Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Streeter working out with and learning from Ray

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Joe should invite Dickson, Doss, Torrey, Boldin, Pitta, Streeter, LQ, and Cam to live with him. They can help with Joe's new baby.
    sounds like a great group of nannies. just dont let ed dickson hold the baby...
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Streeter could be a WR version of Jimmy Graham. Graham was a a great athlete coming out of college, but was very raw, which is why he dropped in the draft. If Streeter can even come close to realizing his potential, he could become a beast.
    Last edited by Dirt1; 05-15-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Blog Entries

(a) Streeter has all the "measurables" [6' 5" 220 lbs 4.4 speed] (b) Working with Ray, he will get knowledge of the pro game and build up his body (c) all he needs is on-field experience. TWO outta THREE ain't bad for a rookie... Bc

I think we need to temper the enthusiasm a little bit on Streeter. I get all the steal, great value, how did this guy go in the the 6th round stuff but he was drafted there for a reason.

Here is one of them...

http://ravens24x7.com/columns/Camp-N...okie-mini-camp
    At one point, Streeter ran a bad route and it was jumped by rookie free-agent cornerback Charles Brown from North Carolina. Shortly after Brown’s interception, Streeter left the field and headed to the locker room.

Streeter later told the media he had been dealing with a stomach virus since Saturday night and wasn’t feeling well.
    I just completed some research and from 1995-2009 68% of receivers drafted in the 6th round never caught more than 10 passes in their entire NFL career, and the bust rate was 86% overall. The guys that did make it never amounted to anything more than a number 3 receiver except for one guy (Pierre Garcon, out of 75 total).

If Streeter can make the team and stick around it will be an accomplishment, everything else will be a bonus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    I think we need to temper the enthusiasm a little bit on Streeter. I get all the steal, great value, how did this guy go in the the 6th round stuff but he was drafted there for a reason.

Here is one of them...

I just completed some research and from 1995-2009 68% of receivers drafted in the 6th round never caught more than 10 passes in their entire NFL career, and the bust rate was 86% overall. The guys that did make it never amounted to anything more than a number 3 receiver except for one guy (Pierre Garcon, out of 75 total).

If Streeter can make the team and stick around it will be an accomplishment, everything else will be a bonus.
    Wasn't Antonio Brown a 6th round pick? Streeter has to work on his route running. That is part of him being raw. But what he has (6'5", 220 lbs, 4.4 speed) can't be taught. I actually wish he were also working out with Mason. Mason never had the great size/speed, but he made up for it by being a great route runner. I think Streeter is going to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Wasn't Antonio Brown a 6th round pick? Streeter has to work on his route running. That is part of him being raw. But what he has (6'5", 220 lbs, 4.4 speed) can't be taught. I actually wish he were also working out with Mason. Mason never had the great size/speed, but he made up for it by being a great route runner. I think Streeter is going to make it.
    Antonio Brown was drafted in 2010 (I only went to 2009, tough to judge a guy after 2 years especially late rounders), but yes he was a 6th rounder. That would be 2 guys in a 16 year span. Two. Out of close to 100.

Blog Entries

Here is one of them...

I agree. You really have to look at productivity from the bottom of the draft as a bonus. It just happen that often.

Blog Entries

Here is one of them...

not knocking your findings as they certainly make sense, but how many of those guys had those measurables? Guys that do dont fall that far typically, which is the really odd thing about getting him that late. Doesnt mean hes going to be a star, but he certainly has the tools to do so like a 2nd round pick (which he was projected as possibly being) would rather than an ordinary 6th rounder. Theres reason to think hes closer to that 14% success rate than 86% bust rate if only because of that. whether that dilutes your expectations or not, is to each their own.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Agreed. He needs to be coaching in Baltimore.
    HARBs will get his ass killed if he doesn't offer Ray a job when he retires. It's up to
    Ray but I've never heard him say one way or another what his future plans are. He's
    just a natural coach and is doing it now and has been.

BTW, I originally posted on the draft thread that Streeter was just a project and wouldnt
    even play this year since he only played 1 year in college. Like you said Solo, he
    would have been a #2 pick had he gone back to Miami.

After reading this thread and article, me thinks Streeter will make the team and
    perhaps play some with Ray coaching him up.

Here is one of them...

Wouldn't you also want to include 7th round picks, just for the sake of completeness, since a 7th round pick should theoretically have even less likelihood of working out than a 6th? Marques Colston was a 7th round pick. So it isn't unprecedented for a late-round pick to turn into gold. It's OBVIOUSLY not common, because that's the nature of players dropping low in the draft. But I think it's fair for a lot of Ravens fans to be excited about the idea that Streeter could be a Colston or Garcon or many of us would even be happy with an Antonio Brown like payoff out of him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    HARBs will get his ass killed if he doesn't offer Ray a job when he retires. It's up to
    Ray but I've never heard him say one way or another what his future plans are. He's
    just a natural coach and is doing it now and has been.

BTW, I originally posted on the draft thread that Streeter was just a project and wouldnt
    even play this year since he only played 1 year in college. Like you said Solo, he
    would have been a #2 pick had he gone back to Miami.

After reading this thread and article, me thinks Streeter will make the team and
    perhaps play some with Ray coaching him up.
    If I was the NFL I would offer Ray a very nice job once he retires. Ray and Peyton Manning are probably the most connected active players in the league. Players from all teams speak with them all the time. Ray would be the perfect liaison between the NFL and the players. Goodell should make it mandatory that any player who violates the conduct policy has to meet and consult with Ray. That would cure a lot of potential repeat offenders.

Here is one of them...

Doing a little more specific research (I plan to run more cases than just this, which I will post in the near future), I looked at 1998-2011, wide receivers, drafted in the 6th or 7th round, played college football in ACC (the conference that Streeter played in).

The results are much more favorable for this specific search. In fact, there is literally only ONE player who qualifies for this search drafted in the 6th round:

Josh Morgan (Virginia Tech), San Francisco 49ers, 2008-2011, 49 games (32 starts), 131 catches, 1764 yards, 9 TDs

He had a decent rookie season, a great second and third season, and was off to a great start last year before being put on injured reserve for the rest of the season after 5 games.

6 other players qualified for my search, from the 7th round. Of them, half contributed at least 1000 receiving yards during their pro careers.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...e=acc&show=all

So the results aren't nearly as dismal for ACC receivers drafted late.