Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

There are some rumors spreading that Obama is about to announce a full endorsement of marriage rights for all today during a 1:30 interview. Anything short of this would be a disappointment and coming the day after the travesty in North Carolina would be a big deal.

Let's go Obama, here is a chance to walk the walk.

Blog Entries

Re: Obama about to announce support of marriage rights for all?

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    There are some rumors spreading that Obama is about to announce a full endorsement of marriage rights for all today during a 1:30 interview. Anything short of this would be a disappointment and coming the day after the travesty in North Carolina would be a big deal.

Let's go Obama, here is a chance to walk the walk.
    I voted against the amendment because I don't believe the government should be in the marriage business at all. The worst part of the amendment is it does away with legal unions for any group of people.

If he comes out in full support of gay marriage it would surprise me a little, but not much, he needs to rally his base.

100 percent agree about government in marriage. However as long as tax breaks and protections ate provided, everyone should have a fair shot.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    100 percent agree about government in marriage. However as long as tax breaks and protections ate provided, everyone should have a fair shot.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    Pretty much.

And if you want to call it something different, fine, whatever. But the same privileges need to be given to everyone.

Blog Entries

So he is now for gay marriage.

Good for him, just wondering, does this mean "he was against it before he was for it"
    Last edited by NCRAVEN; 05-09-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo

NC... Did you mean to say that he IS for gay marriage?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76103.html <Article dated 3pm today.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prez from said article
    “I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.”

“I’ve stood on the side of broader equality for the LGBT community. I hestitated on gay marriage in part because I thought civil unions would be sufficient, I was sensitive to the fact that for a lot of people, the word ‘marriage’ evokes very powerful traditions, religious beliefs.”
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    NC... Did you mean to say that he IS for gay marriage?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76103.html <Article dated 3pm today.
    Yes I did, sorry. I meant to say now and not "not"

Word... Yea, I'm not a fan of government being involved in marriage at all. I think that everyone who wants to and is over 18 should be allowed to hitch up. My compromise is that everyone is civil unioned, and churches and synagogues, and mosques, and what have you will have the option of blessing whichever civil unions they deem appropriate as "marriages."

That way marriage stays a religious institution and civil partnership (and the civil benefits like taxes and rights to make medical decisions in an emergency) are available to everyone.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Word... Yea, I'm not a fan of government being involved in marriage at all. I think that everyone who wants to and is over 18 should be allowed to hitch up. My compromise is that everyone is civil unioned, and churches and synagogues, and mosques, and what have you will have the option of blessing whichever civil unions they deem appropriate as "marriages."

That way marriage stays a religious institution and civil partnership (and the civil benefits like taxes and rights to make medical decisions in an emergency) are available to everyone.
    Pretty much where I am too. I might add that civil unions don't have to be just for same-sex couples. Not everyone is religious, and not EVERY religion won't marry same-sex couples. So if we were to take your approach (and pretty much mine) it's not a separate but equal thing, it's religion is separate, not the privileges (if any apply).

Exactly! All couples get civil unions in order to be legally bound, get tax benefits, receive vet spouse benefits, etc, and then the religious folks can take their civil union papers to a church and get it turned into a marriage. Or not.

It seems so stupidly simple and obvious that I'm sure no one in power will think of it for at least a couple more election cycles.

Blog Entries

In related news.

View the poll this. Of 5k people (at the time I voted) 69% believe he did this for political reasons.
    http://news.yahoo.com/gay-marriage/

Exactly! All couples get civil unions in order to be legally bound, get tax benefits, receive vet spouse benefits, etc, and then the religious folks can take their civil union papers to a church and get it turned into a marriage. Or not.

It seems so stupidly simple and obvious that I'm sure no one in power will think of it for at least a couple more election cycles.
    I don't think it is this simple for some people. For one, not everyone recognizes the word "marriage" as church bound. I for one have no church affiliation but am married. People grow up with the understanding that they will get married not "civil unioned". When you go to the court house, you get a "marriage certificate".

I would imagine for a gay person who might have always looked forward to getting "married", it would be somewhat dehumanizing to be told be denied what others that look just like you have access. I still think the best analogy is when african americans were not allowed to ride in the front of the bus. The thinking was that you cna have the rigths to ride a bus but you have to be on the back only. This is degrading. You can be in love, committed and have civil union rights but can't use the word married. Its no different than being told you have to ride on the back of the bus. We frown upon that type of thinking just like we will eventually frown on the civil union type of thinking eventually.

Obama just showed presidential leadership.