Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Ovie Mughelli Released

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I don't get why they don't use Leach as a pass blocker, but I believe he had more catches than any 3rd WR had in 2011.
    He only caught 15 balls so if that's true it's really sad.

In passing situations you have an extra receiver out there so even if you were to run the ball you don't need a fullback there to lead block. That means if they do see Leach out there in those situations they know he's there to pass block. Part of what makes a good chip is the fact that the free man isn't certain that the back is going to be there. If they know he his they're going to go around him.

That's why some of the really good pass blocking backs like Marshall Faulk or Joseph Addai are not big bruisers. They are agile backs who can move and hit pass rushers in space.

Blog Entries

*Enter Cam bashing thread mode*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He only caught 15 balls so if that's true it's really sad.

In passing situations you have an extra receiver out there so even if you were to run the ball you don't need a fullback there to lead block. That means if they do see Leach out there in those situations they know he's there to pass block. Part of what makes a good chip is the fact that the free man isn't certain that the back is going to be there. If they know he his they're going to go around him.

That's why some of the really good pass blocking backs like Marshall Faulk or Joseph Addai are not big bruisers. They are agile backs who can move and hit pass rushers in space.
    Lee Evans 4 catches for 74 yards.
    LaQuan Williams 4 catches for 46 yards.
    Vonta Leach 15 catches! for 69 yards.
    Ricky Williams 13 catches for 83 yards.

Blog Entries

That is one sorry stat :(

Blog Entries

That's very misleading. We simply didn't use those guys that much. Even being tops among that group he's still 6th on the list when you consider all our pass catchers. I am no expert but 15 catches for your 6th option is about right.

Boldin- 57 for 887
    Smith - 50 for 841
    Dickson- 54 for 528
    Pitta- 40 for 405
    Rice- 76 for 704

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    That's very misleading. We simply didn't use those guys that much. Even being tops among that group he's still 6th on the list when you consider all our pass catchers. I am no expert but 15 catches for your 6th option is about right.

Boldin- 57 for 887
    Smith - 50 for 841
    Dickson- 54 for 528
    Pitta- 40 for 405
    Rice- 76 for 704
    Facts are that most teams use a third WR in this league, hell even the Browns probably did a better job of that. The fact that a lead blocker has more than double receptions is beyond inexcusable to me, and I'm not putting the blame on anyone here, it's just a really sorry statistic as GOTA said.

Blog Entries

Facts are that most teams use a third WR in this league, hell even the Browns probably did a better job of that. The fact that a lead blocker has more than double receptions is beyond inexcusable to me, and I'm not putting the blame on anyone here, it's just a really sorry statistic as GOTA said.
    Most of those team's don't have a running back with the receiving ability of Ray Rice and two viable options at TE. I could see if Leach was the 3rd leading receiver on the team with 15 catches. That would be utterly pathetic. He's the 6th leading receiver though. Which means the Ravens are finding ways to substitute the production of a 3rd wr. If Tandon Doss, Laquan Williams, or Lee Evans are a bigger part of the offense one of those 5 guys that I mentioned earlier is not getting the touches that maybe he should.

The ideal is to be, in the immortal words of Brian Billick, "multiple."

They would like to be able to choose a personal set and be able to run any number of things at you without substituting and tipping off what is coming.

However, one wide-out, two tight ends, a full back, and a tail back can't possibly be as threatening on the back end as a three-receiver set. So it's a conundrum.

One of the criticisms of Cam's offense is that it's so predictable. Even if you substitute a second WR for one of the TE's or the FB, you are not exactly throwing a wide open offense at people. It's hard to run creative routes even with that package on the field. Cam certainly needs to be more creative in this area, but you can understand how committing to Leach limits his ability to be creative.

He might end up in Pittsburgh. The Steelers looking to be a more balanced team with the running game were looking for a FB. Colbert said the draft was really weak in that area.

It seems you forget the fact that Pitta lines up as a 3rd-WR on many occasions.