Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Yanda restructures deal

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I wish they would restructure ed reed. Add a couple years to his deal and save a few mil from his cap hit this year.
    Why? As great a player as he has been, and I do agree he's a HOF Safety, why extend him now when his contract is up at the end of 2012? IMO best scenario is the Ravens win the Super Bowl, and Ed Reed retires. All good things must come to an end... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Why? As great a player as he has been, and I do agree he's a HOF Safety, why extend him now when his contract is up at the end of 2012? IMO best scenario is the Ravens win the Super Bowl, and Ed Reed retires. All good things must come to an end... Bc
    That would be the best case scenario, then he and ray retire. but extend him now like they did ray to a cap friendly deal where they can cut him if they want or when he retires there is no cap it. If the Osi deal happens, then i see this happening as well as Rice signing.

What people dont understand about restructuring contracts is that teams that do it often are in cap trouble every year and have to cut players at times who can still play and also stops them from signing other teams FAs. When was the last time the Steelers signed another teams FA? they probably wont be able to afford wallace next year unless they cut harrison and restructure troy p. They will probably also have to cut Hampton soon too. I dont want to see the ravens cutting players every year and never being able to sign other teams FAs because of always borrowing against the future.

If you restructure to many contracts it will add up at one point and a team will have to impload the roster to be under the cap.

Blog Entries

As flaky as Ed Reed is (I'm retiring, I want a new contract, etc.) I don't see them adding years. He may come in next week and say he's decided to coach high school football...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    As flaky as Ed Reed is (I'm retiring, I want a new contract, etc.) I don't see them adding years. He may come in next week and say he's decided to coach high school football...
    Word.

Restructuring Ed Reed could also wind up hurting the cap more in the long run and giving him more money than what he's really worth. I love Ed Reed and want him to retire a Raven, but he's lucky the Ravens haven't asked him to take a paycut because 35 year old safeties don't normally get paid like he will this year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Word.

Restructuring Ed Reed could also wind up hurting the cap more in the long run and giving him more money than what he's really worth. I love Ed Reed and want him to retire a Raven, but he's lucky the Ravens haven't asked him to take a paycut because 35 year old safeties don't normally get paid like he will this year.
    If they extend him a couple years, his base salary fo this year goes down significantly. I dont yhink his asking price would be too high. If ed reed isnt playing for the ravens next year, he will be playing for someone else. By all indications, and by that i mean everything that ed reed himself has said, he plans to play another 2-3 years. The could get a cap friendly deal done.

Blog Entries

Ed wants to be paid. He's not going to take less money for the better of the team. All his whining about it over the last few years makes that clear. He wants market value for a top safety.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Even if the ravens win the super bowl this year, i dont think ed is going to retire. Everytime he has talked about retiring, going back the last few years, at the very least, he has said he plans on playing til he is 35. That would be at least 2 more years. And then recently he said he sees himself playing longer than that.

I dont think he is looking to be paid like he is the best safety in the league. I could be wrong about that but i could see him signing an extension like ray did to finish his career here.

We have the most promising stable of young cornerbacks in the league, IMO, and ji just want to see ed reed in purple a few more years. His knowledge and on the field leadership is just as valuable, if not moreso, as his physical abilities. It would be a win win for everybody to keep around for another 3 years. IMHO

I dont think he is looking to be paid like he is the best safety in the league. I could be wrong about that but i could see him signing an extension like ray did to finish his career here.

As much as we all love Ray Lewis, don't forget the only reason he's finishing his career here is because he thought other teams would be willing to pay him big bucks and he was wrong. It will be a very similar situation to Ray's in that the Ravens will offer him money, he won't think it's enough and test the market only to find the Ravens are offering him the most (although not nearly the amount he feels he should get). At that point it's a matter of how much Ed's pride is hurt and if he's willing to take the money here... or he's stubborn and plays somewhere else because he feels slighted.

Blog Entries

If they extend him a couple years, his base salary fo this year goes down significantly. I dont yhink his asking price would be too high. If ed reed isnt playing for the ravens next year, he will be playing for someone else. By all indications, and by that i mean everything that ed reed himself has said, he plans to play another 2-3 years. The could get a cap friendly deal done.
    extending him wont change his base salary for this season but it will lower his cap number because his signing bonus will be spread over the life of the contract

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    As much as we all love Ray Lewis, don't forget the only reason he's finishing his career here is because he thought other teams would be willing to pay him big bucks and he was wrong. It will be a very similar situation to Ray's in that the Ravens will offer him money, he won't think it's enough and test the market only to find the Ravens are offering him the most (although not nearly the amount he feels he should get). At that point it's a matter of how much Ed's pride is hurt and if he's willing to take the money here... or he's stubborn and plays somewhere else because he feels slighted.
    :word

Exactly. Players only have so many times they can earn life changing money. If they think it's out there they are going to try and get it. Fans don't like to hear that but it's almost always the case.