View Poll Results: Who will lead the Team in sacks?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Suggs

2 5.71%
  • Upshaw

4 11.43%
  • A.Jones

0 0%
  • Ngata

0 0%
  • Kindle

1 2.86%
  • McPhee

14 40.00%
  • Kruger

12 34.29%
  • Other

2 5.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Who will lead the team in sacks?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Both points are valid, but you can look at it from the other angle too.

Krugers sacks and QB pressures came off the bench...i.e. limited opportunities and he made the most of them. There is a significant potential for him to be even more effective with the increase in snaps because he'll have significantly more opportunities.

GOTA - you're right, he will be having to deal with playing the RB, but that doesn't mean that he can't or won't be able to expand on what he was able to do last year. He wasn't only out on the field during passing plays and he wasn't only rushing the passer on those plays either.
    We'll see. I'm not a Kruger fan at all. I see him as a 1-dimensional player. After a couple of games I would no be shocked to see Upshaw completely take over that spot. I also think we could see McClain playing there on running downs if there is an obvious weakness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    Who's Kruger Replacing??? If it's Redding's position, I would imagine Mr. Jones has got the inside track on 1st and 2nd down. I don't think he's going to drop in the Suggs position either. We have never seen Kruger drop back in pass coverage. Granted Suggs didn't drop alot, but he did it enough to make teams think about it. In fact, it was his inability to do that which led to the Ravens trying to put him on the D-Line full time in 2010. It just seems to me that if any guys on the roster are going to be asked to do more things with Suggs injured and JJ/Redding gone, it will be the more athletic McPhee, and Jones, not Kruger who took 3 years to find a way onto the field. Just think his upside is more limited.

That said, I think he leads the team in Sacks until Suggs returns.
    Kruger would be replacing JJ at OLB. He's not big enough to play DE and wasn't good at it when they tried to increase his weight. He's a natural OLB and they won't try to turn him into anything else.

Blog Entries

Ehh. What the hell, gimme Upshaw!
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    We'll see. I'm not a Kruger fan at all. I see him as a 1-dimensional player. After a couple of games I would no be shocked to see Upshaw completely take over that spot. I also think we could see McClain playing there on running downs if there is an obvious weakness.
    I think you might be on the right track with that. I at least haven't considered McClain shifting back outside, haven't seen talk on the board or online about it either. Was rewatching a game on NFL Rewind from 2009 against the Colts when Suggs was out for 3 games, and McClain played at the Weakside OLB with Ellerbee/Gooden next to Ray in running situations.

On 3rd down, McClain came out and they put Pryce in and JJ would play D-End and they generally went 4 down linemen.

Obviously, different DC and different players, but that's the only time Suggs has been inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Kruger and Upshaw are going to be playing for JJ and Suggs respectively, IMO. They'll be on the field at the same time all season (until Suggs comes back).

6. Re: Who will lead the team in sacks?

Kruger had 6 sacks in limited rotation last year.

Imagine what he could do as a full time pass rusher. I wouldn't be surprised if Kruger had more sacks than Suggs had last year.
    People also forget he was the only guy to sack Brady in the playoffs if i'm not mistaking.

The guy is a natural pass rusher, and he only gets better. I cant see McPhee an interior guy getting more sacks than an outside guy.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Blog Entries

Kruger had 6.5 sacks last year, McPhee had 6. Both had the same general amount of PT IIRC. I don't see where it is a stretch to think that McPhee could end up having more this year, for reasons I've started earlier.

Both points are valid, but you can look at it from the other angle too.

Krugers sacks and QB pressures came off the bench...i.e. limited opportunities and he made the most of them. There is a significant potential for him to be even more effective with the increase in snaps because he'll have significantly more opportunities.
    We will have to agree to disagree on it. I see your POV as well, I just don't think he's an every down LB. I think he is going to wear down when teams run at him and it's going to reduce his effectiveness. I would much rather see Kruger in the same role he had last year, just unfortunate that Suggs got hurt and it's going to force him to be a full time player. I would love to be wrong but again, it's wait and see for me.

McKinnie will lead the team in sack lunches. As for QB sacks, I'll say McPhee. I fear Kruger will flop.

Several people on this board seem to think Suggs will come back from his operation and return immediately at peak or near-peak efficiency. I hope they're right . . .