Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Re: OT - How bout dem O's hon!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Llamablaster View Post
    Honestly, if Josh Hamilton doesn't turn into Superman the Texas series might have been a LOT different.

I know you can't really do this, but we just took 2 from the Royals at home right after they swept Texas in Arlington.

Not that I think we're actually better than Texas... just that I don't know that it's as bad is at seemed from the series we played against them.
    Well, they have gone 3-4 in the week since they played us, and are 8-9 in the month of May (O's for comparison: 5-2, 11-5). So they've definitely cooled off. They're only a game behind us in the AL mostly as a result of an exceptionally good April.

We had come off a weekend series in Boston with games of 13 innings and 17 innings. So that explains our inability to really try to win the first game when Matusz had a crap start. Then again, they did cause him to have a crap start by being very good...

Game 2, hell, if I'd been there, it's probably more memorable to witness the first 4-homer game in nearly a decade than to see your team win. I didn't watch this one on TV because I was put off by the first game. When I checked to see what had happened after it was over and saw the headline to the story, my reaction was pretty much "Gee whiz, well, ok."

So if we explain away the first two games then we got a split doubleheader, although one where our shutdown closer had a four-run lead that became a one-run lead (the homer he gave up is his only run given up of the season! - the two baserunners were put on 2nd and 3rd with no outs by Ayala). Then in the second a manageable game goes to shit when a reliever gives up 3 extra runs then heads to the DL.

It's interesting to compare the two teams because we picked up three pretty important players from them last year for basically nothing:
    Three key members of Baltimore's resurgence — Davis, Strop, and O'Day (along with Hunter, who has a 5.14 ERA, but at least he's given the Orioles innings in the rotation) — were acquired from Texas in the second half of 2011, either on waivers or for expendable middle relief.

2. Re: OT - How bout dem O's hon!!!!!

Mr. Jones keeps tearing the cover off of the ball. We need to give him a deal sooner rather than later. I would give him 6 years between 85-90 million. We do not want that guy to go. Hardy is coming around also. Coming up with some big hits. "Just win baby" - Al Davis

3. Re: OT - How bout dem O's hon!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thebird7689 View Post
    Mr. Jones keeps tearing the cover off of the ball. We need to give him a deal sooner rather than later. I would give him 6 years between 85-90 million. We do not want that guy to go. Hardy is coming around also. Coming up with some big hits. "Just win baby" - Al Davis
    That's going to be the real test for the fan base. At this stage they need to extend Jones. He's having a tremendous few months. But to see him walk away due to not opening the checkbook would be a terrible blow.

Re: OT - How bout dem O's hon!!!!!

I think, maybe, that I'm finally believing. However, we've seen this dog and pony show before, particuarly this decade. The O's start off solid, then fall apart in the second half.

That said, this feels a little different. They are beating on the AL east, and the hitting looks legit. The bullpen is playing WAY over it's head, and that is my real worry, that they won't keep it up. Maybe this year instead of the usual fire sale after the Allstar break, they can get some pieces added. I'm getting real sick of the annual fire sales...

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I think, maybe, that I'm finally believing. However, we've seen this dog and pony show before, particuarly this decade. The O's start off solid, then fall apart in the second half.

That said, this feels a little different. They are beating on the AL east, and the hitting looks legit. The bullpen is playing WAY over it's head, and that is my real worry, that they won't keep it up. Maybe this year instead of the usual fire sale after the Allstar break, they can get some pieces added. I'm getting real sick of the annual fire sales...
    I actually think that the bullpen has been playing to their ability. Strop and Johnson have nasty stuff, and Gregg has shown the ability to dominate in the past. The starters, on the other hand, have been surprising to me. With the exception of Matusz, they've all been pretty solid. Tommy Hunter has had some stinkers, but I think that once Britton gets healthy, either he or Matusz go down to AAA.

I'm with you on the team needing to add pieces at the trade-deadline. Scooping a starter might be the difference between contending and the annual midseason collapse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post

:word

My thoughts exactly.

If they can continue this level of play through the all-star break, I'll be a true believer. It is nice to see them doing work against the Yanks and Sox though.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

To me the most impressive pitcher has been Wei-Yin Chen. 4-0, 2.45 ERA...it's nice to have a solid lefty in the rotation. He has the ability to eventually become an ace or something close to it.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Just like everybody else I'm going to enjoy this run. I remain cautiously optimistic. I'll wait until the All star break to decide whether to get really excited or not. Adam Jones is hot. Memo to Peter Angelos, strike while it's hot. Sign him to a contract extension.

Cautiously optimisitic is probably the way to go, but I admit I've got a feeling this could be a special season. They have won several games, most recently that extra inning game in KC, that they seemed to have no business winning, but they somehow won anyway. Their bullpen has been a real surprise and keeps them in a lot of games. Even Kevin Greg, who SUCKED last year, has been pitching well recently. And although several guys in the lineup haven't been hitting that well, they seem to get clutch hits when they need them. I don't know if they can keep it up, but I sure hope they do.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    To me the most impressive pitcher has been Wei-Yin Chen. 4-0, 2.45 ERA...it's nice to have a solid lefty in the rotation. He has the ability to eventually become an ace or something close to it.
    Rookie starters are so hard to gauge long term. With little to no scouting report for batters to work with, they've got an advantage in the early portion of the season. He's got potential: great command and solid low 90s heat.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dqp2re

Fully on the O's train! I have watched the last 12 games with out missing any inning. Lets go O's!
    Last edited by Blacklightning; 05-19-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Blog Entries

Tonight it was Markakis with the game winning HR in the 11th.

ORIOLE MAGIC BABY