Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Will Washington and Dallas get their cap money back?

There is a hearing tomorrow, which will undoubtedly lead to more hearings. But since it was a spiritual agreement and the league and PA signed off on the docs, I don't see how it will stand up in court. Meaning - I think they WILL get their cap money back.

Any thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...ys-cap-hearing

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Re: Will Washington and Dallas get their cap money back?

I don't think so, but stranger has happened. I mean one reason we are stuck franchising Ray Rice is because we didn't up in an uncapped year. I can't see how it is fair to the other 30 teams to give Dallas or Washington anything.

I think they should.

The NFL is really walking on some incredibly shaky and flimsy ground lately with these punishments...This, Bountygate (I find it baffling that the league seems to assume they don't have to share any hard evidence with anybody), even the McBean lift of his punishment as long as he didn't challenge them in court.

Blog Entries

I don't think they will or should. Every team was warned and they were pretty much the only ones that didn't listen.

Blog Entries

It was an uncapped year. There was nothing in writing to say they shouldn't rework some of their contracts. An agreement 'in spirit' just doesn't typically hold up in court but then again the NFL's rights to maintain competetive balance may override things.

This is a good article:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...JzBU_blog.html

According to several people familiar with the case, the league found that the Redskins and Cowboys technically violated no salary cap rules but sought to gain an unfair competitive advantage when the salary cap went back into effect. The two teams, according to those people familiar with the case, paid money to players during the uncapped year that otherwise would have been paid in subsequent years with the salary cap back in place. That way, the money never counted against the cap and the teams cleared salary cap space in future seasons.

The 2010 season was played without a salary cap under a provision in the sport’s previous labor agreement. It went back into effect last year with the ratification of a new CBA by the league and union.

It seems very effed up to penalise teams for not breaking any rules.

I have also heard that just trying to fine teams for breaking "the spirit of the cap" what ever that means, proves illegal collusion and exposes the NFL to damages for enforcing an artificial cap in what was supposed to be an uncapped year.

Also Jerry Jones made a very hard to argue point. The leauge had to approve all of those contracts in the first place. If they had a problem with them, they should have dealt with it then, not after the fact.

:T2:

All of the contracts were approved by the league and there was no rule, regulation, or covenant that prohibited the Redskins and Cowboys conduct at the time of the contracts.

This whole business to me is simply the NFL punishing two teams for not engaging in collusion, a practice which (unlike the Redskins and Cowboys contracts) is specifically prohibited.

The NFL deserves to get egg on their face over this in a huge way. If DC and Dallas really, really want to, they have the nuclear option in their back pocket of ratting out the NFL's unspoken collusion practices to whoever will listen. That would blow up the entire NFL.

No. The arbitrator would likely have to find that the Commissioner's actions were beyond his authority, or abusive.

Don't forget, Ravens fans, that our salary cap would be lowered if the Redskins and/or Cowboys were to regain their caps.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    All of the contracts were approved by the league and there was no rule, regulation, or covenant that prohibited the Redskins and Cowboys conduct at the time of the contracts.

This whole business to me is simply the NFL punishing two teams for not engaging in collusion, a practice which (unlike the Redskins and Cowboys contracts) is specifically prohibited.

The NFL deserves to get egg on their face over this in a huge way. If DC and Dallas really, really want to, they have the nuclear option in their back pocket of ratting out the NFL's unspoken collusion practices to whoever will listen. That would blow up the entire NFL.
    WORD!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It was an uncapped year. There was nothing in writing to say they shouldn't rework some of their contracts. An agreement 'in spirit' just doesn't typically hold up in court but then again the NFL's rights to maintain competetive balance may override things.

This is a good article:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...JzBU_blog.html
    I am not a lawyer but agreements in spirit or oral agreements can indeed hold up in court.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    If your boss tells you not to do X three time and you end up doing X, you're subject to punishment. Makes no different if X was written down on paper.

And the collusion argument is 100% bupkis. 30 owners deciding something does not equate to collusion under labor rules. That went out the window when the owners, with NFLPA approval mind you, decided to split the cash evenly.
    I've seen no proof that they were told not to do this and the contracts were approved. The union is going to agree because it means more money to the players. I think the league may be caught with their pants down on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I've seen no proof that they were told not to do this and the contracts were approved. I think the league may be caught with their pants down on this one
    1. The league has said so numerous times, and call them what you will, but liars has not been one of the names used to describe them.

2. If they didn't give the warning, the NFLPA would be screaming from the mountain tops.

3. 30 other owners are awfully quiet. If this was never said to the owners, we'd know about it by now. The other owners would be furious this went down.