View Poll Results: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • L.Williams

3 6.82%
  • Tandon Doss

15 34.09%
  • Tommy Streeter

1 2.27%
  • Jacoby Jones

24 54.55%
  • Other.

1 2.27%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I understand...and I like to see hard workers rewarded too. And considering his extreme...extreme lack of any production at the college level and the fact that he didn't get an invite to camp til late, I think he has been and will continue to be rewarded with a nice career if he continues to work hard and do a good job on special teams.

I definitely think he should make the team this year again...

Come on...we all project guys based on what we have seen. In fact, that is what this very thread is about.

Based on not only a lack of production in the NFL but virtually not contributing at all in college just doesn't bode well for his chances of being a quality WR. He doesn't have any special physical features either.

And like I just said, I dig the hard working/underdog/chip on their shoulder stories...I love the fact that he has worked hard AND that he is a kid that grew up here loving the Ravens and that this is a dream come true to him.

I just don't see 3rd WR skillset. It takes more than the underdog/hard working stuff the vast majority of the time.

That being said, I think he can be a hell of a special teams guy and there is nothing wrong with being a David Tyree type of guy/career.
    I just dont know how you can proclaim a guy the next David Tyree... He has talent, the least you can do is let it play out. Not sure that's too much to ask. I think he could be a good player.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

Quote Originally Posted by mfdoom42 View Post
    I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I don't think LaQuan Williams looked to be anywhere near the caliber of receiver as Tandon Doss last season. The only reason LaQuan was chosen over Doss for the active roster was special teams play. LaQuan Williams is an above-average special teamer, and from what we all hear a great teammate and hard-worker, but he isn't now and probably won't ever be even an average WR.

I love his work ethic and the way he handles himself publicly, as well, and I agree with your assessment that he is the kind of guy you pull for to do well. The thing I don't agree with is saying he looked dynamic at times. I've watched him since he was a Terp, and for all of the good things he does, being a dynamic playmaker is not one of them. He has a stiff stride, isn't a great leaper, isn't overly strong or physical, isn't super quick or agile, can't break many tackles, and has slightly above-average hands. I don't recall ever seeing him make a "wow" play. He can make tough catches in traffic and is good at picking the right hole on returns, but neither of those attributes make him dynamic to me.
    Yeah, I watched virtually every Terps game since 98 and the only time I remember Laquan doing anything not on special teams was that beautiful layout catch at Rutgers his freshman year. He did virtually nothing in 4 years since at UMD.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    I just dont know how you can proclaim a guy the next David Tyree... He has talent, the least you can do is let it play out. Not sure that's too much to ask. I think he could be a good player.
    I've watched every one of his snaps since 2006. I don't see it.

BTW...what the hell is wrong with being a good special teams guy like Tyree? Tyree was able to step in when needed at WR and made one of the iconic catches in NFL history in addition to being a hell of a special teams guy.

It's not like I want the guy cut...IMHO, he should be a lock for the team.

Going strictly by number of catches over the last couple of years, I would have to say our number 3 receive will *technically* be Torrey Smith because Ray Rice and Boldin will have the most catches. Therefore, I said "Other."

Blog Entries

I'm going with Doss, but in reality the #3 receiver is going to be either Pitta, Dickson, or Ray Rice. Cam doesn't use 3+ WR sets. He'll split TE's out wide...but that's about the extent of it.

The reason I say Doss is because he'll have a leg up over Jacoby Jones regarding the playbook & little things like that.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm going with Doss, but in reality the #3 receiver is going to be either Pitta, Dickson, or Ray Rice. Cam doesn't use 3+ WR sets. He'll split TE's out wide...but that's about the extent of it.

The reason I say Doss is because he'll have a leg up over Jacoby Jones regarding the playbook & little things like that.
    So cam Like two TE set over 3 wr? Based on what 2011?
    So 2011 was a typical Cam season unlike 2008, 2009 and 2010?

I believe Cam is trying to get the best personel on the field, nothing else.. If Evans have had a typical Evans season I guess our offense had been another beast last year.

Btw I take Doss as well, he is unmarked territory though.
    I guess 3, 4, 5 and a possible sixth spot is pretty much open for competion.

Blog Entries

I'm not saying Jones is going to become a dangerous #1 receiver for us, but none of expected much from Pollard, and I know quite a few people who complained about the signing. In 2011 he had a very solid season, and was a pro bowl alternative I believe? I think Jacoby at least gets that #3 receiving position, and at least compliments Boldin and Smith going deep, maybe the system here will suit him much better.

Blog Entries

They wouldn't have signed Jones to the deal they did if they didn't intend for him to play a role on offense as well as a PR/KR guy. So I'm going to say it's going to be him. Plus, he just fits what they want outside in the 3WR sets more than anybody else on the roster. Another big, fast guy to play outside with Boldin in the slot.

9. Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I'm not saying Jones is going to become a dangerous #1 receiver for us, but none of expected much from Pollard, and I know quite a few people who complained about the signing. In 2011 he had a very solid season, and was a pro bowl alternative I believe? I think Jacoby at least gets that #3 receiving position, and at least compliments Boldin and Smith going deep, maybe the system here will suit him much better.
    How does Pollard relate to Jones? Two totally different players two totally different positions.. For every pollard you bring up i can bring up 10 signings that didn't work out. The obvious from last year Lee Evans. Just saying i dont know your rationale in saying Pollard translates to Jones working out. I dont see it.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Blog Entries

The #3 receiver last season caught 4 balls. It probably doesn't even matter who the #3 is because they aren't really part of Cam's offense.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The #3 receiver last season caught 4 balls. It probably doesn't even matter who the #3 is because they aren't really part of Cam's offense.
    I think we're getting a little carried away with this theme. In 2011 our #3 WR caught 4 balls (8 total if you count both Evans and Williams,) but in 2010 our #3 WR (Houshmandzadeh) caught 30. Those 30 receptions were moved essentially from our #3 WR to our #2 TE from 2010 to 2011.

That makes sense, because for most of 2011 our #2 TE was a much, much better target than our #3 WR (mostly because we didn't HAVE a #3 WR due to injury.) It makes even more sense when you consider that Pitta spent a sizable portion of time literally lined up as a WR, so what's the difference between our #2 TE and our #3 WR? Essentially nothing.

We prioritize our 3rd receiver (whether that's a WR or TE) less than other teams, but there is still room on this team for that player. It might be Pitta or it might be a different player entirely. It will really be a function of simply putting the best pass-catchers on the field, whether that's in a 2TE or 3WR formation. Frankly, I think we're better served just using Pitta as our starting TE, relegating Dickson to the bench, and going with 3 WRs in a passing set. That's what we did in 2010 (except Heap at TE instead of Pitta of course.) I just don't think we got enough receiving ability out of the 2TE formation last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I think we're getting a little carried away with this theme. In 2011 our #3 WR caught 4 balls (8 total if you count both Evans and Williams,) but in 2010 our #3 WR (Houshmandzadeh) caught 30. Those 30 receptions were moved essentially from our #3 WR to our #2 TE from 2010 to 2011.

That makes sense, because for most of 2011 our #2 TE was a much, much better target than our #3 WR (mostly because we didn't HAVE a #3 WR due to injury.) It makes even more sense when you consider that Pitta spent a sizable portion of time literally lined up as a WR, so what's the difference between our #2 TE and our #3 WR? Essentially nothing.

We prioritize our 3rd receiver (whether that's a WR or TE) less than other teams, but there is still room on this team for that player. It might be Pitta or it might be a different player entirely. It will really be a function of simply putting the best pass-catchers on the field, whether that's in a 2TE or 3WR formation. Frankly, I think we're better served just using Pitta as our starting TE, relegating Dickson to the bench, and going with 3 WRs in a passing set. That's what we did in 2010 (except Heap at TE instead of Pitta of course.) I just don't think we got enough receiving ability out of the 2TE formation last year.
    So does it really matter who 3rd WR is then? Jones or Doss are not going to make this a 3 WR offense. It's still mostly going to be 2 TE as long as they have issues with protecting Flacco. I realize that neither Pitta nor Dickson are very good at blocking but they still offer more than any 3rd WR.

If they can get the ball out quicker maybe there will be a shift but unless that happens the 3rd WR has more value as injury protection against Boldin and Smith than as a 3rd WR offensive option.