View Poll Results: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • L.Williams

3 6.82%
  • Tandon Doss

15 34.09%
  • Tommy Streeter

1 2.27%
  • Jacoby Jones

24 54.55%
  • Other.

1 2.27%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Coming from Houston with Kubiak or almost any team team for that matter, it would take a veteran like Jones a few days to digest a Cameron playbook. It's not not like he is the Qb. Plus both teams use same blocking scheme. As far as 3rd WR
    It might be Doss over Boldin. Boldin for cap reasons, inability to beat man covrage and speed concerns might be this years Heap. Could happen.

Boldin is not getting cut. He will play out his contract. You dont cut Boldin unless you have guys that can replace him. So if Doss, Jones, Williams, Streeter cant step up to be a legit #2 WR than your better off keeping Boldin. Torrey Smith is a #2 WR at best so far in his career, so if Smith can improve and maybe turn into a #1WR than maybe that will open up the door for the other WR's on the team. But i doubt he will be cut. Dont cut a guy if you dont have a replacement for him.

Jones wont have a problem learning the playbook. He just has to learn the language. When it get down to his actual plays all he will run are go routes, post routes, maybe some deep crosses, and blocking on run plays....maybe a couple of WR screens too. Thats it. Cam offense aint complicated.

Re: Who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    Going into Mini camp and training camp, and with the recent addition of Jacoby Jones, formerly of the Houston Texans. The 2 players we had last season in L.Williams, and Tandon Doss, combined with our draft pick Tommy Streeter. I know we have the whole Suggs issue to deal with, but IMO the most intriguing question going into the 2012 NFL season is who will be the #3 receiver come week 1?

My money is on Laquan Williams. I truly believe in this kid, he showed some playmaking ability last season, more than any other guy in that competition. He showed flashes of being capable of being a solid NFL receiver.

I will say this though, if they can somehow tap into Tommy Streeter's ability, and get him to be half as good as he could possibly be, he is definitely a sleeper, but i wouldn't' hold my breath.
    so Williams the UDFA that barely played in college is going to be the next great WR, but the 6th round athletic freak that actually played WR in college is just a pipe dream? Not sure i understand that opinion or what is driving it, especially since Williams didnt show too much and Streeter hasnt even practiced yet. As a WR we havent seen enough of williams to project him as much more than filler. Id love Streeter to step up and be what he could be, but i doubt that happens this year, if ever, as well.

to me its basically a two horse race, Doss and Jones. I dont think Jones is much of a WR, but having another vertical threat would open things up, much like some of us wanted with a rookie field stretching WR (Hill, Streeter, etc), so I could see the value of having Jones out there even if he isnt producing. However, I feel Doss and his sticky hands are set for a big season. "we need WRs that can catch" and Doss if anything is a WR that can certainly catch. I think hes going to play the slot and maybe surprise some people with his ability to play outside as well.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 05-09-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

How does Pollard relate to Jones? Two totally different players two totally different positions.. For every pollard you bring up i can bring up 10 signings that didn't work out. The obvious from last year Lee Evans. Just saying i dont know your rationale in saying Pollard translates to Jones working out. I dont see it.
    Uhm, so for a player to play surprisingly well if signed, he has to be the same exact position as him to compare them? What I'm saying is, a lot of people thought Pollard was just a depth signing to back Zibby up. I'm in no way predicting that Jacoby is going to be as effective as what Pollard was for our team, infact I really don't expect much from him, but it also wouldn't totally surprise me if he came in and became a very effective #3 receiver for us. And yes, all teams make signings that don't work out, but there is always the chance of a guy playing better in a different scenery, in a system better suited for him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    Same here. Likes me some Laquan. My kids went/go to Poly, so some of it is Poly Pride
    (deep inside). The Jones signing is as much about ST (specifically KR) as it is about a second veteran presence @ WR after Boldin. Don't forget that Laquan played well on ST as a tackler and was sampled @ KR as well. But as for the OP's question, Jones' experience rules until proven otherwise. He'll both help school and push the youngbloods.
    Laquan is a nice story and will likely make his living as a ST in the NFL. Fact is as nice a story is he is the guy dropped more balls than he caught. Williams is a nice guy to have on special teams who can happen to run out there in a pinch and run some routes maybe make a catch or two.

Jones is no great shakes as a receiver but one thing he can do that we were sorely lacking last year on the outside opposite Torrey is get separation. More importantly he gives you the ability to take Boldin and let him play in the spot were he is likely to be most effective (the slot). As far as Cam not utilizing a 3rd receiver, lets get real here, how often as a offensive coordinator are you gonna call plays for guys who demonstrate an inability to get separation? Point being its hard to criticize a guy for not using a 3rd WR who does not match up talent or ability wise to what a 3rd WR should be. Add his ability as a KR and Jones is a decent signing for this team IMO. Nothing to dance and party about, but still a guy who provides an upgrade to the production they got at the roles he will fill
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I would like to say Williams. But I'm thinking he is a ST stud with Jones.
    So I'm going Doss. With an outside possibility of Streeter

Blog Entries

The reality is that the competition will be between Jacoby and Doss.

Streeter will likely not see the field much this year at all. You know how the Ravens hate playing rookies unless they're forced to.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The reality is that the competition will be between Jacoby and Doss.

Streeter will likely not see the field much this year at all. You know how the Ravens hate playing rookies unless they're forced to.
    I think you're selling LaQuan Williams short. The staff trusted him enough to have him on the field for that final drive at Pitt, and Flacco trusted him enough to throw balls his way on that drive. I think there'll be a 3 player battle for the 3rd spot, and I'd like Doss or Jones to come out on top because I think that they have higher upside than Williams. That being said, I expect Jones and Williams to get the bulk of the reps in the preseason. Doss, IMO has to show marked improvement to be in the conversation.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1jfkuh

Blog Entries

I just don't get the love affection for LaQuan Williams, I like him and everything, and yeah it is a good story. But comon, he isn't a #3 receiver in this league, a solid ST teams player yes, but there was a reason he went undrafted.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Uhm, so for a player to play surprisingly well if signed, he has to be the same exact position as him to compare them? What I'm saying is, a lot of people thought Pollard was just a depth signing to back Zibby up. I'm in no way predicting that Jacoby is going to be as effective as what Pollard was for our team, infact I really don't expect much from him, but it also wouldn't totally surprise me if he came in and became a very effective #3 receiver for us. And yes, all teams make signings that don't work out, but there is always the chance of a guy playing better in a different scenery, in a system better suited for him.
    It still doesn't' correlate. Just becuase Pollard works out doesn't mean Jones will work out. Just cross your fingers, and hope he can help out on special teams or something.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Blog Entries

It still doesn't' correlate. Just becuase Pollard works out doesn't mean Jones will work out. Just cross your fingers, and hope he can help out on special teams or something.
    Trust me, I'm crossing my fingers tight, very tight.