View Poll Results: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • L.Williams

    3 6.82%
  • Tandon Doss

    15 34.09%
  • Tommy Streeter

    1 2.27%
  • Jacoby Jones

    24 54.55%
  • Other.

    1 2.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hyattsville
    Posts
    2,158

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?



    Going strictly by number of catches over the last couple of years, I would have to say our number 3 receive will *technically* be Torrey Smith because Ray Rice and Boldin will have the most catches. Therefore, I said "Other."




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,855
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    I'm going with Doss, but in reality the #3 receiver is going to be either Pitta, Dickson, or Ray Rice. Cam doesn't use 3+ WR sets. He'll split TE's out wide...but that's about the extent of it.

    The reason I say Doss is because he'll have a leg up over Jacoby Jones regarding the playbook & little things like that.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #18

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm going with Doss, but in reality the #3 receiver is going to be either Pitta, Dickson, or Ray Rice. Cam doesn't use 3+ WR sets. He'll split TE's out wide...but that's about the extent of it.

    The reason I say Doss is because he'll have a leg up over Jacoby Jones regarding the playbook & little things like that.
    So cam Like two TE set over 3 wr? Based on what 2011?
    So 2011 was a typical Cam season unlike 2008, 2009 and 2010?

    I believe Cam is trying to get the best personel on the field, nothing else.. If Evans have had a typical Evans season I guess our offense had been another beast last year.

    Btw I take Doss as well, he is unmarked territory though.
    I guess 3, 4, 5 and a possible sixth spot is pretty much open for competion.




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    I'm not saying Jones is going to become a dangerous #1 receiver for us, but none of expected much from Pollard, and I know quite a few people who complained about the signing. In 2011 he had a very solid season, and was a pro bowl alternative I believe? I think Jacoby at least gets that #3 receiving position, and at least compliments Boldin and Smith going deep, maybe the system here will suit him much better.




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    They wouldn't have signed Jones to the deal they did if they didn't intend for him to play a role on offense as well as a PR/KR guy. So I'm going to say it's going to be him. Plus, he just fits what they want outside in the 3WR sets more than anybody else on the roster. Another big, fast guy to play outside with Boldin in the slot.




  6. #21

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I'm not saying Jones is going to become a dangerous #1 receiver for us, but none of expected much from Pollard, and I know quite a few people who complained about the signing. In 2011 he had a very solid season, and was a pro bowl alternative I believe? I think Jacoby at least gets that #3 receiving position, and at least compliments Boldin and Smith going deep, maybe the system here will suit him much better.
    How does Pollard relate to Jones? Two totally different players two totally different positions.. For every pollard you bring up i can bring up 10 signings that didn't work out. The obvious from last year Lee Evans. Just saying i dont know your rationale in saying Pollard translates to Jones working out. I dont see it.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb





  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,035
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    The #3 receiver last season caught 4 balls. It probably doesn't even matter who the #3 is because they aren't really part of Cam's offense.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  8. #23

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The #3 receiver last season caught 4 balls. It probably doesn't even matter who the #3 is because they aren't really part of Cam's offense.
    I think we're getting a little carried away with this theme. In 2011 our #3 WR caught 4 balls (8 total if you count both Evans and Williams,) but in 2010 our #3 WR (Houshmandzadeh) caught 30. Those 30 receptions were moved essentially from our #3 WR to our #2 TE from 2010 to 2011.

    That makes sense, because for most of 2011 our #2 TE was a much, much better target than our #3 WR (mostly because we didn't HAVE a #3 WR due to injury.) It makes even more sense when you consider that Pitta spent a sizable portion of time literally lined up as a WR, so what's the difference between our #2 TE and our #3 WR? Essentially nothing.

    We prioritize our 3rd receiver (whether that's a WR or TE) less than other teams, but there is still room on this team for that player. It might be Pitta or it might be a different player entirely. It will really be a function of simply putting the best pass-catchers on the field, whether that's in a 2TE or 3WR formation. Frankly, I think we're better served just using Pitta as our starting TE, relegating Dickson to the bench, and going with 3 WRs in a passing set. That's what we did in 2010 (except Heap at TE instead of Pitta of course.) I just don't think we got enough receiving ability out of the 2TE formation last year.




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,035
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I think we're getting a little carried away with this theme. In 2011 our #3 WR caught 4 balls (8 total if you count both Evans and Williams,) but in 2010 our #3 WR (Houshmandzadeh) caught 30. Those 30 receptions were moved essentially from our #3 WR to our #2 TE from 2010 to 2011.

    That makes sense, because for most of 2011 our #2 TE was a much, much better target than our #3 WR (mostly because we didn't HAVE a #3 WR due to injury.) It makes even more sense when you consider that Pitta spent a sizable portion of time literally lined up as a WR, so what's the difference between our #2 TE and our #3 WR? Essentially nothing.

    We prioritize our 3rd receiver (whether that's a WR or TE) less than other teams, but there is still room on this team for that player. It might be Pitta or it might be a different player entirely. It will really be a function of simply putting the best pass-catchers on the field, whether that's in a 2TE or 3WR formation. Frankly, I think we're better served just using Pitta as our starting TE, relegating Dickson to the bench, and going with 3 WRs in a passing set. That's what we did in 2010 (except Heap at TE instead of Pitta of course.) I just don't think we got enough receiving ability out of the 2TE formation last year.
    So does it really matter who 3rd WR is then? Jones or Doss are not going to make this a 3 WR offense. It's still mostly going to be 2 TE as long as they have issues with protecting Flacco. I realize that neither Pitta nor Dickson are very good at blocking but they still offer more than any 3rd WR.

    If they can get the ball out quicker maybe there will be a shift but unless that happens the 3rd WR has more value as injury protection against Boldin and Smith than as a 3rd WR offensive option.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  10. #25

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by TtlPkg17 View Post
    Well I can say I am with Bleed in the case that I like Laquan. There is just something about the kid. He is a scrapper, a underdog, and never quits. He is the one I am hoping will shine the most and see the most reps. But I would be lying if I tried to say with any certainty who I thouhgt was gonna be in that spot on the depth chart. I am still a little confused by the Jones pickup. I understand the need for ST. The only thing I can think of is veteran depth and veteran competition at WR. So he does fill two roles on this team. Hell, I have no clue what they are gonna do. LOL Guess we will just have to see how camp plays out.
    Same here. Likes me some Laquan. My kids went/go to Poly, so some of it is Poly Pride
    (deep inside). The Jones signing is as much about ST (specifically KR) as it is about a second veteran presence @ WR after Boldin. Don't forget that Laquan played well on ST as a tackler and was sampled @ KR as well. But as for the OP's question, Jones' experience rules until proven otherwise. He'll both help school and push the youngbloods.




  11. #26

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    So does it really matter who 3rd WR is then? Jones or Doss are not going to make this a 3 WR offense. It's still mostly going to be 2 TE as long as they have issues with protecting Flacco. I realize that neither Pitta nor Dickson are very good at blocking but they still offer more than any 3rd WR.

    If they can get the ball out quicker maybe there will be a shift but unless that happens the 3rd WR has more value as injury protection against Boldin and Smith than as a 3rd WR offensive option.
    This ALREADY WAS a 3 WR offense a lot of the time when Pitta was on the field--he split out wide like 70% of the time he was on the field. Again, they were putting Pitta on the field because he was the best pass catcher available after the 2 starting WRs, starting TE, and starting RB. If that player would have been a WR--like it was in 2010--they would have run 3 WRs.

    I don't see the relevance to pass protection considering that whether you run 3 WRs and 1 TE or 2 WRs and 2 TEs you're not going to keep more than 1 TE in to pass block. If you run 2 TEs you're doing that so you can send at least one of them out into a pass route, not to keep them both in to pass block. That's not something I observed us doing at all last year. There's just no relevance to pass blocking in this discussion.




  12. #27

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    So does it really matter who 3rd WR is then? Jones or Doss are not going to make this a 3 WR offense. It's still mostly going to be 2 TE as long as they have issues with protecting Flacco. I realize that neither Pitta nor Dickson are very good at blocking but they still offer more than any 3rd WR.

    If they can get the ball out quicker maybe there will be a shift but unless that happens the 3rd WR has more value as injury protection against Boldin and Smith than as a 3rd WR offensive option.
    It will give them More Formations they are confident with and therefore more ability to matchup and find a weakness against an opposing defense.

    Not a bad thing to have the ability to go 4 wides, Ace, Power-I, etc. And one other thing a legit or at least a big and fast 3rd Wr does is it helps the Ravens beat the type of press-man that has stifled their offense for 4 years running




  13. Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    It will have to be Jacoby Jones. Jones took Lee Evans spot. We just need speed on the outside and let Pitta, Dickson, Boldin, Rice work the middle of the field. Doss is like Boldin (Possesion WR). He will get some playing time this year but only in certain situtaions. Hopefully more in the redzone because he has legit hands.




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,035
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This ALREADY WAS a 3 WR offense a lot of the time when Pitta was on the field--he split out wide like 70% of the time he was on the field. Again, they were putting Pitta on the field because he was the best pass catcher available after the 2 starting WRs, starting TE, and starting RB. If that player would have been a WR--like it was in 2010--they would have run 3 WRs.

    I don't see the relevance to pass protection considering that whether you run 3 WRs and 1 TE or 2 WRs and 2 TEs you're not going to keep more than 1 TE in to pass block. If you run 2 TEs you're doing that so you can send at least one of them out into a pass route, not to keep them both in to pass block. That's not something I observed us doing at all last year. There's just no relevance to pass blocking in this discussion.
    2 TE gives you the ability to pass block on either side depending on the read.

    They didn't trade for Lee Evans thinking that Pitta was a better pass catcher
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  15. #30

    Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm going with Doss, but in reality the #3 receiver is going to be either Pitta, Dickson, or Ray Rice. Cam doesn't use 3+ WR sets. He'll split TE's out wide...but that's about the extent of it.

    The reason I say Doss is because he'll have a leg up over Jacoby Jones regarding the playbook & little things like that.
    Coming from Houston with Kubiak or almost any team team for that matter, it would take a veteran like Jones a few days to digest a Cameron playbook. It's not not like he is the Qb. Plus both teams use same blocking scheme. As far as 3rd WR
    It might be Doss over Boldin. Boldin for cap reasons, inability to beat man covrage and speed concerns might be this years Heap. Could happen.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland