Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Will Ravens Offense Become More Pass Happy In Flacco's Contract year?

Just wondering about this. Flacco is the best Raven QB in history. On his way to becoming our Franchise QB. For years we built our team around the defense and now we have a proven QB that can actually air it out. I know the Ravens formula is play and have a good defense and pound the ball on offense to control the clock. This is why the ravens signed Vonta Leach last year. We built our team around our defense.

The emergence of Flacco gives hope that we can now build our team around a QB (1st time in Ravens History). This is the year where Flacco and the Ravens have to come to an agreement on his contract. I guess you can say this year is make or break for Flacco. A year where he is playing for his future.

This year might be the most explosive offense i can remember the Ravens ever having. I know Cam will have influence on the playcalling but overall I think the Ravens have to air it out this year. Flacco is an higher priority than Rice. I think i would want to see more of what Flacco can do this year than Ray Rice. Even though Ray Rice is a big part of our offense, Flacco will be the one to carry this Raven team in future years to come. In Flacco's contract year I expect the Ravens to throw more and put more responsibilty on Flacco. Not to mention ozzie putting together a hand full of weapons and speed on this offense unlike recent years.

Im not saying the Ravens will not still run the ball but this year has to focus on Flacco not Leach and Rice. To be honest I think Flacco wants to air it out more to prove to people he can do it. To prove he is worth the money he will be asking for with his new deal. This is the year the leash is coming off for good on Flacco.

Re: Will Ravens Offense Become More Pass Happy In Flacco's Contract year?

I think they'll have a deal before TC starts.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    From what I understand, the problem with getting a deal done with Flacco this year is the cap hit. He's playing under his cap friendly rookie contract right now. They'd have to manage it as an extension somehow and I don't know how they would handle the bonus.

And they really don't have to do a deal this year, since he is under contract. Maybe they let him play it out this year, and do a deal next year.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

I am not sold at all that the offense will be any more explosive than it was in 2011 and 2010. We are investing a lot of money into Vonta Leach, and just franchised Ray Rice, as well as Yanda being a part of the offense who is a guard. We also traded up to get Bernard Pierce in the 3rd round, and drafted a big mauling guard in the second round, we also used our traded pick on a future center. Infact the only "weapon" we drafted was Tommy Streeter in the 6th round, all other picks where either defense or linemen. We also could have made more moves to get the lesser known WR's that we could have afforded, but we didn't.

At the end of the day, we have a solid set of WR's, but they aren't good enough to run an offense like you are saying here, Flacco is also great, but I'm not so sure if he can manage an offensive game plan the way Rogers runs his in Green Bay. What I DO think is that, if you surround Flacco with weapons that Eli Manning has had, then it wouldn't surprise me if Flacco was as good as if not better than Eli.

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    And they really don't have to do a deal this year, since he is under contract. Maybe they let him play it out this year, and do a deal next year.
    Technically they don't, but they said they were going to, and they've already begun negotiating some time ago. They definitely don't want it lingering into the season, and they definitely don't want him getting into the final year without an extension. Signing Flacco now could be prohibitively cheaper than if he has a monster year next year, or, if they had to franchise him.

Technically they don't, but they said they were going to, and they've already begun negotiating some time ago. They definitely don't want it lingering into the season, and they definitely don't want him getting into the final year without an extension. Signing Flacco now could be prohibitively cheaper than if he has a monster year next year, or, if they had to franchise him.
    Yes, that is true. I was more responding to the OP. And for the reasons leach posted above, I don't think the Ravens will be that much more explosive either. I just hope they are more efficient in moving the chains and scoring points.
    Last edited by flraven; 05-14-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: added text
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Simple answer, Nope. For reasons already stated. Franchised RB, AllPro FB, drafting mauling guys on the line a year older Boldin and a bunch of rookies and second year guys behind them, OH and Cam calling the plays. Nope it'll be the same old song and dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSampson View Post
    From what I understand, the problem with getting a deal done with Flacco this year is the cap hit. He's playing under his cap friendly rookie contract right now. They'd have to manage it as an extension somehow and I don't know how they would handle the bonus.
    That's pretty simple to fix with a split bonus. As long as its guaranteed it shouldn't be an issue for Flacco. It has to be more than that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's pretty simple to fix with a split bonus. As long as its guaranteed it shouldn't be an issue for Flacco. It has to be more than that.
    I agree. There are a lot of ways to manipulate his cap number. I don't think they have settled on numbers for total compensation yet.

Blog Entries

One of the main reasons why I love the Ravens so much is because of their defense and rugged style of play on offense. We don't need a top 5 offense or even a top 10 offense to win a SB, we just need to play Ravens football. The play book needs to certainly open out a bit, but in the AFCN you have to be able to run the ball well.

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    Just wondering about this. Flacco is the best Raven QB in history. On his way to becoming our Franchise QB. For years we built our team around the defense and now we have a proven QB that can actually air it out. I know the Ravens formula is play and have a good defense and pound the ball on offense to control the clock. This is why the ravens signed Vonta Leach last year. We built our team around our defense.

The emergence of Flacco gives hope that we can now build our team around a QB (1st time in Ravens History). This is the year where Flacco and the Ravens have to come to an agreement on his contract. I guess you can say this year is make or break for Flacco. A year where he is playing for his future.

This year might be the most explosive offense i can remember the Ravens ever having. I know Cam will have influence on the playcalling but overall I think the Ravens have to air it out this year. Flacco is an higher priority than Rice. I think i would want to see more of what Flacco can do this year than Ray Rice. Even though Ray Rice is a big part of our offense, Flacco will be the one to carry this Raven team in future years to come. In Flacco's contract year I expect the Ravens to throw more and put more responsibilty on Flacco. Not to mention ozzie putting together a hand full of weapons and speed on this offense unlike recent years.

Im not saying the Ravens will not still run the ball but this year has to focus on Flacco not Leach and Rice. To be honest I think Flacco wants to air it out more to prove to people he can do it. To prove he is worth the money he will be asking for with his new deal. This is the year the leash is coming off for good on Flacco.
    Do you really think the Raven's braintrust care what Flacco wants to do? Cam is much more important to them than flacco will ever be, so he has no input.