Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Offense

Re: The Offense

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ross Tucker has been saying since the end of the season that he doesn't understand how Cam keeps his job. He points out that receivers getting separation isn't just about physical skill but also about scheme. We've seen what Boldin is able to do to a defense first hand when he did it to us as a member of the Cardinals. Suddenly Boldin is never open? There is a lot more that could and should be done with this offense.
    The fact that the Ravens made it to the AFC Championship (and about a catch from the Super Bowl) and the fact that there were not many attractive alternatives is why Cam is around this year. I'm pretty sure if Norv Turner was available then Cam would be out of a job right now.

Ross Tucker has been saying since the end of the season that he doesn't understand how Cam keeps his job. He points out that receivers getting separation isn't just about physical skill but also about scheme. We've seen what Boldin is able to do to a defense first hand when he did it to us as a member of the Cardinals. Suddenly Boldin is never open? There is a lot more that could and should be done with this offense.
    You point out Ross Tucker and his comments, but I can bring up Jason La Canfora who says the consensus is Boldin is comparable to a small tight end and struggles to get open due to lack of quickness. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. But it's safe to say he is not the player he was with the Cardinals. Slow receivers don't get quicker with age.

The 3 WR-bunch formation, Ray on the wheel route (and NOT a 3 yard hook), Flacco on the naked boot, rub routes, pick routes...just a few things that could make this offense much more effective.

I like to think that the lock-out was the only thing that kept Cammie in town, but Harbs probably wanted to stick with his guy for a trial season. We went a step further in 2011 (even though Joe's numbers declined), so that earned Cammie another year.

Short of missing the playoffs in 2012, or a woeful, offensive performance coupled with a loss in the WC or DIV round, he'll be back in 2013, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Passing game? No excitement from it....but Bernard Pierce will be interesting for our running game. Hopefully he and Rice are a formidable duo and Flacco can take some deep shots off of bootlegs and olayfakes.
    I know it was an unintentional misspell but i think you may have hit on something. ;)

Recievers won't matter if we have a line that just yells "Olay!" when the pass rush goes by them. :)

They made improvements where they could with the players and cap space available.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    You point out Ross Tucker and his comments, but I can bring up Jason La Canfora who says the consensus is Boldin is comparable to a small tight end and struggles to get open due to lack of quickness. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. But it's safe to say he is not the player he was with the Cardinals. Slow receivers don't get quicker with age.
    There are still ways to get him open. All these big tight ends we see catching the balls around the league don't have Torrey Smith speed. Other teams do things to get at least in favorable matchups. I'm not saying that Boldin is ever going to be fast but there is still more that can be done with him. They had to give up draft picks and significant money for this guy. I can't believe there was no plan of what to do with him when they made that decision. You would think there would at least be an idea.

We didn't see any attempt in free agency to add a starting WR so they must be comfortable with who is on the roster now. I'm just hoping that last season made them realize that things have to change. Hopefully Caldwell works on Flacco leaving Cam to have the time to focus on fixing this offense if he even knows how to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    The fact that the Ravens made it to the AFC Championship (and about a catch from the Super Bowl) and the fact that there were not many attractive alternatives is why Cam is around this year. I'm pretty sure if Norv Turner was available then Cam would be out of a job right now.
    True, but how much of that run had to do with the presence of a top 5 defense?

Blog Entries

There are still ways to get him open. All these big tight ends we see catching the balls around the league don't have Torrey Smith speed. Other teams do things to get at least in favorable matchups. I'm not saying that Boldin is ever going to be fast but there is still more that can be done with him. They had to give up draft picks and significant money for this guy. I can't believe there was no plan of what to do with him when they made that decision. You would think there would at least be an idea.

We didn't see any attempt in free agency to add a starting WR so they must be comfortable with who is on the roster now. I'm just hoping that last season made them realize that things have to change. Hopefully Caldwell works on Flacco leaving Cam to have the time to focus on fixing this offense if he even knows how to.
    I subscribe to the theory that they are risk averse, not only as a coaching staff, but as an organization. As far as what happened with Boldin, that was just poor planning. Back to Ozzie and Co., they believe running the ball, playing good defense, avoiding turnovers and letting the defense hold the lead in the fourth quarter will bring success. So far it has, although once the level in talent and coaching acumen increases, they are not as consistent winning games. That's why the upcoming season will be so revealing. They will face every top quarterback there is, with the exception of Stafford and Brees which means they will have to be more consistent on offense. Will they be? Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    True, but how much of that run had to do with the presence of a top 5 defense?
    See, that's where many on this board don't get it. They say that we were a dropped pass away from the super bowl, so Cam must be doing a great job. Of course, the reality is that the way our defense played, it should have never come down to that one play. We should have beaten New England easily. We made a bottom five defense look like a top five defense. Its a real shame that the Ravens have one of the most talented teams and should have probably won a ring by now, but will continue to let coaching stand in the way of greatness.

Do you really think that Cam will allow that? Its going to be Zorn all over again. This is Cam's offense and no one's going to mess with it.

The OFFENSE= boring and lacks creativity. Very hard to watch and stomach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    See, that's where many on this board don't get it. They say that we were a dropped pass away from the super bowl, so Cam must be doing a great job. Of course, the reality is that the way our defense played, it should have never come down to that one play. We should have beaten New England easily. We made a bottom five defense look like a top five defense. Its a real shame that the Ravens have one of the most talented teams and should have probably won a ring by now, but will continue to let coaching stand in the way of greatness.
    While I agree that our offense should have been more effective in 2011, it is true that we really were a dropped pass away from a Super bowl appearance. Are you disputing that fact? Anyway, the Ravens defense (as strong as it was) still wasn't up to the 2000/01 version standards. I'm not trying to defend Cam (I think he should be gone), but let's not lay the entire blame on his shoulders... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    Both are correct. Boldin is a small TE as been stated by many posters. Scheme dates back to 1967.