Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Ray Rice moving Forward

I believe the Ravens can get a 1st for rice because his contract wont be as big as a WRs and he is a proved player where a rookie RB is not proven.
    It will be very risky for rice to play this year under the tag and I do not see the Ravens letting him walk next year without a 1st rounder or a low 2nd and 3rd. He would me smart to take a deal simmilar to Foster or maybe a bit higher once July comes along. We are still in May so no need for anyone to budge yet. Once July 1 is here Oz and Pat will be on the phone with Rice and his agent and hopefully rice twice a day to get a deal done.

Can we at least all agree if he plays this year under the tag the Ravens wont let him walk with out getting something in return? They would tag him again and work out a sign and trade like we did with boldin with a team that needs a proven RB

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    Can we at least all agree if he plays this year under the tag the Ravens wont let him walk with out getting something in return? They would tag him again and work out a sign and trade like we did with boldin with a team that needs a proven RB
    I'm sure that ideally the Ravens would like to do that if they can't get a deal done with him but there are two problems with that. #1 - How much will they get for him? I still don't think they'll get a 1st rd pick for him. But the bigger problem is #2....What if they can't get a deal done with Flacco by next off season? Either the Ravens offer below what he's worth or Flacco's agent plays hardball. Then you have to choose between the two who to franchise and I doubt it will be Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    OR he could take the (20 million?) that he's guaranteed under the Ravens offer now and be guaranteed another 3 or 4 million in base salaries this year bringing his total take to 24 million right now.

I get what you are saying. Cash in on 17 million over two years from the franchise and then turn around and sign for another 30 or so million guaranteed when he hits free agency in two years. But two years is a VERY long time to wait. Two years is 2/3rds of the average NFL career and a world of things could happen between now and then.

If Ray was smart he'd take the money now. And have his agent structure the deal to give him one more shot at another huge payday in two or three seasons. Rice could just easily sign for whatever Foster got guaranteed today and then have the deal structured so that the Ravens are forced to cut him in a year or two. Getting the Ravens to agree might be hard but its better than the alternative.

See, but if he plays out this year, his next offer will be LOWER, or at least shorter. The ravens aren't dumb. The older he gets and the more mileage he gets the less he's worth, no matter the stats he puts up.

I always wondered, with the sums of money these guys are playing for, what's a few million either way? Then again with the sheer number of former NFL players bankrupt, I guess they need every penny they can get

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

How many franchise tagged players have you ever seen traded. I can think of 1 in 20 years. That was Matt Cassel who went for a 2nd round pick and it hasn't exactly worked out well for the Chiefs. If they can't get Rice signed and he plays a typical Rice year they'll tag him again in 2013 and then let him hit the market.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    How many franchise tagged players have you ever seen traded. I can think of 1 in 20 years. That was Matt Cassel who went for a 2nd round pick and it hasn't exactly worked out well for the Chiefs. If they can't get Rice signed and he plays a typical Rice year they'll tag him again in 2013 and then let him hit the market.
    So they tag him in 2013 and plays in 2013 again under the tag and then let him hit the market? is that what u mean?

I can agree with that. He would be stupid not to take a deal from the Ravens by the time the end of the 2013 season comes wont he be close to 30?

So they tag him in 2013 and plays in 2013 again under the tag and then let him hit the market? is that what u mean?

I can agree with that. He would be stupid not to take a deal from the Ravens by the time the end of the 2013 season comes wont he be close to 30?

But again that goes out the window if Flacco is not signed by the next offseason. You'll lose one or the other.

Blog Entries

What specific team would even give up a first round pick for Ray Rice, let alone a first and third round pick?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

... He would be stupid not to take a deal from the Ravens by the time the end of the 2013 season comes wont he be close to 30?
    Ray Rice was born January 22, 1987. You do the math... Bc

We all agree that the goal is to have Rice signed by July 16 to clear up cap space and ensure he is with us for a long time.

But should we not agree and he plays the season as the Franchise player, what should the Ravens do moving forward? are they even allowed to try to work out an extension mid season or do they have to wait till the season is over?

I remember hearing that should they not reach a deal they would tag him again and then should they not reach a deal let him go. With Suggs the had to tag him twice but reached a deal so he only played one year under the tag, I do not remember what happened CMac if he played 2 years under the tag or not.

My feeling is why not tag him and then work a sign and trade and get a 1st and 3rd eaither way the Ravens will get a #1 for Rice assuming Rice has a good year and possibly more. That would be a good deal for the Ravens if they believe Pierce or AA can take the load or draft another RB.

What does everyone else think?
    Teams will not be willing to part with a 1st rounder and pay him more money than Arian Foster received in his contract. If he is not signed this off season he will more than likely be franchised with the intent of trading him or the team will let him walk away. If they do trade him after this season I am guessing they would at best get a 2nd rounder or maybe a 3rd and a 5th. If the team could not get it done this year when they desperately needed to free up cap space I can't see them getting it done next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    But again that goes out the window if Flacco is not signed by the next offseason. You'll lose one or the other.
    The franchise tag number on a QB is going to be upwards of 15 million. Probably more once Brees gets under contract. The Ravens have every incentive to get Flacco under contract and they also have more time. They can negotiate with Flacco into the season. I have no doubt in my mind that they get something done before franchising Flacco becomes an option. The franchise number for a QB is just to large.