Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens sign Jacoby Jones

HOUSTON - Former Houston Texans receiver Jacoby Jones agrees to a two-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens
    League sources told FOX 26 Sports the contract is worth $7 million.
    Jones, who also visited the Carolina Panthers, was released by the Texans last week.
    Jones' agent, Kennard McGuire, told FOX 26 Sports he could not discuss the specifics of the contract.
    "What I can say to you is part of our thoughts were that we were going to look at procuring a deal that was very similiar in value to what he had coming from the Texans," McGuire said.

McGuire said "approximately 10 teams called" Jones after he cleared waivers.
    "He decided to take his time and really digest what he was doing and found a place that we feel that can really utilize his talents," McGuire said.
    http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...al-with-ravens

2. Re: Ravens sign Jacoby Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Exactly. Doss is a possession guy, LaQuan couldn't play at Maryland, and Reed is hurt, and Streeter? When asked Decosta said they took Streeter because he was highest on their board at the end of the SIXTH round. Has potential for deep balls and size, but might not make the team. Then Boldin a 2# really? Slow as sheet, no longer barrells over DB's, drops important passes and was covered in AFCC by Edelman a midget on the games most important drive! Boldin isn't the Boldin of 4-5 years ago or close. I bet Dickson and Pitta are faster. Boldin to me has been a mild disappointment and isnt getting open or younger. It looks like he is aging faster
    From years of delivering punishment.
    I dont think Boldin is a disappointment. He was a legit #1WR for maybe a year or two in ARZ. So thats why he was paid by the ravens so good. I still say he is a good fit in baltimore but he is no way near worth what he is getting paid. Yes he is more of a TE now but align him with speed on the outside with Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones and let him work the slot position with underneath routes and over the middle would be perfect for him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    I dont think Boldin is a disappointment. He was a legit #1WR for maybe a year or two in ARZ. So thats why he was paid by the ravens so good. I still say he is a good fit in baltimore but he is no way near worth what he is getting paid. Yes he is more of a TE now but align him with speed on the outside with Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones and let him work the slot position with underneath routes and over the middle would be perfect for him.
    He is following the same path Hines Ward did at the end of his career. Slow, strong, mostly reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    Agreed. Sure he wore down as the year went on and then had to get the scope done, but he won them the Arizona game, and was the go-to guy in the 2 minute at Pittsburgh. He obviously not the guy he was but few are after 9 years in the league. If Jones gets Boldin into the slot more, its a good thing. I will still take Boldin over every Nickle corner in the NFL (besides L. Webb of course)

5. Re: Ravens sign Jacoby Jones

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    He is following the same path Hines Ward did at the end of his career. Slow, strong, mostly reliable.

Yea. And the ravens already paid him so we have to use him. He is surrounded by speed so let him work the middle. I hear the term "play like a raven" all the time, i think Boldin qualifies for that. Not to mention a pretty good downfield blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I see the comparison. But Boldin has had some HUGE drops. Plus, he is expensive. 6 million is alot for a slot guy. He is way way way way to slow to play outside. If he remains a Raven he is likely #3. The Patriots coverered him with WR midget Edelman in AfCC game for god sakes, even on the deciding drive.
    Last edited by Boulderraven; 05-09-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Last year I loved the Lee Evans trade. I thought it was exactly what we needed. Obviously I was dead wrong.

I really don't like Jacoby Jones and never have. Hopefully I'm dead wrong again this year
    Ditto.

Honestly though, I think the biggest problem with getting Evans is that he wasn't healthy all season long. Who knows what would have happened had he been able to actually play. There is a silver lining to everything I guess and without Evans getting hurt Torrey's development could have been stunted.

I'm not massively excited about Jacoby Jones. I think he has some value, but I just don't see how he's going to fit into this offense right now. He's going to have to really get a big chip on his shoulder and play a lot tougher out on the field because the Steelers and Bengals are not going to take it easy on him knowing how he plays.

When I watch Jacoby Jones play it reminds me of Ashlie Lelie.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Considering our disaster last year returning kicks, and the only guy we have that can return punts now is worth $50 million, I'd hardly brush off the return aspect. Reed may not play this year (or at least play up to his standards), and all Zibby did last year was kneel in the end zone or get blown up before he got to the 20. Every time.
    The part about getting Webb out of their I fully understand. It's just that I thought we were going with one of the rookies who is supposed to have that ability.

Unless our ST/return setup improves, there's no need to do anything *but* have a guy back there to fair catch. Rarely was there room to run anything back. Hope he can help out, but for the money (and I realize we don't know the true numbers on that yet) I'd have just as well seen us draft or develop a guy.

I can't believe we couldn't just identify and draft a guy to fill that role. Then again with our history with drafting WRs, maybe I can believe that. Still, this guy may get us another yard or two on returns here and there, but he's proven to be unreliable as a WR, so..... I'm back to not getting the move.

9. Re: Ravens sign Jacoby Jones

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Ditto.

Honestly though, I think the biggest problem with getting Evans is that he wasn't healthy all season long. Who knows what would have happened had he been able to actually play. There is a silver lining to everything I guess and without Evans getting hurt Torrey's development could have been stunted.

I'm not massively excited about Jacoby Jones. I think he has some value, but I just don't see how he's going to fit into this offense right now. He's going to have to really get a big chip on his shoulder and play a lot tougher out on the field because the Steelers and Bengals are not going to take it easy on him knowing how he plays.

Lee Evans was not a tough guy at Reciever, he had speed. Jacoby Jones took Lee Evans spot in this offense. He is a younger speed WR that can be explosive on offense. Another deep threat to put on the opposite side of Torrey Smith. I think the Steelers and Begals already know who Jacoby Jones is since they played the Texans and he obviously had to be on their scouting report. Torrey Smith and Jones gives us two young fast explosive WR on the outside. Freeing up the middle for all our other weapons on offense. Doss IMO should be a 3rd down WR or a redzone WR because he has legit hands and runs good routes. Jones fits perfectly with our offense and feels a special team void that has been missing for the past few seasons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    damn good comparison, and thats not exactly a ringing endorsement of jones.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    The part about getting Webb out of their I fully understand. It's just that I thought we were going with one of the rookies who is supposed to have that ability.

Unless our ST/return setup improves, there's no need to do anything *but* have a guy back there to fair catch. Rarely was there room to run anything back. Hope he can help out, but for the money (and I realize we don't know the true numbers on that yet) I'd have just as well seen us draft or develop a guy.

I can't believe we couldn't just identify and draft a guy to fill that role. Then again with our history with drafting WRs, maybe I can believe that. Still, this guy may get us another yard or two on returns here and there, but he's proven to be unreliable as a WR, so..... I'm back to not getting the move.
    I'm 100% sure they intended on doing that. Unfortunately, none fell to them.

They did draft Asa Jackson with intentions of him maybe being a return guy.

And I'm 100% certain that Jones will get us more than just a average of a yard or 2 on returns over Zibby.

watching a bunch of videos of this guy. i realize they are 'highlights' and aren't showing his muffs, but he's not terrible looking. came down with some good balls in coverage and has some nice returns. he's basically a healthier/younger lee evans with return skills. I'm fine with it.