Blog Entries

Upshaw to drop weight

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...p-some-weight/

As predicted by many of us...I figured he'd be asked to drop into the low 260's. I think that will definitely help his game a lot.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Upshaw to drop weight

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    As predicted by many of us...I figured he'd be asked to drop into the low 260's. I think that will definitely help his game a lot.
    I think (@ about 6' 2") he can still carry 265 lbs without a problem. Upshaw won't be 23 until December, and youth allows pros to carry more weight than the average man. Perhaps a little loss will help his speed a bit, but his body is used to a certain girth to power him and punish opposing offensive players. Look at LaMarr Woodley for instance - 6' 2" 265 lbs and will be 28 in November.
    That is the player I compare Upshaw to. Am I wrong ? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Great news. I want to hear about Gradkowski putting on around 15 lbs now.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

yeah I read that the other day, and seeing the pictures of him he needs to drop a good 10-12 pounds. He is a big thick dude you don't have to worry about him losing strength, more so getting that body fat down. He looks like he is strong as a bull with his build.

I imagine for a guy like him he will stay right at the weight he comes into the season with, unlike other guys who have trouble maintaining weight throughout the playing part of the year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    yeah I read that the other day, and seeing the pictures of him he needs to drop a good 10-12 pounds. He is a big thick dude you don't have to worry about him losing strength, more so getting that body fat down. He looks like he is strong as a bull with his build.

I imagine for a guy like him he will stay right at the weight he comes into the season with, unlike other guys who have trouble maintaining weight throughout the playing part of the year.
    Yeah Upshaw is built like a house, it will be good to see him more lean, and it's going to be physically hard for smaller tackles having to deal with him.

Good news, he has natural strength, at 260 or so he'll still be strong as a bull but he should gain a bit more explosion

Blog Entries

ill be interested to see if it helps his agility a little. even if only moderately it should help him out in all facets. We all pretty much assumed hed be playing at 260-265 which makes him ballooning up to 280+ all that more perplexing. He just made it harder on himself in the long run.
    -JAB

Terrell Suggs and Jarrett Johnson both played at 260 according to the article, and with similar height as Upshaw. That seems a reasonable target weight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I think (@ about 6' 2") he can still carry 265 lbs without a problem. Upshaw won't be 23 until December, and youth allows pros to carry more weight than the average man. Perhaps a little loss will help his speed a bit, but his body is used to a certain girth to power him and punish opposing offensive players. Look at LaMarr Woodley for instance - 6' 2" 265 lbs and will be 28 in November.
    That is the player I compare Upshaw to. Am I wrong ? ... Bc
    I think you're dead on. Physically Upshaw and Woodley have very similar body types