely carbonated to begin with, but this just tasted...I dont know...stale I guess.
    Actually Guinness has more carbonation, albeit different, than most brews.

They add nitrogen to the draught keg. It's what gives the pour it's distinctive cascade effect and it's head.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    What's everyone drinking? Always a great "Off-topic" topic.

I do not have a sophisticated enough palette to appreciate Smithwicks (I think it is was Bud Light drinkers drink when they want to have something Irish around St. Patty's day).

I generally drink Guinness at all times during the year. Tried Murphy's a few times when I was in Cork, but I prefer Guinness, especially on tap in Ireland.

I understand someone in Easton purchased the rights to National Premium, and managed to get the original recipe from one of the former brewers for the original National Brewing Company. I do not think much of Natty Boh, but I loved National Premium--the official beer of Homestead 4th of July and Labor day crabfeasts. Should be out in very limited quantities this week end.

Hope I can find some ( Oh yeah --the color of the label is the original purple). It will look great in my tailgate cooler.
    From what I understand, the craft brew McHenry's is the National Premium recipe.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

I stick to a few favorite brands. Luksusowa Vodka, straight out of the freezer. It's rare to find a potato vodka any more, and this one is remarkably smooth and highly underrated. Bombay martini (Not Sapphire! No vermouth!), straight up, jumbo olives stuffed with blue cheese. And I am currently trying various vineyards of Malbec wines.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I stick to a few favorite brands. Luksusowa Vodka, straight out of the freezer. It's rare to find a potato vodka any more, and this one is remarkably smooth and highly underrated. Bombay martini (Not Sapphire! No vermouth!), straight up, jumbo olives stuffed with blue cheese. And I am currently trying various vineyards of Malbec wines.
    If you're into Malbecs, you have to try this one pictured below.

Paul Hobbs' Argentinian collection featured a Malbec called El Felino. It was one of the best Malbec's I've ever had. Bottle price is mid 20's I believe, so somewhat pricey, but man it's good.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Blog Entries

Hey, thanks for the tip! I have not tried that one yet.

Has anyone tried anything from the new microbrewery here in southern DE- 16 Mile?
    They like their hops
    And the Beatdown goes on.......

Quote Originally Posted by Dark&Stormy View Post
    Has anyone tried anything from the new microbrewery here in southern DE- 16 Mile?
    They like their hops
    I've had it several times. I remember the Amber Sun and Old Court. Neither seemed too hoppy to me. I don't believe I have had their IPA though...
    Everybody's talkin' at me; I don't hear a word they're saying; Only the echoes of my mind

I'm going where the sun keeps shining; Thru' the pouring rain; Going where the weather suits my clothes

Banking off of the North East winds; Sailing on a summer breeze; And skipping over the ocean like a stone

Blog Entries

My avatar speaks for me on this...