Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    IMO, religion does have no place in politics and this piece on CNN that I posted up is exactly why.

Religion is emotional and personal. Things that go against your religion cause emotional stress and pressures that can influence decision making, which is bad for public policy because not everyone agrees with one's religious convictions.

Here we have something as simple as the definition of "marriage" impacting people's potential votes because according to their religion "marriage" is defined by the union of a man and a woman.

Emotional decision making = irrational decision making in a lot of circumstances and THAT, IMO, has no place in politics.
    I do not disagree. But, how do you propose to make it disappear as a factor? There are many people who depend on their clergyman to tell them what to do and how to think.

I think the candidates all know better than to use religion (at least directly) either as an attack against an opponent or to bolster themselves. However, they do express views that maybe are driven by their mores and morality or beliefs and could be construed as "religious".

Following one's emotions doesn't always lead to bad decisions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JStruds View Post
    I do not disagree. But, how do you propose to make it disappear as a factor? There are many people who depend on their clergyman to tell them what to do and how to think.

I think the candidates all know better than to use religion (at least directly) either as an attack against an opponent or to bolster themselves. However, they do express views that maybe are driven by their mores and morality or beliefs and could be construed as "religious".

Following one's emotions doesn't always lead to bad decisions.
    It shouldn't even have been a factor in the first place.

To get rid of it? I have no idea. I suppose you can't as long as organized religion exists.

Candidates should be able to make decisions based on what is good for the public not what falls in line with their religious convictions. Piers Morgan interviewed Chris Christie not too long ago about same-sex-marriage and he blatantly said that he didn't care what other states were doing or if the majority of NJ wanted to approve SSM, he'd veto it because it violates his beliefs on what defines marriage. However, he did say that he would rather call a referendum and actually put the issue on the ballot and let the NJ constituents decide. It was a smart and unbiased move on Christie's part to (a) recognize that he doesn't believe in the issue so therefor he couldn't be impartial about it and (b) allowing the populace to truly decide on the matter is the only fair way to go about it.

I didn't say that following your emotions always leads to bad decision making. I said emotional decision making CAN lead to IRRATIONAL decision making. That doesn't mean that it's a bad decision, but it could have been irrational and potentially handled better.

If a co-worker comes at you in the office hollering and screaming at you about something really trivial and you get emotionally charged and fire back at your co-worker, you could say some things that could get you in trouble. It's not necessarily the worst decision to fire back because you're standing up for yourself, but due to high emotions and getting into that "fight/flight" mentality, there could be some irrational responses. If the same thing happens and you let them blow up at you and then you allow your emotions to dissolve a bit then you can likely think about handling the situation in a much more controlled and effective manner (i.e. talking to the person behind closed doors with a mediator present [boss], etc).
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 05-14-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

Even the black churches are vs his endorsement. Doubt they vote vs him but they
    don't like it.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-14-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Even the black churches are vs his endorsement. Doubt they vote vs him but they
    don't like it.
    You find me one AA voter who switches his/her vote to Romney because of Obama's "coming out", I'll give $5 each*. Blacks don't switch their vote easily and they vote Democrat nearly 100% of the time. They might be pissed about Obama's stance but if it comes down to voting out the first black POTUS or voting for another white guy, they'll go with the black guy. Or just stay home (which is Obama's biggest fear).

*- I'm not really giving you $5, just making a point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    You find me one AA voter who switches his/her vote to Romney because of Obama's "coming out", I'll give $5 each*. Blacks don't switch their vote easily and they vote Democrat nearly 100% of the time. They might be pissed about Obama's stance but if it comes down to voting out the first black POTUS or voting for another white guy, they'll go with the black guy. Or just stay home (which is Obama's biggest fear).

*- I'm not really giving you $5, just making a point.

Read my post 4G.

I said they probably won't vote vs him. They're pissed but not enough to vote
    vs a black incumbent.

My point is he's alienating all Christians, even the blacks.

On second thought, I know some black Christians that voted vs him the last time.
    They are in my church and there are more.

I'll introduce you to Charlie. BTW, I asked him years ago where were all the blacks in
    Baltimore when Tony Evans preached at Sandy Cove Camp in NE Maryland. There
    were about 1,000 people each night but only about 100 blacks supported their own
    man.