Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens sign Jacoby Jones

I don't have an opinion on this signing, I think as fans we do have a right to express opinions on a signing but just like with Torrey last year after pre-season, i want to wait until the regular season before I give an opinion on Jacoby Jones. Hopefully he's worth the 7 mill over 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Yeah, Cal Poly is a D-II school. Nobody good ever comes from D-II. I would much rather have Jacoby Jones return punts because he went to Lane College. Ooops, that's D-II as well.
    I don't mind that he is from Cal Poly to ask him to return punts in particular as a ROOKIE is the issue. Maybe a year
    or so later I can see it. From playing in front of a few fans vs Division II to playing Sunday night football fielding punts in a year on national TV in front of 70,000 Steeler fans is quite a leap and huge organizational risk.
    Let him show he belongs first, then in a year after he is acclimated to the NFL game speed and size then give him a shot. I like small school guys, but many failures too, they also usually need more TIME.
    Last edited by Boulderraven; 05-09-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I'm sure Jones will be a fine returner for us this year and possibly even turn in a few catches at #3 WR. Nobody's disputing that he's a serviceable player. He just wasn't worth the money, which is the part you guys are not understanding. It's not simply about Jacoby Jones, it's about what he adds to this roster in comparison to other players we have on the roster we really ought to be making use of.
    Lee Evans cost $1.5 million for 1 year in 2012 as a WR on the wrong side of 30 with 4 catches last year who doesn't return kicks or punts.

So what's the price YOU would have paid for Jones, assuming of course that your you were in tune with the Ravens talent evaluators and thought Jones to be a piece worth adding to the roster (which clearly you aren't but let's assume)

Bear in mind of course that Jones had a 50 catch season 2 years ago (ya know the last year his QB played 16 games) and has caught 11 tds in the last 3 years. 11 TDs more than any receiver on the Ravens roster not named Smith or Boldin I might add. And he's only 27.

What's your fair price?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I don't mind that he is from Cal Poly to ask him to return punts in particular as a ROOKIE is the issue. Maybe a year
    or so later I can see it. From playing in front of a few fans vs Division II to playing Sunday night football fielding punts in a year on national TV in front of 70,000 fans is a quite a leap.
    In year 2 I don't have an issue.
    Kinda like when they had LQ return a couple kicks early last year (jets i think). He looked visibly terrified and it was very easy to see that he wasnt ready. It would be awfully risky (borderline disastrous) to put all your eggs in the basket of a later round draft pick in his rookie season. And i agree they were probably targetting a couple returners in the draft, but Asa wasnt one of them, otherwise they wouldnt have signed jones.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Yeah, Cal Poly is a D-II school. Nobody good ever comes from D-II. I would much rather have Jacoby Jones return punts because he went to Lane College. Ooops, that's D-II as well.
    I dont' really see how that is relevant though. Jacoby Jones and those other guys have proven they could make the jump from D-II to the NFL. Clearly its possible and does happen. But I think the original poster was just commenting that as a general rule, you assume the 5th rounder out of Cal Poly may not be gangbusters out of the gate. It's apples to oranges at this point, Jones is a 5 year vet; Jackson is a rookie 5th rounder...We'll see if Jackson can do what Jones has done.

Their is an old NFL coaching saying "for every rookie you start it will cost you one game" Chuck Knoll among others said this.

Old being the key word, completely different era

In Noll's time a QB and others could well sit for a number of years before being put forward to start
    Now if you a early round pick you are expected to contribute immediately

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    It was pretty obvious that the team was lying about how great the developmental WRs are.
    Eh maybe not. I think they recognize that both Doss and Williams had problems getting separation in a timely manner last year and it was a problem for the offense imo. Williams is more of a special teams guy who can help out periodically at WR. Doss seems more of a slot type guy, he lacks the explosive speed or burst to play outside. Adding Streeter and Jones gives them guys who have that type of speed and burst. It also allows Boldin to slide inside were he will be more effective. I think a lot of guys will get some opportunities and its gonna be fun to see who can produce :)
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Re: 2012 New Nike Ravens jerseys

its going to be great when this whole thread is for nothing and Cam trots out the same tired offense he always has and doesnt even use a 3rd WR. I think somebody else said it, Pitta will be the 3rd "wr". Until Cam gets more imaginative the 3rd WR on this team is mostly a depth position.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

landspeed : Pierce is a stud of a running back(28 TDs last year), a lot of experts had gradkowski graded as one of the best C in the draft and Osemele will be an automatic starter at guard. Absolutely no issues with those picks.

Your argument of needing a veteran presence is just wrong. We had plenty of veteran presence. Lee Evans, once regarded as a top 10 WR in the league, was the one who dropped the pass. A veteran kicker missed the field goal. We have anquan boldin, ray rice, vonta leach, matt birk, etc. That is not an issue.

Also, Jacoby Jones is not a veteran presence. Like I said, yes hes been in the league for 5 years, but has amassed less than 2000 receiving yards and barely over 10 TD's.

At some point, this franchise is going to have to stop being so shitty on offense. Shitty decisions, shitty coaching, shitty approach. THAT is what is holding us back. Signing guys like Jacoby Jones, instead of entrusting our rookies with rolls on offense. Start giving rookie play makers confidence. Torrey Smith is probably the only rookie we have ever done such a thing with... outside of Jamal Lewis(and wouldnt you know, the guy has the 2nd highest single season rushing total in history).

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Bc..with all due respect bro why sign a guy who hasn't done shit receiving the rock when we were one drop pass away? Not to mention jones has muffed some big ones in his career.
    I'm not touting Jones as our savior for 2012. AND I do like giving rookies/young players playing time. While it happened to be very unfortunate that Evans didn't hold onto the ball, he was in position to win the game. IMO that's what Ravens management sees going forward too. A veteran WR, who has 11 TDs to his credit, vs. ZERO for Doss and LQ Wms. Also a kick returner who can leave Webb do what he does best, without putting him in harms way (many of you know that I am against using a blue chip player on Special Teams). I do agree that Jones is over-paid, but that's what it took to get him to become a Raven. I believe Ozzie and Co. knew what they were doing, did not panic, and this will be a positive move in our favor... Bc

Re: 2012 New Nike Ravens jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    its going to be great when this whole thread is for nothing and Cam trots out the same tired offense he always has and doesnt even use a 3rd WR. I think somebody else said it, Pitta will be the 3rd "wr". Until Cam gets more imaginative the 3rd WR on this team is mostly a depth position.
    End arounds to Jacoby Jones along with Boldin and Smith running fade routes are going to be so herp derp.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    landspeed : Pierce is a stud of a running back(28 TDs last year), a lot of experts had gradkowski graded as one of the best C in the draft and Osemele will be an automatic starter at guard. Absolutely no issues with those picks.

Your argument of needing a veteran presence is just wrong. We had plenty of veteran presence. Lee Evans, once regarded as a top 10 WR in the league, was the one who dropped the pass. A veteran kicker missed the field goal. We have anquan boldin, ray rice, vonta leach, matt birk, etc. That is not an issue.

Also, Jacoby Jones is not a veteran presence. Like I said, yes hes been in the league for 5 years, but has amassed less than 2000 receiving yards and barely over 10 TD's.

At some point, this franchise is going to have to stop being so shitty on offense. Shitty decisions, shitty coaching, shitty approach. THAT is what is holding us back. Signing guys like Jacoby Jones, instead of entrusting our rookies with rolls on offense. Start giving rookie play makers confidence. Torrey Smith is probably the only rookie we have ever done such a thing with... outside of Jamal Lewis(and wouldnt you know, the guy has the 2nd highest single season rushing total in history).
    . Bc
    That shitty offense, with it's shitty decisions and shitty coaching went from ranked 22nd in 2010 to 15th in 2011.

How is that possible?

And rookies should be entrusted with nothing or very little, not on a team that has Super Bowl aspirations.

Why? Because these rookies you speak of are all late rounders who will probably do nothing in this league. Yeah let's "entrust" them with something over the 5 or 10 year vet who has already PROVED he can play in this league many times over.