Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Rookie PK Tucker is Impressing

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    6-8 yards deep is going to be returned now, but Cundiff should be able to go farther than that. Being five yards closer, he should be kicking a good many right out of the back of the end zone, and that just didn't happen in 2011. He averaged 71.1 yds on kickoffs in 2010, and 67.8 yards in 2011, but those guys are running that stuff out now because the gunners don't get the same start they once did.

That being said, he was still #1 in the league in kickoff distance (6th in touchback % and 7th in total # of touchbacks), but the Ravens had the 2nd worst numbers for kick return yardage. Maybe the rest of the team just needs to learn to cover better.
    Well, a lot of that had to do specifically with the kick coverage inadequacies. ST's coverage was pretty abysmal last season.

Hopefully guys like Corey Graham, Shaun Considine, and Chavis Williams can step up there and improve those units.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, a lot of that had to do specifically with the kick coverage inadequacies. ST's coverage was pretty abysmal last season.

Hopefully guys like Corey Graham, Shaun Considine, and Chavis Williams can step up there and improve those units.
    Harbaugh seems to have an issue getting rid of these coaches with underperforming units. Kick coverage has sucked for years now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Harbaugh seems to have an issue getting rid of these coaches with underperforming units. Kick coverage has sucked for years now.
    I agree.

According to this article when he was hired in 08:
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/...ordinator.aspx

He has had some success as a ST's coach. For whatever reason, it hasn't happened here.

I dont know what the deal is, but what I'd like to see is Ozzie and Bisciotti step in if this season doesn't get exponentially better and basically tell Harbaugh that he needs to make some changes in his coaching staff.

Blog Entries

He has had some success as a ST's coach. For whatever reason, it hasn't happened here.
    Gotta be overrated in our minds.
    Things like that are nice on a resume but I'm sure we can come up with exception after exception...
    First one that comes quickly to mind is offesnive genius Billick, wins a championship on D.
    Tony Dungey, defensive guru, loses a SB with weak D, but has an O that is lights out.

Never really hear the irony with lateral moves.

Offensive Genius Jim Fassel did take a team to the SB as a HC. They scored 7 points and 152 yds of offense (Course Ray Lewis and company had some say in that).

There are bona-fide genus/guru labels (Bill Walsh) but a lot are a result of circumstances and opportunity.

That said, Harbs is a great HC, and WAS a succesful ST coach.
    Having a HC continue to perform according to his "genius title" looks like worse odds than a 1st round QB's success, which doesn't stop them from being drafted or the Coach from being hired.

(Boy won't it be great when we get on the field issues to talk about? LOL )
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Are you really going to trust billy?
    I know Billy disappointed us last year but he makes that kick more often than not. I put that miss more on Harbaugh trying to save a time out that he's going to lose anyway, than on Billy.

Rookie vs. Cundiff? truthfully, I'd rather have Stover but he's not an option.

Being rushed was definitely more on the coaching staff than Cundiff, but again he could have called a time out if he wasn't prepared.
    I'll reiterate the point that he may not have known if a timeout was available. In that case, calling a time out that doesn't exist would result in a penalty (and maybe even a ten second runoff? - I'm not sure on the rule). That would have been a Chris Webber NCAA Finals all over again, and Cundiff would have been roasted.

Calling a time out was all on the coaches. Blame Cundiff for running out late, missing a chip shot, etc - but don't blame him for not calling a timeout.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I'll reiterate the point that he may not have known if a timeout was available. In that case, calling a time out that doesn't exist would result in a penalty (and maybe even a ten second runoff? - I'm not sure on the rule). That would have been a Chris Webber NCAA Finals all over again, and Cundiff would have been roasted.

Calling a time out was all on the coaches. Blame Cundiff for running out late, missing a chip shot, etc - but don't blame him for not calling a timeout.
    thats my thoughts. he missed a chip shot under poor circumstances. even running out late was an issue that wasnt entirely his fault, if i remember correctly, there was some confusion on the down or whether or not the play was going to be reviewd or something like that. Im also not saying there might not be better options than Cundiff (although i dont think anybody is getting rid of the ones that are), but i still think hes unjustly criticized for things that werent entirely his fault.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Although I'd love him to do well and even become our starting kicker in 2012 (would probably save some cap space by cutting Cundiff), I'm not sure that I'm confident that a rookie PK can start for a team like us. Imagine a divisional round play off game now, a kick to win the game are you really going to trust this guy?
    He wouldn't do any worse than Billy in the last 11 seconds in NE and
    if he can kick 60 yarders he just might do better. Who knows?

Blog Entries

Well, hitting 60 yarders in practice vs game time situations is vastly different. :)

Blog Entries

Wasn't the Saints kicker, Hartley?, a rookie the year they won the Superbowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Wasn't the Saints kicker, Hartley?, a rookie the year they won the Superbowl?
    2nd year guy. He only played in 5 games that year; 8 the year before.

Well, hitting 60 yarders in practice vs game time situations is vastly different. :)
    Agreed.

And, besides, until the Ravens actually sign Tucker (or any other PK, for that matter), it's all kind of a moot point.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap