Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Offense

The Offense

When I think back to last season and acknowledge the struggles and the complaints following losses and some victories, it's was a common theme...The Offense. Mainly our passing game. To be even more specific the receivers. Our #1 receiver is tough, gritty with pretty good hands. But.....slow feet, struggled to get separation and most likely on the decline. Our #2 receiver has speed and can stretch the field. But....route running and hands are suspect. There's always hope he can learn these things, but a friend who was an all pro receiver in the league said to me "when a receiver doesn't have natural skills and thinks too much to compensate...the hands suffer." Meaning drops.

After the season the FO acknowledged the need. But their FA signings have been special teamers and DL depth. Cap reasons I'm sure. A receiver who is a project at best was drafted in the 6th round and because he doesn't/can't play special teams, might never suit up this year. What's left out on the market is a step back from what we currently have. Jacoby Jones is the best out there and he couldn't amount to shit with Andre Johnson on the other side of the field. Bottom line is it seems we are in store for another year of head scratching when it comes to this passing game. With the lack of moves to improve the receiving corps, are you guys confident that our passing game will improve? And why?

Re: The Offense

Passing game? No excitement from it....but Bernard Pierce will be interesting for our running game. Hopefully he and Rice are a formidable duo and Flacco can take some deep shots off of bootlegs and olayfakes.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Passing game? No excitement from it....but Bernard Pierce will be interesting for our running game. Hopefully he and Rice are a formidable duo and Flacco can take some deep shots off of bootlegs and olayfakes.
    I hope you are right. Do you think the running game will be better without Grubbs and Ricky. Ricky was running the ball better than Ray in the playoffs IMO.

Blog Entries

I think the further developement of t smith/dickson/pitta will improve the passing game in itself. Also look for an improvement in mckinnie's game to elevate it as well. Biggest problem i see is that we will still have the same old cam cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I think the further developement of t smith/dickson/pitta will improve the passing game in itself. Also look for an improvement in mckinnie's game to elevate it as well. Biggest problem i see is that we will still have the same old cam cameron.
    So do you believe our issues are more a result of scheme over personnel?

Caldwell is the key. The offensive philosophy must change so that the players strengths along with strategy which fits them is used. No receiver here in the last 4 years has been able to get any separation except Torrey due to his elite speed.

If you notice a team such as the Steelers, they have been able to get everyone open throughout the last decade.
    Their tightend Miller or Ward did not have elite speed, but they got open due to offensive strategy.

We shall see if Cam, who I believe is not capable of learning, to adapt or turn over the duties to Caldwell.
    Let's see what happens. The Ravens have the talent at the receiver position.

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    When I think back to last season and acknowledge the struggles and the complaints following losses and some victories, it's was a common theme...The Offense. Mainly our passing game. To be even more specific the receivers. Our #1 receiver is tough, gritty with pretty good hands. But.....slow feet, struggled to get separation and most likely on the decline. Our #2 receiver has speed and can stretch the field. But....route running and hands are suspect. There's always hope he can learn these things, but a friend who was an all pro receiver in the league said to me "when a receiver doesn't have natural skills and thinks too much to compensate...the hands suffer." Meaning drops.

After the season the FO acknowledged the need. But their FA signings have been special teamers and DL depth. Cap reasons I'm sure. A receiver who is a project at best was drafted in the 6th round and because he doesn't/can't play special teams, might never suit up this year. What's left out on the market is a step back from what we currently have. Jacoby Jones is the best out there and he couldn't amount to shit with Andre Johnson on the other side of the field. Bottom line is it seems we are in store for another year of head scratching when it comes to this passing game. With the lack of moves to improve the receiving corps, are you guys confident that our passing game will improve? And why?
    I think it's time for Joe to make guys like Tandon Doss and LaQuan Williams more famous, we need our own Victor Cruz. It would have helped if the Ravens found better options in free agency but at the same time they need to develop their own WRs better, by the way how are things with you man?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    Caldwell is the key. The offensive philosophy must change so that the players strengths along with strategy which fits them is used. No receiver here in the last 4 years has been able to get any separation except Torrey due to his elite speed.

If you notice a team such as the Steelers, they have been able to get everyone open throughout the last decade.
    Their tightend Miller or Ward did not have elite speed, but they got open due to offensive strategy.

We shall see if Cam, who I believe is not capable of learning, to adapt or turn over the duties to Caldwell.
    Let's see what happens. The Ravens have the talent at the receiver position.
    Appreciate the feedback. You put the majority of the blame at Cam. I understand. But how do you explain his past success?

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    I think it's time for Joe to make guys like Tandon Doss and LaQuan Williams more famous, we need our own Victor Cruz. It would have helped if the Ravens found better options in free agency but at the same time they need to develop their own WRs better, by the way how are things with you man?
    Good points. But I think Cruz is more than a by product of good QB play. Do our guys have that ability.

Blog Entries

Appreciate the feedback. You put the majority of the blame at Cam. I understand. But how do you explain his past success?
    What success? A terrible season as the HC for the Dolphins, and holding Brees and Rivers back for years who have both gone on to be "elite" QB's since he left them.

Anyway IMO this offense can only get better from last season, it's not going to be an elite offense, but it will be better and perhaps solid. One things for sure, our run game is going to remain the same, if not improve. Grubbs was a great guard for us, but he was more of a pass protector than run blocker, where as Yanda is more of a run grader. Osemele could excell at guard as a run blocker for us if he ends up being the starting left guard in 2012. From what I seen of him at Iowa at left tackle, he could step in and improve our short distance plays in the run game, which to me was one of our main weaknesses on offense last year. Bernard Pierce looks like a solid back in the short distance plays, so it will be interesting to see what we do with him.

The passing offense has never been a strong point for the Ravens, and it's really frustrating how each year we are just never any good. Only since Flacco has been with us has our passing offense even been average. Our two starting WR's are solid but nothing special, and all of our current back up WR's are unproven so that is a concern to me. However our two tight ends are going to have a full off season, and both looked like they made good progress in 2011 (granted they aren't Hernandez and Grontkowski yet). Cam doesn't really use a 3rd WR as we all know, and prefers using two TE sets, which probably works out well with what we have.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Good points. But I think Cruz is more than a by product of good QB play. Do our guys have that ability.
    It's up to them to determine how bad they want it, the coaches and Joe have to put them in the best possible situation to succeed but they have to want it bad enough. We're going to find out how bad these young WRs want it, Tommy Streeter is already working out with RayLew so if he can work on the fundamentals he has a chance to be more than a project his rookie year.

A receiver who is a project at best was drafted in the 6th round and because he doesn't/can't play special teams, might never suit up this year.
    How do you know this? He might be crap, but the guy hasn't even stepped onto the practice field with the Ravens yet. Maybe he didn't play special teams because he wasn't asked to do so in college. That does not mean he cannot play them. This is a bad assumption - even for a 6th round project.

Bottom line is it seems we are in store for another year of head scratching when it comes to this passing game.
    Maybe. Maybe not.

Look at the following list of WRs in the league. Without exception every one of them saw his statistics rise dramatically (catches and yards) within one or two years of starting out. The common thread between them is that each one saw his situation/circumstances change, and took full advantage of that. I'm not saying any WR currently on the Ravens will end up like any of these guys, but maybe if one is given the opportunity he will.

Steve Smith - 10 rec/154 yds to 88 rec/1,110 yds
    Sidney Rice - 31 rec/396 yds to 83 rec/1,312 yds
    Jordy Nelson- 22 rec/320 yds to 68 rec/1,263 yds
    Wes Welker - 29 rec/434 yds to 112 rec/1,175 yds
    Victory Cruz - 0 rec (3 games dressed) to 82 rec/1536 yds
    Steve Breaston - 8 rec/92 yds to 77 rec/1006 yds

So, I am not at all convinced that the Ravens won't improve the passing attack this fall, and that the players to do it are already under contract. You may be right, but we really don't know that answer; everything is just a guess. The bigger issue seems to be the coaching staff's ability to maximize the strengths of the players they have and their willingness to use them and trust their skills. No one gets any experience without being given the opportunity to contribute.