Blog Entries

Is Musa Smith becoming our 2nd string RB?

I liked the addition of MA in the offseason, and I really expected to see him challenge Jamal for playing time, but it seems that the stats and touches have been going increasingly to Musa Smith.

Over the season, MA has 8 carries for 59 yards, with a 34 yard TD run, and 1 catch for 7 yards.

Musa Smith has 12 carries for 38 yards, with 5 catches for 49 yards.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Musa's potential and I'm happy he's getting more touches. But this last game, MA had no stats! In fact, 7 of his 8 carries came against TB in Week 1.

I think right now, we're focusing on Jamal as the lead back, and a combination of Musa and MA. I'd like to see, not so much a RB by committee, but maybe giving Musa and MA chances to unseat Jamal as the feature back.

EDIT - Ok, disregard the topic title...Musa is listed as our 2nd string back. Doesn't change my point in the topic.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Is Musa Smith becoming our 2nd string RB?

BB is claiming that Mike is being held out and that will be a factor later in the season with fresh legs. If the phases of the moon are just right, it may even be true, at least partly.

None of the three are exactly tearing it up, but a large part of that is due to the five stiffs trying to open up holes for them.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    BB is claiming that Mike is being held out and that will be a factor later in the season with fresh legs.
    That's the first time I've heard that, but I hope it's true. It would be crazy to sign a guy like Mike Anderson and not use him. I hope there is a plan here.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    That's the first time I've heard that, but I hope it's true. It would be crazy to sign a guy like Mike Anderson and not use him. I hope there is a plan here.

Quoting Aaron Wilson quoting Brian Billick: (on the official site)

"
    "We didn't get Mike in the other day, which we would have liked to have done," Billick said. "We didn't have the number of run snaps that you typically would like to have at the end of the day because of what we had to do in the second half.
    "That, long-term, is going to suit us very well in terms of the wear and tear on your backs and how fresh we can have a combination of backs going into any given game."
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

I think Musa Smith is our official third-down back, which means we're going to see more of him than Mike Anderson, who usually spells Jamal on first or second down. I don't mind. Hell, I'd trade any two of them for a real offensive line and let the third one play all day.