Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Derrick Mason wants to Retire as a Raven

[QUOTE=B-more Ravor;455855But, again, maybe I'm too strict. I don't think McCrary belongs in (and I often wore a Mac jersey when he was here)nor do I think Jamal should be there.[/QUOTE]

HUH?! I don't get that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragz View Post
    HUH?! I don't get that one...
    I just think the ROH should be for the best of the best. I love Michael McCrary and they way he played, but if this team creates a history like we all hope, I just don't think guys like McCrary and Jamal will be considered as the best of the best and remembered as such in the future. We love them now, but 20-30 years from now, hopefully we've had players who are much, much better and whose contributions far outweigh those of Mac.

Would either of those guys be in the Cowboys' or Skins' or Steelers' or Packers' Rings of Honor (if those teams all have ROHs)?

I just think that it should be considered the Ring of GREAT Ravens, not the Ring of VERY GOOD Ravens.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Agreed.

Yes, from a statistical perspective, he was the best receiver we have ever had. But as others have stated, that's not saying much. Ten years down the road, when other receivers have eclipsed his stats, we will all look back and think of him as an almost Ernest Byner like addition to the RoH.

His actions alone, IMO, at the Carolina game two years ago excludes him from the RoH.
    I don't think Byner is a good comparison. Byner played here for 2 years and rushed for less then 1,000 in those 2 seasons and only scored 4 TDs and even if you included his time in Browns uniform he only rushed for just over 4,000 yards.

I don't think Mason should be in the ROH but you could make a much better case for him then the one for Byner

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    I don't think Byner is a good comparison. Byner played here for 2 years and rushed for less then 1,000 in those 2 seasons and only scored 4 TDs and even if you included his time in Browns uniform he only rushed for just over 4,000 yards.

I don't think Mason should be in the ROH but you could make a much better case for him then the one for Byner
    Fair enough.

But when it's ten years from now and Mason is sitting well down the statistical list of Ravens WR's, that same argument you just made will be played out with Mason.

But yes, maybe not to the level of Byner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post

I don't think it's a statistical thing between Byner and Mason. Byner was a Cleveland Brown when Art Modell owned the team. I won't go through Byner's pro history, but I think it (ROH) was Modell's way of saying "thanks" for coming back to Cleveland/Baltimore... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Fair enough.

But when it's ten years from now and Mason is sitting well down the statistical list of Ravens WR's, that same argument you just made will be played out with Mason.

But yes, maybe not to the level of Byner.
    I understand what you are saying about comparing his stats 10 years down the road and thats why I said I don't think Mason should be in the ROH. with some of the selections I think they choose the most qualified person that season and put them in just to induct someone every year.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I won't go through Byner's pro history, but I think it (ROH) was Modell's way of saying "thanks" for coming back to Cleveland/Baltimore... Bc
    Couldn't he have just named a skybox after him or something?

Agree with those that say that the ROH should be reserved for the very best...and not the very good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    Couldn't he have just named a skybox after him or something?
    Agree with those that say that the ROH should be reserved for the very best...and not the very good.
    I agree that Byner shouldn't be in the ROH. It's just that Art Modell had a personal relationship with him, and that's why (IMO) he's in. Certainly not for anything he did with the Ravens... Bc