Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 85 to 96 of 110
  1. #85

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?



    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Yes, it has everything to do with disagreeing with you. You said the people who keep this from happening are... Since I disagree, you're saying I'm old in mind/body.
    The ideology that only men and woman can marry each other is in fact very old. This isn't an opinion. And there's nothing wrong with old people by the way. I do however have a problem with people who say things like:

    I have no interest in arguing with you because I don't respect you.
    Cool story bro. Sounds like you've got the disrespect thing down pretty good by now.




  2. #86

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    It's all good, you did leave a little wiggle room in there.

    You still have not acknowledge though, that is democrat voters who are voting against gay marriage as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    It's all good, you did leave a little wiggle room in there.

    You still have not acknowledge though, that is democrat voters to who are voting against gay marriage as well.
    You left a LOT of wiggle room too my friend But I digress...

    Like I said, historically when minority rights are put to a vote, they are shot down. There's a pretty significant streak going right now that emphasizes the point, and it goes well beyond the two examples you cited.

    What is the psychology behind that? Probably some combination of educational ignorance, lack of empathy, or a lack of information. It also doesn't help that we are talking about minorities. That implies a voting disadvantage that is clearly difficult to overcome.

    There is also the prejudice of other minorities who traditionally vote democratic in elections (religious African Americans and Hispanics), yet disapprove of the LGBT community on those religious grounds. While that is almost impossible for me to reconcile, it nevertheless is a reality that makes this issue not only fraught for the President, but for anyone who supports marriage equality legislation at the state level.

    As Ted Olson pointed out a few days ago, the Supreme Court has ruled marriage to be a fundamental right of Americans 14 times. What Republicans are doing on this issue flies in the face of not only everything I stand for as a human being, but also in the face of everything this country is supposed to represent to the world.

    I think it will ultimately hurt the Republican party, and as I explained, I think it contradicts the ideals they claim to be so passionate about.




  3. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,950

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    More proof this was not what Obama wanted to do and shows it may have been a net negative for the President.

    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...nge-their-vote

    60% say his stance makes no difference in their vote.
    26% say it makes them less likely to vote for him.
    Only 13% say it will make them more likely to vote for him.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Cogent and agreeable till you were instinctively forced to bee-line toward ridiculousness like a honeybee toward a daylily. Damn Liberal impulses.



    Senior Citizens account for roughly 12% of the population. Even assuming every one of them was conservative, pretty sure they weren't the only ones holding things back.


    Being what would be considered as a "young person" I'm embarrassed by the general way politics is not only viewed, but handled by the majority of young people. See OWS. A fundamental understanding of government and its role is receding further with each generation. The majority of young people from my experience prefer to receive their political updates via Stephen Colbert and John Stewart.

    It's always comical seeing a liberal attempt to encapsulate everything that embodies conservativism by using anything Palin. Her daughter could not be more irrelevant in the mind of conservatives, especially young conservatives.
    Senior citizens don't take their right to vote for granted while the rest of the demographics across the board has pretty poor voter turnout.

    As for Colbert and Stewart, I attribute that to the fact that their satire is often way more informative than the actual news. None of the big news channels it's really doing a good job with anymore. Personally, I'm in love with NPR, but that's just me.

    And I agree that an understanding of government is receding. Unfortunately, that understanding us receding from the government too. The constitution doesn't mesh what it used to anymore

    Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2




  5. #89

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    The highly amusing thing about this entire argument is that not even the gay community agrees 100% on gay marriages. At least half the gay folks I know are opposed to gay marriage, a couple of them even more fiercely opposed than the holy rollers I hang out with.

    Yet straight people, with no horse in the race, get really fired up about it.




  6. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tenuous
    Posts
    4,920
    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    The highly amusing thing about this entire argument is that not even the gay community agrees 100% on gay marriages. At least half the gay folks I know are opposed to gay marriage, a couple of them even more fiercely opposed than the holy rollers I hang out with.

    Yet straight people, with no horse in the race, get really fired up about it.
    Sure. And i guess half the black folks you know really want to be told to sit in the back of the bus too, right?

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2








  7. #91

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Sure. And i guess half the black folks you know really want to be told to sit in the back of the bus too, right?

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thief, have you ever taken the time to talk to gay people or do you just go ahead and try to decide what's best for everyone without any input from them?

    No, a hypocritical thief like you probably hasn't.

    Never mind.




  8. #92
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,950

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Thief, have you ever taken the time to talk to gay people or do you just go ahead and try to decide what's best for everyone without any input from them?
    I think it's fairly obvious Galen has had very little input from anyone within the gay community.

    Thus is the liberal way.

    Liberalism = The haunting fear that someone, somewhere can think for themselves.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think it's fairly obvious Galen has had very little input from anyone within the gay community.

    Thus is the liberal way.

    Liberalism = The haunting fear that someone, somewhere can think for themselves.
    I believe that if a gay couple a wants to get married they should be able too. Simple as that. Equal protection under the law means equal, not just for some people.

    Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2




  10. #94
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,950

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    I believe that if a gay couple a wants to get married they should be able too. Simple as that. Equal protection under the law means equal, not just for some people.
    I agree.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  11. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tenuous
    Posts
    4,920
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think it's fairly obvious Galen has had very little input from anyone within the gay community.

    Thus is the liberal way.

    Liberalism = The haunting fear that someone, somewhere can think for themselves.
    Usually people that make comments like "i have a lot of gay friends so......" or "i have a ton of minority friends who....." are reaching. I can't think of one gay person i know who doesnt want to be treated like everyone else unless they are in protest of the bigotry associated with marriage inequality. I do know of one couple who doesn't want to get married out of this scenario but to think a gay person is denying themselves equal rights out a desire to put the bigotry of their party first is absolutely unbelievable to me or extremely sad.

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2








  12. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,950
    I have a lot of white friends. I must be reaching.

    I have a lot of female friends. I must be reaching.

    I have a lot of male friends. I must be reaching.

    See what I did there?

    You're more than welcome Galen, to meet my wife and I next time we are in Fells and meet our friends. We will share a pint of Resurrection and you can see just how much "reaching" we do.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland