Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

McKinnie trying to drop 15 more lbs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-350-pounds/

It'd be really nice for him to perform at a pro-bowl level this year. With Suggs out of the mix the offense is going to have to really pick up the slack.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: McKinnie trying to drop 15 more lbs.

Color me not impressed.

15 lbs for a 350 lb'er is nothing. His knock has always been laziness and these is more words from a guy who gave nothing but words when he was in Minnesota.

Tell me you're going to drop 30 lb's and actually do it then I'd be impressed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Color me not impressed.

15 lbs for a 350 lb'er is nothing. His knock has always been laziness and these is more words from a guy who gave nothing but words when he was in Minnesota.

Tell me you're going to drop 30 lb's and actually do it then I'd be impressed.
    Well, considering he weighed close to 400 last off-season...that's a fairly substantial drop in weight. Though I do agree with your overall premise that his transformation has not exactly exhibited a sense of urgency whatsoever.

I would love it if Jah Reid or even Osemele could beat him out for LT this summer and then they could drop his $4mill salary and use it to better the current roster.

After 10 full years in the league, McKinnie still has intractable issues with not only weight, but also technique and level of effort. I don't care as much about him losing or gaining 15 pounds because that's not going to improve his use of hands, his recognition, and his effort to finish plays. He just has so many areas in which he needs to get better but he doesn't appear terribly interested in doing so, since he's yet to do it after 10 years. His technique is the exact same as when he entered the league.

I would love to see this team find a better option at LT, but of course it would have to be someone on the roster. I have a small bit of hope that Jah Reid could be that guy, but I don't feel good about it. Osemele is far too raw.

The only other glimmer of hope for me is that McKinnie is staring down the open market next year and he's got a lot of debt and bad choices behind him. If he won't be motivated to have a good year so he can get one last contract to deal with his financial indiscretions, nothing will motivate him.

Blog Entries

Well, like others have said, their overall plan of action (for 2013) would be to move Oher back over to LT and start Jah at RT.

I'd love to see if KO or Jah or even Oher could step in at LT and be that guy, but I don't see it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-350-pounds/

It'd be really nice for him to perform at a pro-bowl level this year. With Suggs out of the mix the offense is going to have to really pick up the slack.
    Pro bowl level? I'd take an average LT level.

Blog Entries

Bryant McKinnie has had some real good years, 2009 being one of them. The talent is there, but the last two seasons he just has seemed to not care about football, even in 2011 being on the best team he's probably ever been on he didn't seem motivated. He has shown that when he's motivated he can destroy players, in week 1 for example he dominated James Harrison. Another problem is that he doesn't fit the blocking scheme, he could probably be much better suited in a power man scheme that we used to run.

Ultimately the question comes down to, who was a better player at LT, Michael Oher in 2010 or Bryant Mckinnie in 2011? There really isn't much between them. Saving 4 million and using it on another player, or carrying it over to 2013 and moving Oher back to LT and have Reid earn his place on the right side seems like a interesting option, but I don't think the Ravens see it that way after paying McKinnie his bonus.

He probably loses 15 pounds every time he drops the kids off at the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Bryant McKinnie has had some real good years, 2009 being one of them. The talent is there, but the last two seasons he just has seemed to not care about football, even in 2011 being on the best team he's probably ever been on he didn't seem motivated. He has shown that when he's motivated he can destroy players, in week 1 for example he dominated James Harrison. Another problem is that he doesn't fit the blocking scheme, he could probably be much better suited in a power man scheme that we used to run.

Ultimately the question comes down to, who was a better player at LT, Michael Oher in 2010 or Bryant Mckinnie in 2011? There really isn't much between them. Saving 4 million and using it on another player, or carrying it over to 2013 and moving Oher back to LT and have Reid earn his place on the right side seems like a interesting option, but I don't think the Ravens see it that way after paying McKinnie his bonus.
    I don't think McKinnie is nasty/aggresive enough...despite his size, to be a good power blocker. He is a guy who barely does enough to get by.

Gotta love the one you're with at this point. Ravens have made their bed at LT.

McKinnie is massive at 6'8" and at 350 you would think he could last the entire year. IMO his main problem last year wasn't that he was too heavy to play and move as a general matter, but that the extra weight wore him down at the end of the year and the end of games. One of the Ravens biggest problems last year was running out the game, picking up that crucial 3rd and short to extend drives or punch it into the endzone for 6 instead of 3. McKinnie at 350 can certainly help them get that yard better than McKinnie around 370.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    He probably loses 15 pounds every time he drops the kids off at the pool.
    hahahaha, great line!

To a serious note, I would love to see him replaced and then cut, would make my day, but I don't trust Oher on the blindside, I guess we'd have to take a look at Osemele or Reid. Reid's a beast and I'd like to see them give him a chance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Pro bowl level? I'd take an average LT level.
    Haha, me too.

I said pro-bowl level because he "claimed" in the PFT article that if he can drop down to 350 then he'll be able to play at a pro-bowl level again.