Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    iggyman555 Guest

Re: Jonathan Ogden will be eligible for the HOF next year. Will he get in?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Agreed, and I read (on more than one occasion) that JO was a cheapskate. That's really a good thing if you're a pro athlete because your career is so short. I'm sure JO is financially sound, and I am glad he is... Bc

no wonder he did those terrible gebco commercials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGWmk2dkXrw

Quote Originally Posted by KidSampson View Post
    The first drafted by the Ravens. Woodson and Sharpe are already in.
    Don't forget Prime Time.

It's a pretty crowded field, but yes, he should get in.

But don't be surprised if he gets spurned. The voters have left out some pretty damn good linemen in the past. Ogden being the best to ever play his position certainly helps his chances though.

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    Don't forget Prime Time.
    I knew there was a third. Thanks!

If Willie Roaf 11 Pro Bowl 3 All Pro got in his second year of eligibility, Ogden should easily be a first ballot.

The other OL's that got in first ballot....

Jackie Slater 2001 - 7 Pro Bowl, 0 All Pro

Bruce Matthews 2007 - 14 Pro Bowl, 7 All Pro

Anthony Munoz 1998 - 11 Pro Bowl, 9 All Pro

Jim Langer 1972 - 6 Pro Bowl, 4 All Pro

Forrest Gregg 1977 - 9 Pro Bowl, 7 All Pro

And...

Ogden - 11 Pro Bowl, 4 All Pro

Tony Boselli robbed Ogden of 2 early in his career which kept his first team All Pro nods at 4. As if Boselli, while a great player, was better than Ogden in his prime.

There's no doubt JO gets in on the first ballot. He's a great player and probably the best from next year's class.

Really a no-brainer, which means there's a chance someone screws it up.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

7. Re: Jonathan Ogden will be eligible for the HOF next year. Will he get in?

If he doesn't' get in first ballot i wont be extremely surprised, but 2nd ballot for sure. That has to be a lock.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

He's a lock to get in next year. Widely considered to be one of, if not the best LT ever.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    He's a lock to get in next year. Widely considered to be one of, if not the best LT ever.
    One of the best absolutely. The best is still Anthony Munoz

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    One of the best absolutely. The best is still Anthony Munoz
    True...Munoz is the greatest.

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

PFT did a piece on how crowded the 2013 ballot should be. Looking at the names though I still see no reason for JO not to get in right away. I also agree with them that Allen and Strahan will be going as well

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...owded-in-2013/

Things don’t figure to get much easier for Bill Parcells, Cris Carter, Charles Haley, Andre Reed and the other finalists who couldn’t garner enough support to join those elected to the Hall. The ballot will add several big names next year, making it certain that some of those men will miss out on enshrinement once again.

The biggest names on the list are Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden and Michael Strahan. Allen made seven All-Pro teams during his career with the Cowboys and was a member of the All-Decade team for both the 1990s and 2000s. Ogden joined him on the latter team and made nine All-Pro teams as one of the best left tackles the game has ever seen. Strahan was also on the All-Decade team for the 2000s, holds the single-season sack record and was the 2001 NFL Defensive Player of the Year. All three men have Super Bowl rings on top of those individual accolades and seem like good bets to wind up with yellow blazers in the future.

Once you throw in Warren Sapp, John Lynch, Steve McNair and Morten Andersen and any Seniors Committee candidates, you’ve got a ballot overstuffed with players who achieved great things during their NFL careers. The lack of transparency in Hall of Fame voting makes it hard to know how close some of the near misses came to getting elected or if they were even near misses in the first place. That makes it that much more difficult to predict who might be joining Curtis Martin, Chris Doleman, Willie Roaf, Dermontti Dawson, Cortez Kennedy and Jack Butler the Hall of Fame in New Orleans this time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    PFT did a piece on how crowded the 2013 ballot should be. Looking at the names though I still see no reason for JO not to get in right away. I also agree with them that Allen and Strahan will be going as well

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...owded-in-2013/

Things don’t figure to get much easier for Bill Parcells, Cris Carter, Charles Haley, Andre Reed and the other finalists who couldn’t garner enough support to join those elected to the Hall. The ballot will add several big names next year, making it certain that some of those men will miss out on enshrinement once again.

The biggest names on the list are Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden and Michael Strahan. Allen made seven All-Pro teams during his career with the Cowboys and was a member of the All-Decade team for both the 1990s and 2000s. Ogden joined him on the latter team and made nine All-Pro teams as one of the best left tackles the game has ever seen. Strahan was also on the All-Decade team for the 2000s, holds the single-season sack record and was the 2001 NFL Defensive Player of the Year. All three men have Super Bowl rings on top of those individual accolades and seem like good bets to wind up with yellow blazers in the future.

Once you throw in Warren Sapp, John Lynch, Steve McNair and Morten Andersen and any Seniors Committee candidates, you’ve got a ballot overstuffed with players who achieved great things during their NFL careers. The lack of transparency in Hall of Fame voting makes it hard to know how close some of the near misses came to getting elected or if they were even near misses in the first place. That makes it that much more difficult to predict who might be joining Curtis Martin, Chris Doleman, Willie Roaf, Dermontti Dawson, Cortez Kennedy and Jack Butler the Hall of Fame in New Orleans this time next year.
    The voters are kind of getting back logged. Some many great players coming up in the next few years. But I like it that way. It's the Hall of Fame not the Hall of Very Good. You've got to stand head and shoulders above the crowd to get in.