Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: Rookie PK Tucker is Impressing

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

If he earns the shot, I'm all for it. Due to salary differences, tome, that means that Cundiff has to outplay him. I believe that the coaching staff would see that last statement from the otherside.
    I like the fact that he could punt in a pinch too, at least better then most kickers and QB's...
    As an ex-soccer player, I'm really not sure why there aren't more double duty kickers. I guess the chance of injury would be one of the reasons to want seperate kickers, though it seems that Qb's end up being the backup punter(Boller, Slash)s and WR's the backup kickers(Ocho, Welker). It's strange to me for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRaven View Post
    this.

i really don't see how you can put a big kick on him again and feel comfortable. he looks to me like someone who would have a hard time getting over that miss.
    This is what bothers me. Billy did not just missed. He missed by a mile. That is hard to forget for the fans and Billy. The problems were showing before that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    This is what bothers me. Billy did not just missed. He missed by a mile. That is hard to forget for the fans and Billy. The problems were showing before that game.

I too am worried about "Vanderjagdt" syndrome. I'm afraid he will never have the confidence to be a solid, reliable kicker ever again. Time to move on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I'll reiterate the point that he may not have known if a timeout was available. In that case, calling a time out that doesn't exist would result in a penalty (and maybe even a ten second runoff? - I'm not sure on the rule). That would have been a Chris Webber NCAA Finals all over again, and Cundiff would have been roasted.

Calling a time out was all on the coaches. Blame Cundiff for running out late, missing a chip shot, etc - but don't blame him for not calling a timeout.
    "That never occurred to me." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I too am worried about "Vanderjagdt" syndrome. I'm afraid he will never have the confidence to be a solid, reliable kicker ever again. Time to move on.
    That is exactly what I meant...And I like Cundiff, but this was not just a miss, it was a miss with the SB on the line. It was way wide. I am niot sure a rookie is the way to go, but if Cundiff were to miss a game winner against the Bengals in game 1, it would get ugly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    That is exactly what I meant...And I like Cundiff, but this was not just a miss, it was a miss with the SB on the line. It was way wide. I am niot sure a rookie is the way to go, but if Cundiff were to miss any FG against the Bengals in game 1, it would get ugly.

Fixed that for you.

And I agree.

Blog Entries

Man, as bad as he missed that kick, I'm not sure a timeout could have saved it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Man, as bad as he missed that kick, I'm not sure a timeout could have saved it.
    I'm kind of 50/50 on this.

If it were like a 48 or 50+ yard FG...a time out probably would have made a world of difference and honestly, the TO probably would have made a significant difference anyway, but that still doesn't negate that the FG I think was 32 yards (a chip shot for practically any NFL kicker) and he was in the middle of the field for the most part.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FG's he had missed previously also were "pulls", right?

I think the TO argument would be a lot more plausible if he banked it off the post or something, but he flat out missed the uprights by like 20 feet.

Blog Entries

That timeout could have just as easily given Cundiff more time to get nervous. We don't know Cundiff well enough to figure out what it would have done. We are trying to think logically, calm down the rushed kicker, but it doesn't always work that way.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore