Cool Pro Football Focus ranks McKinnie as 5th best offensive tackle in the leauge last year

Just some food for thought. I know a lot of people are hard on McKinnie and there's some debate about him:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...nsive-tackles/

Edit: Sorry folks, misread. Said he gave the 5th best PERFORMANCE in a game during the playoff game against Houston. And Oher gave a #1 performance against Arizona.

Our tackles have potential.

Can a mod change the title of my post?

Re: Pro Football Focus ranks McKinnie as 5th best offensive tackle in the leauge last year

Looks like they are ranking single game performances only. A bit of a difference from a full year's ranking, though I think people will still be surprised with McKinnie's high grade for that particular game.

Re: Pro Football Focus ranks McKinnie as 5th best offensive tackle in the leauge last year

I thought he did very well in the first Pitt game.

McKinnie was smack in the middle of the pack for the entire season, ranked like 15th I think out of the left tackles.

Blog Entries

He actually had some really good games, but looked like garbage in others. Hopefully a full offseason of working out and getting back into shape will transform him back into his 2009 form, and the fact that he owes like 4 million.

Blog Entries

McKinnie is a guy who I don't really get the hate for. I thought he played pretty well for most of the season. Had some issues here and there, but nothing major. I don't understand why people here seem to bash him relentlessly in most threads.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    McKinnie is a guy who I don't really get the hate for. I thought he played pretty well for most of the season. Had some issues here and there, but nothing major. I don't understand why people here seem to bash him relentlessly in most threads.
    Because McKinnie was constantly beaten all year by speed rushers, he played pretty bad most of the season if anything. He had some good games here and there, but most of the hate comes from the fact that he has been known for a poor work ethic even though he has enough talent to be a premium left tackle in the league.

Blog Entries

Our whole line played like crap in the houston game, particularly in the run game which was overall ineffective no matter where we ran it. Not sure how they can say that game out of all of them was the 5th best performance of his season let alone of anyones. Again i dont agree with their "findings" and this case im not even sure of their grading criteria. I dont particularly remember him playing horrible but i find it hard to believe he was at his best in that game.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Because McKinnie was constantly beaten all year by speed rushers, he played pretty bad most of the season if anything. He had some good games here and there, but most of the hate comes from the fact that he has been known for a poor work ethic even though he has enough talent to be a premium left tackle in the league.
    I really didn't see that. I thougth he played very well in Pass-pro, and that where he lacked was in the run game, particularly if the play went the other way, or if he was in position to get to the second level.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I really didn't see that. I thougth he played very well in Pass-pro, and that where he lacked was in the run game, particularly if the play went the other way, or if he was in position to get to the second level.
    Oh yeah, I forgot how bad he was as a run blocker. He was good against bull rush, but I seen him get beat loads of times, especially in the play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot how bad he was as a run blocker. He was good against bull rush, but I seen him get beat loads of times, especially in the play offs.
    I wouldn't say that either...

He was much more then adequate when we ran behind him. I basically saw him remove his man fromt he play everytime we ran behind him.

I also really didn't see the issues you saw with the speed rush either, at least not compared to Oher the year before...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I wouldn't say that either...

He was much more then adequate when we ran behind him. I basically saw him remove his man fromt he play everytime we ran behind him.

I also really didn't see the issues you saw with the speed rush either, at least not compared to Oher the year before...
    Well really there was hardley any difference between them, both struggled quite considerably through out their seasons at left tackle, for McKinnie particularly in the play offs.

Mckinnie gave up 7 sacks, 9 hits, 24 pressures in 2011.

Oher gave up 5 sacks, 10 hits, 24 pressures in 2010.

Lets compare him to everyone's favourite left tackle shall we?

Gaither only gave up 2 sacks, 1 hits, 17 pressures in 2008

and...

only 4 sacks, 2 hits, 6 pressures in 2009.