Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 110
  1. #91

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?



    Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Sure. And i guess half the black folks you know really want to be told to sit in the back of the bus too, right?

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thief, have you ever taken the time to talk to gay people or do you just go ahead and try to decide what's best for everyone without any input from them?

    No, a hypocritical thief like you probably hasn't.

    Never mind.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock




  2. #92
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,514

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Thief, have you ever taken the time to talk to gay people or do you just go ahead and try to decide what's best for everyone without any input from them?
    I think it's fairly obvious Galen has had very little input from anyone within the gay community.

    Thus is the liberal way.

    Liberalism = The haunting fear that someone, somewhere can think for themselves.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think it's fairly obvious Galen has had very little input from anyone within the gay community.

    Thus is the liberal way.

    Liberalism = The haunting fear that someone, somewhere can think for themselves.
    I believe that if a gay couple a wants to get married they should be able too. Simple as that. Equal protection under the law means equal, not just for some people.

    Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2




  4. #94
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,514

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    I believe that if a gay couple a wants to get married they should be able too. Simple as that. Equal protection under the law means equal, not just for some people.
    I agree.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tenuous
    Posts
    4,920
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think it's fairly obvious Galen has had very little input from anyone within the gay community.

    Thus is the liberal way.

    Liberalism = The haunting fear that someone, somewhere can think for themselves.
    Usually people that make comments like "i have a lot of gay friends so......" or "i have a ton of minority friends who....." are reaching. I can't think of one gay person i know who doesnt want to be treated like everyone else unless they are in protest of the bigotry associated with marriage inequality. I do know of one couple who doesn't want to get married out of this scenario but to think a gay person is denying themselves equal rights out a desire to put the bigotry of their party first is absolutely unbelievable to me or extremely sad.

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2








  6. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,514
    I have a lot of white friends. I must be reaching.

    I have a lot of female friends. I must be reaching.

    I have a lot of male friends. I must be reaching.

    See what I did there?

    You're more than welcome Galen, to meet my wife and I next time we are in Fells and meet our friends. We will share a pint of Resurrection and you can see just how much "reaching" we do.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    Wanting to be treated equally, is what everyone wants. What Darb is saying however, is that most gay people don't care about marriage. Like "TheEP" said, why would gay couples want approval from a group who views their actions as sinful (paraphrasing).

    Gay couples who do care about marriage should have the option available to them since the government is involved. But people I know who are gay (which I admit is not more than a handful or two) don't care about being married, they care that they are told they can't.




  8. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Wanting to be treated equally, is what everyone wants. What Darb is saying however, is that most gay people don't care about marriage. Like "TheEP" said, why would gay couples want approval from a group who views their actions as sinful (paraphrasing).

    Gay couples who do care about marriage should have the option available to them since the government is involved. But people I know who are gay (which I admit is not more than a handful or two) don't care about being married, they care that they are told they can't.
    That's absolutely the core of the issue . Couldn't have said or any better

    Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2




  9. #99

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    I know more gay folks than most folks on this board because of my job. Admittedly we don't sit around discussing the political ramifications of being gay, but every so often, like Obama saying he's pro-gay marriage, the topic comes up. It's really about a 50/50 split with gay males leaning more towards anti-gay marriage while the lesbians want it legalized.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock




  10. #100
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tenuous
    Posts
    4,920
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I have a lot of white friends. I must be reaching.

    I have a lot of female friends. I must be reaching.

    I have a lot of male friends. I must be reaching.

    See what I did there?

    You're more than welcome Galen, to meet my wife and I next time we are in Fells and meet our friends. We will share a pint of Resurrection and you can see just how much "reaching" we do.
    The truth is gay people are everywhere. When people start bragging about knowing gay people it just always sounds odd to me. Who doesnt know gay people? You make it sound like they are exotics or something. I am sure you know gay people, how can you not. Trap probably even knows gay people...in fact statistically speaking he has probably had a gay person sit next to him in church but he would never know it.

    You dont need to preface conversations about gay people with "my wife knows a gay couple so I am like in the know here". When you do that it just demonstrates how unusual it must be for you.

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2








  11. #101

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    Thief, who in the hell was bragging about knowing gay people?

    Unlike you and the rest of the thieves, I don't lump people together based on race/religion/sexual preference. Hence my original statement of "...gay folks I know..." I don't know every gay person on the planet so I don't know what everyone of them thinks.

    Of course there's no chance a racist thief like you could ever grasp that concept. You're way too busy forcing everybody to fit in your comfortable little pigeon holes.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock




  12. #102
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    The truth is gay people are everywhere. When people start bragging about knowing gay people it just always sounds odd to me. Who doesnt know gay people? You make it sound like they are exotics or something. I am sure you know gay people, how can you not. Trap probably even knows gay people...in fact statistically speaking he has probably had a gay person sit next to him in church but he would never know it.

    You dont need to preface conversations about gay people with "my wife knows a gay couple so I am like in the know here". When you do that it just demonstrates how unusual it must be for you.

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    I actually agree with Galen on this post. HR was doing a lot of self edifying saying he
    knew those gays and one was in his wedding singling them out. They wouldn't want
    that, same as a minority saying one is your best friend.

    Galen is right that I knew gays. I'm sure there were gays in church and I didn't know it. At least they didn't come in holding hands like they did when we were all drafted and they tried to get out of the Army by pretending to be gay, and I've said our church
    wouldn't turn them out.

    When I was 15 I had a gay superior who was the manager of the entire dept store. I
    knew he was gay because he tried to go down on me. I was a big dude and built like
    a defensive tackle and played on the line and people still say I look like a defensive tackle (even DeCosta called me a big dude when I asked him questions at a Nest 1
    meeting). So I kicked him in the nuts and ran home and told my dad and he almost killed him. He kicked the hell out of him. Then took me down town to the VP of the co.

    The store didn't do a damn thing to him other than to keep him away from me and he did. No one did things to them back then. By the time I was an adult and realized I could do something to him ala Sandusky of Penn State he was dead.

    So Galen is right. I have known them but it is the sin we hate, like God, not the
    sinner, not even the guy who tried to make me gay.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-14-2012 at 08:20 AM.




  13. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,888
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...rt/?hpt=us_mid

    The POTUS's announcement could have some major ramifications throughout black communities.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  14. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Harford County
    Posts
    340

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...rt/?hpt=us_mid

    The POTUS's announcement could have some major ramifications throughout black communities.
    I think you've commented several times that religion has no place in politics, but here again is evidence that it does have a place - whether we like it or not.
    Voters will continue to consider religion as a factor in who they vote for; although I think (hope?) that for most of it is a minor factor.




  15. #105
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,888
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

    Quote Originally Posted by JStruds View Post
    I think you've commented several times that religion has no place in politics, but here again is evidence that it does have a place - whether we like it or not.
    Voters will continue to consider religion as a factor in who they vote for; although I think (hope?) that for most of it is a minor factor.
    IMO, religion does not have a place in politics and this piece on CNN that I posted up is exactly why.

    Religion is emotional and personal. Things that go against your religion cause emotional stress and pressures that can influence decision making, which is bad for public policy because not everyone agrees with one's religious convictions.

    Here we have something as simple as the definition of "marriage" impacting people's potential votes because according to their religion "marriage" is defined by the union of a man and a woman.

    Emotional decision making = irrational decision making in a lot of circumstances and THAT, IMO, has no place in politics. That is why the Framer's agreed upon the separation of church and state. They knew how religion can negatively impact public policy and political agenda being that they had just fought for independance from a religious monarchy.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland