Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Amani Toomer calls out Kurt Warner

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The risk of concussions and getting Alzheimer's later on in your life vs playing a sport that you love doing and possibly earning millions to do it, and maybe even have a coaching or media career after you finish with the sport, take your pick.
    Except the odds of making it big versus the odds of getting a really bad head injury aren't remotely comparable. It's ludicrous to bank on making it big in football as a means of compensating for the eventual head trauma just like it's ludicrous to play the lotto to pay for your retirement.

I haven't had kids or plan to until I leave the Army, but at the end of the day, it's your kids decision, if he/she really wants to do something (providing it isn't anything illegal) then IMO you can't just stop him from doing it.
    A parent only has about 3 real jobs. One of them is protecting their kid from hurting themselves before they're old enough to understand the risks of their behaviors. If a parent wants to ok it, that's the parent's prerogative, but the idea that you can't or shouldn't stop a child from engaging in an activity that you find too risky shows me that you don't understand what being a parent is about.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

but at the end of the day, it's your kids decision, if he/she really wants to do something (providing it isn't anything illegal) then IMO you can't just stop him from doing it.
    Really? I don't want to get off track here, but there is something in the States called a parent permission form. Your children aren't allowed to play unless it's signed, so you certainly do have control of whether or not your kid plays football, baseball, lacrosse or any other sport. You seem to view parenting like a fatalist and I don't think that was your intention.

I haven't heard Toomer's comments, so I can't really say anything about them. However, I don't really see anything wrong with Warner saying he would not want his kids playing a sport where it could ultimately affect their longevity and mental health, even if he at one time benefited from the sport. There are a lot of things we do as people, yet because of increased knowledge or changes in the activity we wouldn't do them again, nor would we want our friends and family to do them. that's not hypocritical; it's prudent.

Gotta side with Warner here. Why exactly does Amani Toomer think he can share HIS opinion with everyone, but Kurt Warner needs to shut up about his opinion?
    Now I disagree with Kurt about letting the kids play football. I'd let mine play. But I understand where he is coming from. He has gone through the aches and pains and physical toll it takes on the body. He's bettered his life and can provide a much better life for his kids, with less risk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    A parent only has about 3 real jobs. One of them is protecting their kid from hurting themselves before they're old enough to understand the risks of their behaviors. If a parent wants to ok it, that's the parent's prerogative, but the idea that you can't or shouldn't stop a child from engaging in an activity that you find too risky shows me that you don't understand what being a parent is about.
    I probably don't, and I probably didn't really word it too well. What I meant is, if your child REALLY wants to play a competitive sport, who am I to stop them from doing so? I'd much rather my kid (granted I don't have any yet, so I this could all change when I do have them lol) playing a sport like football, than sitting at home playing xbox all day getting obese which is a growing problem every where right now. Football is obviously a lot more violent and aggressive than most other sports, but IMO you shouldn't stop your kid from doing that. There are obviously lots of activities I disagree with that are highly dangerous, but football certainly isn't one of them. Besides the odds are HIGHLY stacked against any kid making it pro at the end of the day, which is when it gets the most dangerous obviously.

Blog Entries

Parents always have concerns for their children but the game hasnt changed as mich as they make you believe. If anything its getting safer now than it was, and advancements in pads and helmets are continual. To say you wouldnt allow your child to play the game that made your family well off is hypocrtical when you consider its safer today than it was when hestarted playing and more likely will be even safer by the time his kid hypothetically reaches the same level. Hes entitled to his opinion Nd to raise his children as he wishes, but when he makes it public, as hes paid to do, it opens him to critism. I think hes kind of a douche because of what hes said about player safety and the bounty gate. He didnt look at it subjectively he made it personal and ignored the facts. The hits were clean and the sport is safer now than ever.
    -JAB

I don't know. I can see Warner's point of view. There's no way I'd let my kids play football, knowing what we know now about concussions. Same with hockey.

That said I'm still a bit of a hypocrite because I love watching football. For me personally though the reward just wouldn't justify the risk.

Blog Entries

The risk of concussions and getting Alzheimer's later on in your life vs playing a sport that you love doing and possibly earning millions to do it, and maybe even have a coaching or media career after you finish with the sport, take your pick. I haven't had kids or plan to until I leave the Army, but at the end of the day, it's your kids decision, if he/she really wants to do something (providing it isn't anything illegal) then IMO you can't just stop him from doing it.
    You can stop them if they are under 18 and you are their legal guardian. I have this debate with my wife all the time. My son is almost 9 and she still doesn't feel that he should be playing football. He plays soccer all year without any pads or helmets and somehow that's okay in her mind. Some battles you just can't win. At least she's agreed to let our 6 year old daughter play lacrosse. Baby steps.

Honestly I like both Toomer and Warner and see where they are both coming from. This is one of the rare issues where I really can't chose a side.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    At least she's agreed to let our 6 year old daughter play lacrosse.
    OMG, talk about a dangerous sport.

Does she know the various nicknames associated with Women's Lax?

Blog Entries

You can stop them if they are under 18 and you are their legal guardian. I have this debate with my wife all the time. My son is almost 9 and she still doesn't feel that he should be playing football. He plays soccer all year without any pads or helmets and somehow that's okay in her mind. Some battles you just can't win. At least she's agreed to let our 6 year old daughter play lacrosse. Baby steps.

Honestly I like both Toomer and Warner and see where they are both coming from. This is one of the rare issues where I really can't chose a side.
    Man I don't like soccer lol, rugby is a much better sport. I know that you have a legal obligation to give permission for your child to do things by a consent form, but what I'm saying is, if I had a kid I would probably sign that letter to let him play if he really wanted to. Can't say the same about the mrs's!

My son is almost 9 and she still doesn't feel that he should be playing football. He plays soccer all year without any pads or helmets and somehow that's okay in her mind.
    You should do some research on ankle and knee injuries in soccer and give it to your wife. When I was rehabbing an injury, 80% of the teenagers coming in to rehab their knees were soccer players.

I respect both Warner's and Toomer's opinions. But even more so, I repesct my sister's opinion. She does Neurology reseearch down at NIH whe she does a lot of brain scanning, imaging, etc. And she opened my eyes to the cumulative effects of concussions.

I only played football in high school. And I thought that I never had a Concussion because I had never been "knocked out". But I was told to look at all the times I had my "bell rung", saw "stars", or spoke incoherently after taking/delivering a hit. Then I realized that I may have had more than a few Concussions, however mild they may have been. The effects of Consussions, as I have been told, accumulate over time. So that damage to your brain keeps adding up.

Knowing what I know now....I am having 2nd thoughts about my son, my only child, playing football. Now, he is only 10 months old. But still, I doubt that helmet technology will catch up by the time he can play tackle football. I see the small kids just learning to hit, and they are constantly leading with their head, spearing each other, and getting hurt. For many of us, it was just a part of growing up and learning the game. But the long-term consequences of these can be severe, and they are very real.

I can only imagine the impact this has on guys who play on through college and into the pros.

I don't have a problem with what Warner said. He gets paid to give an opinon even if that means throwing the game under the bus. He had his "parent" hat on when he gave that opinion. Not a big deal. Amani Toomer kept saying lots of kids would react to Kurt Warner's statement. I don't beleive it because Kurt Warner does not have that kind of "staying" power. Now if Ray Lewis said something like that you better believe people would stop and listen.