Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Gay Thread cont.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Not that I've run across.

Again, you have to take into account where I live. Down here democrats neatly fit into a fringe society that the rest of us treat like lepers. You've seen "The Blind Side". Where the guy says, "Who'd have thought we'd have a black son before we knew a democrat?" is a pretty good summation. I work in academia so I do actually know more than one or two, but none of 'em go to church. I don't know if Nicki knows any democrats.
    I was more or less joking. Almost every dem running for some sort of political office talks about God and religion as much as Republicans do.

Votes, votes, votes!
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    It's not an "educated guess". It's supposition based on a tiny data sample.

I'd say that 60% of the people I know who don't go to my church, go to a church. Of course we have to factor in where I live and the fact I never hang out with democrats, so the folks I know tend to be the group that attends church anyway.

Yeah older people tend to go to church more. It's a routine you fall into that you just don't think about when you're younger. Once you get a job and stop partying on Friday and Saturday nights it's much easier to get up on Sundays. I didn't start going regularly until I was 30, though my wife has always gone.
    Well, you jsut made it painfully obvious that my "tiny sample size" is FAR more diverse then yours. So we can make the assumption that your POV is even less useful then mine. Again, I know non-practicing Jews, Muslims, Christians, whites, blacks, asians, arabs, men, women, children.... And I know a practicing Orthodox Jew. I have also since rememberd that I know a practicing christian who is firmly attached to addictions counseling which is HEAVILY forcing religion. But again, those under 40 that I come into contact with, which is a fairly diverse group, strretching accross a fairly wide geographic and cutural swath, is not remotely close to as active in their born-in religion as their very own parents. I'm not talking about a slight difference but a MAJOR statistically significant difference.

Perhaps Galen, our resident world traveller and Psychiatrist would liekto weigh in on what he has seen. I would imagine that many of the arab and asian countries he has visitied are VERY different from my observations. I would also even say that HoustonRavens observations in Texas are very different as well.

- Homosexual behavior is found in at least 1,500 species of mammal, fish, reptile, bird, and even invertebrate.

- When a male goose courts another male goose, a female sometimes slips in and mates with both males. Later, the male partners share paternal duties.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Since I get around 100 new students a year, it could be argued that I have a much larger and more diversified sample than you, but I kept it to only people I know and hang out with since I don't want to talk about personal religious views in a classroom. I will say there are quite a few younger people who are very religious but I wouldn't dare try put a number on it.

The difference is that I didn't make a supposition based on my sample. I simply stated that I know quite a few people under 40 who do go to church regularly.
    Last edited by darb72; 05-22-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Are these students you speak of making their own decision to attend or are they of the age to still be draged to church by thir parents.
    I'm specifically talking about adults living on their own under the age of 40. This, to me, is the segment of the population that is losing interest in religion.

Oh, and for a simple statement. Out of MANY hundred people(potentially in the low thousands) that I know, aged 20-40, living on their own, making decisions for themselves, I know perhaps a FEW that regularly attend religious services. So I will confess that i supposed that my subset of the population can't possibly be 90+% different from the "norm". I thought it was safe that some extrapolation of my data could be inferred.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Perhaps Galen, our resident world traveller and Psychiatrist would liekto weigh in on what he has seen. I would imagine that many of the arab and asian countries he has visitied are VERY different from my observations. I would also even say that HoustonRavens observations in Texas are very different as well.
    Most of my abroad experience has been in developing countries. There is definitely a correlation between poverty and religiousity. Latin American countries and African countries I have been to show a lot of religious adherence. As well as does Turkey, where Islam and Christianity co-mingle well. I have told the story about hiking through the Turkish countryside during a heat wave coming up from the Sahara. I was dehydrated and worn down and was given a couple nights in a country mosque to get some strength back. I can't imagine a couple muslims hiking out of a desert somehwere and being taken in my a baptist church lol.

Anyway, religion is like cigarettes. You have to hook them when they are young and think it is the thing to do.

So you know thousands of people and you've asked each and everyone of them if they attend church regularly? You have a lot of free time on your hand.

My students are all in college, so while there are a few that still live with mom and dad most are housed in and around the university.

And finally, given my new 100 students a year over 10 years and your thousand folks known, I guess we tied on the sample size. We'll have to figure out another contest.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

I'd like to comment on the non-traditional non-denominational point someone made a while back. They might not be as liberal toward gay marriage as the poster thinks.

Willow Creek is the first mega non-traditional church with about 20,000 or so members outside of Chicago. Starbucks founder Howard Schultz just cancelled his speaking engagement there that had a binding contract with them after the gay community got on their case. Seems like a gay complained to the gay association that he was kicked out of Willow Creek and wasn't allowed to say anything.

Bill Hybel who was Clinton's and Bush's spiritual advisor argued vs that saying no one has ever been turned away. They're not anti-anthing but support the biblical position on the subject. A smaller version here in Baltimore, Grace Fellowship Church that I was a member of for 5 years does everything that Willow Creek does. In fact, their founding pastor left to go on Hybel's staff as director of conferences years ago. Hybel says he isn't anti-anything. BTW, former Colts Sack Pack leader Joe Ehrmann is on Grace's pastorial staff and recommended his replacement whom he roomed with at Dallas Theological Seminary after his playing days.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-homosexuality

Then Ron Mclaren who dubbed the name Emerging or Emergent Church which represents all post modernists was approached by a gay couple after a service with the ultimate question. He knew it was coming but was confused by the second question. He said the first question always has a second question and that is the one that ends up in all the papers and TV and radio stations so he just didn't answer their question at all. BTW, these dudes are re-writing much of scripture but it seems their leaving same
    sex marriage as is.

http://www.outofur.com/archives/2006...mclaren_o.html

Rick Warren is the other big post modernist who had the first debate with
    OBY and Hillary and is a spiritual adviser to him. He also has a mega church of 20,000 or so and wrote the famous Purpose Driven Life and Purpose Drive Church books that netted him around $1B.

He was very critical of same sex marriage. There will be liberal churches that will marry them of course but don't count on these other non-traditional
    churches to have gay marriage because it's vs scripture. They won't bash them but they won't marry them either and Warren has given millions to
    aids victims from his Purpose Driven Life book.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/0...ren-gay-bible/

BTW, Willow Creek did the Christian thing and let Starbacks out of their iron clad contract. They had a Starbacks shop in the church. They even had a party with Starback coffee they went and bought after they broke the contract. That is what makes it non-traditional in a way. These churches serve coffee and begels after church. Some serve it during the service.

They have drama during their main service and people sit back and drink
    coffee and eat begels. They like being entertained. Many of them even offer free yoga lessons and Willow Creek has a meditation room.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-23-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Here's a list of denominations and churches and their positions on
    gay marriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homosexuality

• Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

I wonder why democrats are so insistent on everybody being tolerant of everyone else except Christians.

The picture Pyite put up would be considered racist and insulting if it had said gays or ethnic group instead of Christians. If you're going to ban Trap for whatever he said about gays, then it is only right that you ban Pyite for what he posted.
    ProFootballMock

What's pretty amazing is that thanks to the link Air provided we just about proved that Christians are, as a whole, more tolerant towards people's differences than Pyite and Galin.
    ProFootballMock