Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens sign Jacoby Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Laquan Williams proved that he can be a #3 WR? Because Doss did well in the preseason that means that he can do it (I don't want to discount the preseason, but the preseason is a graveyard of players who play well against guys that will be driving beer trucks after cutdown day...remember Nate Bolling...Demetrius Williams?)?

Look, I get that he isn't a good WR...but I think the "well, we don't let any WR's develop" argument is bull...and precisely why we are constantly in need of WR's. One would think that if we are just holding back talented players, those castoffs would catch on somewhere else at least be competent with another team.

Laquan Williams has not shown anything, Tandon Doss has not shown anything, Tommy Streeter has not shown anything and David Reed has not shown anything (other being a solid KR who is coming off a significant knee injury and may not be the same guy).

It's baffling to me when we have to rely on any other unproven guy at just about any other position, people are so hesitant to put trust in the replacement, but at WR, it's always "well we didn't let so and so develop".

And let's not forget that there are no other proven KR/PR on this roster that we don't want to expose to injury...David Reed is not a sure thing to be what he was...especially after year one of the torn ACL...remember Ladarius took 2 years to get back to where he was.

Give it a chance...
    Agreed. He's here to return kicks (so Ladarius doesn't have to) and to compete for the 3rd WR spot. None of the other WRs have proven a thing, so there's no reason to not bring in competition. If he proves to be better and wins the 3rd WR spot, then the team is better off. If he doesn't, then he's still an upgrade over what is currently on the team at KR.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I am sure that during the playoff game after he fumbled that punt I wrote in the game thread the Ravens are going to have to sign the guy when he gets cut over this just as a thanks for the huge gift. At the time though i was kidding even though it did seem quite possible. The diffenece now though is I am glad to see it happen. I was all for giving Lee Evans another chance. Guys who miss that game winner in a big situation are not usually damaged goods IMO. Every once in a while you get a guy like Nick Anderson or whoever it was on Orlando with Shaq and Penny who choked the free throws that cost them a chance at a ring and then was suddenly a 40% free throw shooter even though his 3point percentage was higher than that. but on the other end of the spectrum you have guys like Jordan who missed plenty of game winners before it seemed like he would never miss another. Basically I just want to see what a guy with talent and that kind of motivation does with another opportunity to make a big play in a big game, not saying Jones will pull an MJ. I do think he can provide a lift and big plays to the return and WR game, maybe even be the guy who makes the big play of the year.

:T2:

Here's a good thought experiment that will remind us why we are on a message board. I know many (myself included) were pumped about "stealing" Lee Evans for "only" a 4th round pick last year...Legit deep threat, proven talent, etc. And we all know how that worked out. For me, he's another deep threat who caught 50 balls 2 years ago, and caught about 10x as many as every Ravens WR combined after Boldin and Smith. And he's a returner which they desperately need.

As for the money issue, that's what Wide Receivers cost. Robert Meachem got $25 mil over 4 years. Eddie Royal got 3 years for $13.5 mil.

I really did want to see Doss and Williams step up so immediately I didn't like this move. I think this goes back to the original problem with the offence. You can debate me on this all you want, but for the personnel on this team Cam's offence doesn't work. I would love to see 4 WR sets, spread the offence, have RR in shotgun with Flacco, his running/catching ability, especially with the defence spread would be just insane. Especially in a 4 set with Doss and Boldin being possession guys and Smith and Jones being speed deep threats, a 4 WR set would be incredible.

I know this is off topic but this just bugs me. Cam's offence doesn't work and it's the reason (IMO) we will not win the super bowl this year. Call me pessimistic, but I just can't see us getting over the hump with the way this offence is ran.

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    I really did want to see Doss and Williams step up so immediately I didn't like this move. I think this goes back to the original problem with the offence. You can debate me on this all you want, but for the personnel on this team Cam's offence doesn't work. I would love to see 4 WR sets, spread the offence, have RR in shotgun with Flacco, his running/catching ability, especially with the defence spread would be just insane. Especially in a 4 set with Doss and Boldin being possession guys and Smith and Jones being speed deep threats, a 4 WR set would be incredible.
    I think it's hard to judge based on last year what Cameron will do with two WR's with deep speed. Evans really wasn't healthy all year, and at 30, it seemed like he lost a step besides. And beyond Evans, they rotated what Kelly Washington and a washed up Housh the two years before at their 3rd WR spot. Never thought I would be defending Cam, but maybe it wasn't so much Cam's offense but the dearth of WR talent on the roster.

I'm all for giving the young WR's a chance, but we were all loving up David Reed 2 years ago as we are today with Doss and Williams, but now we are saying Reed needs to go. Bottom line is if LaQuan Williams can't beat out Jacoby Jones, then he isn't much of a player.

Quote Originally Posted by mfdoom42 View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority but I love this move. I've been a Jacoby Jones fan for about 3 years now, although I no longer think he will make the jump to stardom I was hoping for after his strong run at the end of 2009. He's still an excellent return man who can be an occasional deep threat in 3-WR sets, plus his athleticism allows for some creativity (i.e. gadget plays) if they decide to go down that road again.
    +1

Can't believe so many people are getting worked up over this signing. It's not like he's TO people, lol.

The Ravens return game has been garbage, and Zibby is gone now also. I think people will wind up happy once they see what Jones can do .

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    They didnt get any snaps because there are none to be had. Cam Camerons pathetic excuse of an offense has next to zero 3 WR sets.

Dickson didnt develop, because he showed no signs of improvement.

Pitta didnt develop, because he never showed signs of being a bad receiving TE. Hes always been good since he entered the league.

The only way a receiver can develop is by getting on the field. There are zero opportunities for LQuan(who, by the way, showed great signs of being a good receiver this year when he got on the field)or TDoss to develop.

Doss looked awesome in the pre-season and then he got what, 5 snaps all year long?

Eric DeCosta stated in an interview last week that we would not pursue anymore WR's because they are confident in our young WR's.... right. Thats what we should have done.

There are some mindnumbing inaccuracies in this post.

1)Pitta went from 1 receiving yard as a rookie to 405 as a 2nd year player, but that's showing no signs of improvement??? Also, how does ONE receiving yard as a rookie make you "good since he entered the league".

2) What games were you watching when you saw LaQuan "great signs of being a good receiver" Williams? He had four catches and nine drops last year. In fact, I believe he went through a stretch over a handful of games---in and around his awful game in Jacksonville---where he had six drops between catches. I like him as a player and I think he has value on special teams, but let's not get carried away. The only reason he ever saw the field on offense last year was because Evans was hurt and Doss couldn't play special teams.

I like the move. People are remembering the fumbles in the playoff game, but Jones is big and fast. He averaged nearly 17 yards a catch.
    We all fall in love with draft picks but we will need to have a better return game and offense this year and I think this move helps both. To count on Streeter this year is asking a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Laquan Williams proved that he can be a #3 WR? Because Doss did well in the preseason that means that he can do it (I don't want to discount the preseason, but the preseason is a graveyard of players who play well against guys that will be driving beer trucks after cutdown day...remember Nate Bolling...Demetrius Williams?)?

Look, I get that he isn't a good WR...but I think the "well, we don't let any WR's develop" argument is bull...and precisely why we are constantly in need of WR's. One would think that if we are just holding back talented players, those castoffs would catch on somewhere else at least be competent with another team.

Laquan Williams has not shown anything, Tandon Doss has not shown anything, Tommy Streeter has not shown anything
    and David Reed has not shown anything (other being a solid KR who is coming off a significant knee injury and may not be the same guy).

It's baffling to me when we have to rely on any other
    unproven guy at just about any other position, people are so hesitant to put trust in the replacement, but at WR, it's always "well we didn't let so and so develop".

And let's not forget that there are no other proven KR/PR on this roster that we don't want to expose to injury...David Reed is not a sure thing to be what he was...especially after year one of the torn ACL...remember Ladarius took 2 years to get back to where he was.

Give it a chance...
    Like it said in the OTHER Jones thread. The young guys are not proven at all and have to earn their stripes, plus we need a return man period. Their is no guarantee that Jones will be #3. But don't be completely taken off guard if something doesn't happen with Boldin either. He ain't all that
    to slow and getting slower on the outside and doesn't get the YAC anymore and his hands aren't the greatest. Move makes it possible to do something with him or his contract, he's basically a little TE. Changing Boldins contract or moving him could free up space for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Agreed. He's here to return kicks (so Ladarius doesn't have to) and to compete for the 3rd WR spot. None of the other WRs have proven a thing, so there's no reason to not bring in competition. If he proves to be better and wins the 3rd WR spot, then the team is better off. If he doesn't, then he's still an upgrade over what is currently on the team at KR.
    Pretty much what I said on the other Jones thread. I like this move alot. He gives a deep threat option, too. Plus, in watching what Boldin does now, I think you could get almost the same possession WR output from Doss, cheaper with more speed and better hands.

Blog Entries

Where the hell are we getting all this money from lol. I know they are cheap players, but we signed two Dlinemen along with this.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    2) What games were you watching when you saw LaQuan "great signs of being a good receiver" Williams? He had four catches and nine drops last year. In fact, I believe he went through a stretch over a handful of games---in and around his awful game in Jacksonville---where he had six drops between catches. I like him as a player and I think he has value on special teams, but let's not get carried away. The only reason he ever saw the field on offense last year was because Evans was hurt and Doss couldn't play special teams.
    Dude...I'm right with you on Laquan. People keep bringing him up as a legit potential NFL WR, and I've seen absolutely nothing other than running around in secondaries manned by guys that had to get real jobs after cut down day.

It's not bashing Quan, as I think he is and can be a hell of a special teams guy and deserves a spot on the team, but the guy has not produced at all as a WR...even since college.