Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ed Reed at it again

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Its not going to be huge...just a few years with a decent little bonus on it. I guarantee it is one of the scenerios that bisciotti alluded to when he said they have a few different ways to get some more cap room.

If somebody that ozzie likes gets cut during camp/preseason, i think reed is one of the first guys they go to.
    Reed would never take that. He thinks he's going to be among the highest paid safeties in the NFL next year. He's not going to figure it out until he's on the market and the offers aren't there. It's exactly like Ray who I'm pretty sure was even the same age when he last hit the market.

If Ozzie needs space all he has to do is restructure Ngata or Suggs. That would do the same thing as extending Reed without forcing them to add salary in future years.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

But why do you assume that he has such a high asking price?

His remarks last offseason made it sound more like he was just looking for the security of a nice chunk of bonus money. Ive never heard him complain about his salary or say that he isnt making enough money or anything.

Ravor said he doesnt even have an agent right now. If he was trying to get silly money dont you think he would at least have an agent?

Its not going to be huge...just a few years with a decent little bonus on it. I guarantee it is one of the scenerios that bisciotti alluded to when he said they have a few different ways to get some more cap room.

If somebody that ozzie likes gets cut during camp/preseason, i think reed is one of the first guys they go to.
    You're being a tad naive. "just a few years with a decent little bonus on it" If you really think Ed will take that and smile and say think you then you're mistaking. Its pretty clear to everyone that he wants a be paid among the highest.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    You're being a tad naive. "just a few years with a decent little bonus on it" If you really think Ed will take that and smile and say think you then you're mistaking. Its pretty clear to everyone that he wants a be paid among the highest.
    ok...you can assume that he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league and i will assume that he just wants a reasonable extension. Truth is neither of us know, and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Ed Reed will be 34 this season and his still playing at a very high level. The better safeties usually play well into their later 30's. Just cuz he doesnt get 8 ints and hundreds of return yards doesnt mean he isnt still an absolutely integral part of the defense. This team needs both his leadership and his skills on the field for a few more seasons. I think this is Ray's last year. You dont want to lose both those guys at the same time. The FO needs to be proactive in getting him extended, imho.
    Last edited by ballhawk; 05-18-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Blog Entries

His remarks last offseason made it sound more like he was just looking for the security of a nice chunk of bonus money. Ive never heard him complain about his salary or say that he isnt making enough money or anything.

Ravor said he doesnt even have an agent right now. If he was trying to get silly money dont you think he would at least have an agent?
    Come on. He compared his situation to Peyton Manning, who just happened to be one of the highest paid players in the league with the deal he signed.

Make no mistake, he wants Eric Weddell/ Eric Berry money.

Blog Entries

I assume he has such a high asking price because he's said it. When Polamalu got a 4 year extension last year for big money Reed said he deserved more. He also complained when Eric Weddle set a new record for a contract by a safety. Whenever you hear a player talk about contract and respect they are upset about money. Wait and see
    He Who Dares.....Wins

ok...you can assume that he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league and i will assume that he just wants a reasonable extension. Truth is neither of us know, and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Ed Reed will be 34 this season and his still playing at a very high level. The better safeties usually play well into their later 30's. Just cuz he doesnt get 8 ints and hundreds of return yards doesnt mean he isnt still an absolutely integral part of the defense. This team needs both his leadership and his skills on the field for a few more seasons. I think this is Ray's last year. You dont want to lose both those guys at the same time. The FO needs to be proactive in getting him extended, imho.
    Dude did you not hear him talk about Peyton, and basically comparing himself to Peyton, and how much money Peyton Got?

Dude he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league, or very close to it. Its pretty evident from everything he's pulled this offseason.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    Dude did you not hear him talk about Peyton, and basically comparing himself to Peyton, and how much money Peyton Got?

Dude he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league, or very close to it. Its pretty evident from everything he's pulled this offseason.
    In that interview, he prefaced those Manning comments with, and i quote...

"My plan when i went to negotiate was always, its always to help the team. I was not trying to break the bank..."

Just like with Ray Rice, we dont actually know what he is asking for. Im just not ready to jump all over the guy over a couple meaningless radio interviews in may.

We all know Ed is a sensitive dude...and he did get slighted by bisciotti a couple months ago. None of this crap matters once he steps on the field and its my position that the ravens need to lock him up through 2014.

I believe that the Ravens made Ed Reed the highest paid safety in the league when he signed his contract. Subsequently, other safeties got bigger paydays as is always the case. After this season, Reed can test FA and see how much someone is willing to pay him, which is when everyone will find out how much he is worth at this point in his career. I am sure the Ravens will top any reasonable offer. I think Reed is in for a big disappointment when he doesn't get the kind of offers that he thinks he will get.

Blog Entries

In that interview, he prefaced those Manning comments with, and i quote...

"My plan when i went to negotiate was always, its always to help the team. I was not trying to break the bank..."

Just like with Ray Rice, we dont actually know what he is asking for. Im just not ready to jump all over the guy over a couple meaningless radio interviews in may.

We all know Ed is a sensitive dude...and he did get slighted by bisciotti a couple months ago. None of this crap matters once he steps on the field and its my position that the ravens need to lock him up through 2014.
    Ed Reed is my favorite Raven. I'd also love it if they lock him up through 2014 but I don't see it happening. Part of what's pissing him off is that the Ravens aren't even talking to him about an extension. I think would rather say nothing than give Ed the numbers that the Ravens are really willing to pay which would piss him off even more.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

As much as I love Ed, as well as the rest of the Ravens, I have very little sympathy for the financial plight of any major athlete, regardless of sport.

Every athlete in each of the 4 major sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) are grossly overpaid for what they do. At a time when many of their fans struggle just to get bills paid every month, they have the gall to bitch and moan about money issues? Every one of these athletes makes more in one year than most people can even dream of making in an entire lifetime. For them to turn around and either bitch, or at least be wishy-washy about their commitment to the team, while the people who pay their salaries hope to scrape together enough money to watch a game in person, is totally unacceptable.

These guys should be extremely grateful for the talent they were born with, and that they're paid handsomely for their efforts. Instead, they'd rather be oblivious to the real world just because someone else in the league is making a few more bucks than them. Please!

I would've loved to have been able to realistically consider retiring at 33 years old!
    So, spare me the "woe-is-me" bullshit, Ed. You've been paid very well for your contributions. Suck it up and play out your contract to the best of your abilities at 100% effort. When you receive less than 100% of your paycheck, then maybe you'll have a legitimate reason to not be 100% committed to the team.

I have an honest question for people on here....

When a player becomes available and is a little bit of a mouth from another team a lot of people on this board say they would pass and not bring him in this locker room.

If Ed Reed was on another team for 10-11 years and pulled this all the time and he was going to become a FA how many people would say...Pass we don't need him in our locker room? How many would say our locker room could fox him?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I believe that the Ravens made Ed Reed the highest paid safety in the league when he signed his contract. Subsequently, other safeties got bigger paydays as is always the case. After this season, Reed can test FA and see how much someone is willing to pay him, which is when everyone will find out how much he is worth at this point in his career. I am sure the Ravens will top any reasonable offer. I think Reed is in for a big disappointment when he doesn't get the kind of offers that he thinks he will get.
    Big disappointment is an understatement. If Reed isn't back with the Ravens, I expect him to retire. The sad thing for Reed is that things out of his control have killed his market value but his own words have killed it even more. The neck problem that he has was damage enough to his value. He probably can't even pass a real through physical with half the teams in the league. And the constant talk about retiring is really hurting him.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    I have an honest question for people on here....

When a player becomes available and is a little bit of a mouth from another team a lot of people on this board say they would pass and not bring him in this locker room.

If Ed Reed was on another team for 10-11 years and pulled this all the time and he was going to become a FA how many people would say...Pass we don't need him in our locker room? How many would say our locker room could fox him?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    He'll be 34 years old this season and he has a very dangerous neck injury that could end his career with bad hit. If Reed was on another team, I would not want the Ravens to bring him in, especially not for the money he's looking to get paid. He just wouldn't be worth it. His short term contributions would not be worth the long term impact. Not to mention, with his injury and threat to retire, any contract for him is risky. You might end up paying for a player that is not playing.

We want him here now because it's always nice to see your favorite athletes stay with the same team their entire career because it is so rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    He'll be 34 years old this season and he has a very dangerous neck injury that could end his career with bad hit.
    Every Player in the NFL is one hit away...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    Every Player in the NFL is one hit away...
    Are you trying to downplay Reed's injury? We all know that he doesn't tackle like he used to because he's afraid of it. And that a player with the injury that he has is far more vulnerable than a guy who isn't injured.