Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Rumours: Ravens offer a third round pick for Osi

If the Giants are wiling to do this deal for a 3rd round pick, I do it if I were Ozzie. Osi may want Suggs money, but he isn't going to get Suggs money at his age in FA. Do the trade and then let Osi test the FA market after the 2012 season. If he doesn't get any huge offers, then the Ravens resign him to a fair contract. If someone does overpay for him, then as another poster stated, the Ravens will likely get a 4th round comp pick for him. This is absolutely worth it IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    True and considering what the Colts paid Robert Mathis (who is an undersized DE never having played 3-4 OLB before) it's no wonder that Osi and his agent are going to be looking for top dollar.

It's a damned if you do/damned if you don't scenario though.

Ravens trade for him, get him on a 1 year deal, he contributes to the pass rush with 8-12 sacks and the Ravens go to the SB and the trade was worth it and makes sense. Conversely, if they trade for the guy, he can't beat out Kruger or Upshaw to get on the field, contributes very little and the Ravens don't get to the playoffs because of a lack of a pass rush and the trade was a total waste.

I would say why don't they wait till he's released, but Jerry Reese isn't going to cut him. He's a premeir pass rusher with a $3 million (IIRC) cap hit. There's no point in releasing him.

At the end of the day, I say roll with what you have. I'm still trying to figure out why Kindle cannot be a pure pass rusher on passing downs and in certain packages. He's been with the team long enough now and frankly if the kid can't digest the playbook, fine, but you don't need to digest the entire playbook if you're limiting his playing time to just "go-get'em" scenarios.

If I'm Dean Pees and after this off-season Kindle still isn't grasping certain concepts, then I'm ok with that because I've got other guys who can and do grasp those concepts. I'm installing about 8-10 snaps per game for Kindle and his one and only purpose in those snaps is to go get the QB. No dropping into coverages. No read-react scenarios. Just go out there, use your speed and strength, and hit the QB in the mouth.
    I'm with you. If Reese was going to cut Osi he would have done it last season when Osi wouldn't shut up about an extension and demanding a trade. Jerry Reese is the best GM in the NFL and Tom Coughlin knows how to handle players. Unless they get exactly what they want they're going to let Osi play out his 1 year and then see what happens.

The Giants don't have to move him. They are trying to repeat and are a pass rush based defense. They'll probably get a 3rd round comp pick when he leaves anyway which is why it's unlikely the Giants will trade him for anything that's not better than that.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Couple of things to consider: First, we're likely to get several compensatory picks next year. Probably a 3rd for Grubbs, a 4th for JJ and a couple of fifths or sixths for Haruki and Zibby (Have we signed any unrestricted FAs that would offset any of those guys?). Also, as somebody alluded to, we likely won't re-sign Osi because somebody will offer him big money elsewhere...in which case we would likely get a compensatory pick in return (perhaps a 3rd or a 4th). What's the risk if we have extra picks next year and we would get a comparable pick in return when Osi signs elsewhere in 2013? That said, I'm not sure why the Giants would deal him for a draft pick that's in a similar round as the compensatory pick they'll get in return after this season...unless they're just totally fed up with his BS and they're ready to move on asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    You do if you think you are very close to a Super Bowl, and you think you can resign that player when he realizes in FA that he isn't worth as much as he thinks he is worth.
    We were a drop catch away from the Super Bowl with no Osi on the roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    We were a drop catch away from the Super Bowl with no Osi on the roster.
    That was also with a healthy Suggs who was the Defensive Player of the Year. That's not happening in 2012.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

I say pass on Osi. It's time to see if our young guys can take the next step. Personally I think Suggs injury is a blessing in disguise. We will see how much depth we really have on the DL. The ravens interest in Osi was real last year and maybe just as real this year so schematically they obviuously see some kind of fit. However the armchair GM in me says the economics of this potential deal is too cost prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I say pass on Osi. It's time to see if our young guys can take the next step. Personally I think Suggs injury is a blessing in disguise. We will see how much depth we really have on the DL. The ravens interest in Osi was real last year and maybe just as real this year so schematically they obviuously see some kind of fit. However the armchair GM in me says the economics of this potential deal is too cost prohibitive.
    But what about this reasoning:

Couple of things to consider: First, we're likely to get several compensatory picks next year. Probably a 3rd for Grubbs, a 4th for JJ and a couple of fifths or sixths for Haruki and Zibby (Have we signed any unrestricted FAs that would offset any of those guys?). Also, as somebody alluded to, we likely won't re-sign Osi because somebody will offer him big money elsewhere...in which case we would likely get a compensatory pick in return (perhaps a 3rd or a 4th). What's the risk if we have extra picks next year and we would get a comparable pick in return when Osi signs elsewhere in 2013? That said, I'm not sure why the Giants would deal him for a draft pick that's in a similar round as the compensatory pick they'll get in return after this season...unless they're just totally fed up with his BS and they're ready to move on asap.

Maybe the hold up in the trade is that the Ravens are offerring a 3rd round pick, but the Giants want a 2nd round pick. I wonder if the Giants would take a 4th round pick plus Paul Kruger for Osi? I would do that deal as well. With the Ravens drafting Upshaw and bringing in McAdoo, maybe Kruger is expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlacco View Post
    But what about this reasoning:

valid points. 3rd seems high for a one year player but youre right, there is little incentive to trade him for a 3rd, besides getting the pick next year instead of 2 years, as i believe youre compensated for the previous years losses. Osi may not get the mega deal hes seeking though, and may end up being a lower compensatory pick than a 3rd, which is usually rarely handed out (no awarded this past season).

Maybe the hold up in the trade is that the Ravens are offerring a 3rd round pick, but the Giants want a 2nd round pick. I wonder if the Giants would take a 4th round pick plus Paul Kruger for Osi? I would do that deal as well. With the Ravens drafting Upshaw and bringing in McAdoo, maybe Kruger is expendable.
    Kruger is going to be a vital part of the success of this team this year. If they let him go next year thats one thing, but we lost one pass rusher were not going to get rid of another. Upshaw, Kindle and McAdoo havent shown anything yet, getting rid of the only proven guy on the roster would be a huge mistake and not something i think theyd even remotely consider.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm with you. If Reese was going to cut Osi he would have done it last season when Osi wouldn't shut up about an extension and demanding a trade. Jerry Reese is the best GM in the NFL and Tom Coughlin knows how to handle players. Unless they get exactly what they want they're going to let Osi play out his 1 year and then see what happens.

The Giants don't have to move him. They are trying to repeat and are a pass rush based defense. They'll probably get a 3rd round comp pick when he leaves anyway which is why it's unlikely the Giants will trade him for anything that's not better than that.
    Exactly. Giants have all the leverage with Osi. Any team that wants him is going to have to overpay significantly.

Ravens best fit for Antwan Odom

I like this idea better than Osi. dont trade, cheap, and probably will only want a one year deal anyway. Also has Alabama ties, so hes already probably on newsomes radar. To me hed be just as good as Osi for not such a steep price.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

I like this idea better than Osi. dont trade, cheap, and probably will only want a one year deal anyway. Also has Alabama ties, so hes already probably on newsomes radar. To me hed be just as good as Osi for not such a steep price.
    I like Odom as long as he's healthy. He's a fragile guy
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

I saw this same thing on NFL.com from La Canfora. It would be a good idea, but like GOTA posted, he's got to stay healthy.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

I've wanted Odom since last year. Health is an issue, but if he's healthy he's a solid DE, cheaper and fits better than Osi.

Did the Bungles play a 3-4 when he was there? :S Is he a 5 tech DE?

Blog Entries

If the Giants are wiling to do this deal for a 3rd round pick, I do it if I were Ozzie. Osi may want Suggs money, but he isn't going to get Suggs money at his age in FA. Do the trade and then let Osi test the FA market after the 2012 season. If he doesn't get any huge offers, then the Ravens resign him to a fair contract. If someone does overpay for him, then as another poster stated, the Ravens will likely get a 4th round comp pick for him. This is absolutely worth it IMO.
    I agree. Suggs may be gone for the season, or at least an appreciable amount of time. Osi has 40 sacks over the last 4 years (69 in his 8 year career). With the high hopes this team has, adding a veteran like him for a 3rd round draft choice, would be a good deal for us...even if we didn't get any comp in 2013. I want the Ravens to win the upcoming Super Bowl, Osi may help us do that, so let's let 2013 take care of itself... Bc