Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Amani Toomer calls out Kurt Warner

All of you who think Warner is wrong because of everything football did for him need to read this:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

Actually, all of you who agree with Warner need to read it too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    All of you who think Warner is wrong because of everything football did for him need to read this:

That's quite scary. That reminds me of that infamous game against the Dolphins in 07. Boller got knocked out of the game and they showed him sitting on the sideline. He just looked so confused. I think one of the announcers even commented that he doesn't look like he knows where he is.

I don't have a problem with what either of them said. Anything involving the brain and damage to it is a very scary thing. If you decide you don't want your children taking that risk, then that is a decision you must make as a parent. He has the right to say that regardless of what his current job is. Football can save lives (getting kids off the streets) or, as we are now learning, end lives as well. There isn't really a wrong or a right.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRaven View Post
    I don't have a problem with what either of them said. Anything involving the brain and damage to it is a very scary thing. If you decide you don't want your children taking that risk, then that is a decision you must make as a parent. He has the right to say that regardless of what his current job is. Football can save lives (getting kids off the streets) or, as we are now learning, end lives as well. There isn't really a wrong or a right.
    Here is where the right an wrong come in. Toomer is wrong to tell Kurt Warner to basically shut up.
    If Toomer wants to allow his kids to play football, that's fine. That's not wrong.
    If Warner does not want to allow his kids to play football, that's fine too. That's not wrong either.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRaven View Post
    You don't have a problem with Toomer saying, "Kurt Warner needs to keep his opinions to himself"???

Did anybody just hear Merrill Hoge on SC talking about Warner's comments?

Some of his main points:

His son plays football and the only concussion he has ever got was from crashing bike. (I guess we're going to ignore that the most dangerous concussions are the very small ones that happen frequently during play and add up over time)

If you don't let your kids play football, they will play xbox and eat donuts and become obese. (Totally, there are no other sports in the world.)

He coaches youth football and his kids miss more time from practice from injuries that occur during lunch and recess, not on field injuries. (Sure.)

If anyone wants a prime example of the dangers of football to the brain they can consider Merrill Hoge 'Exhibit A'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    You should do some research on ankle and knee injuries in soccer and give it to your wife. When I was rehabbing an injury, 80% of the teenagers coming in to rehab their knees were soccer players.
    That's a great idea. Something to work on before the Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Did anybody just hear Merrill Hoge on SC talking about Warner's comments?

Some of his main points:

His son plays football and the only concussion he has ever got was from crashing bike. (I guess we're going to ignore that the most dangerous concussions are the very small ones that happen frequently during play and add up over time)

If you don't let your kids play football, they will play xbox and eat donuts and become obese. (Totally, there are no other sports in the world.)

He coaches youth football and his kids miss more time from practice from injuries that occur during lunch and recess, not on field injuries. (Sure.)

If anyone wants a prime example of the dangers of football to the brain they can consider Merrill Hoge 'Exhibit A'.
    And that is what I can't stand, dishonest and biased debate on the issue to the point where you can't even take Merril's comments serious. It seems like some guys who played their careers and came out reletively healthy act as if the concussion issue isn't that serious.

I'm OK with other people's decisions to play football. I just think that everyone should be well aware of the risks. Merrill's dishonest debate does not help to inform people.

One more reason not to like the guy.

Wait, those dogs that Vick fought got paid?? Ohh, did that article say the dogs had a CHOICE to fight/play???

And at this point not a single person in sports is ignorant of the long-term risks of concussions. If a guy CHOOSES to play in the NFL or in college, he assumes the risk. Warner, as a parent, can decide what's best for his kids; but the article you cite doesn't really concern that so much.

Now does the NFL as an employer have a moral obligation to provide for these guys after their careers are over, of course. But ultimately, people make their own choices. It's no different than the Federal Gov't dangling the carrot of free college tuition or citizenship for service members in the armed forces...risk your health, and you will be rewarded financially. Still a choice though.

Blog Entries

I've had my bell rung plenty. Been knocked out cold in two fights. Shit happens. People develop Alzheimer without ever experiencing a knockout.

Fact is, football made a lot of these people. No one forced them to be NFL players. It is a dangerous job, just like being a fireman or a policeman. Bad things can happen in a lot of careers. Half the fishermen on the Bering Sea will be maimed or damn near broken for the rest of their lives.

If Warner doesn't want his kid to be any of those things fine, but don't be a hypocrite about it. Hell, my 30 nephew has permanent disc damage from bending over and picking up heavy shit while being a plumber.

Life is hard, period. Wish I had a couple million to sit in a chair on the NFL network and bitch about how rough it is.

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    And at this point not a single person in sports is ignorant of the long-term risks of concussions.
    Sure they're not. You're joking, right? Also, the article made it clear that diagnosed concussions are only a small part of the problem. Thousands of impacts that don't cause any concussion symptoms at all are the bigger issue. How many players aren't aware of that? Probably 98% of them.

You don't have a problem with Toomer saying, "Kurt Warner needs to keep his opinions to himself"???
    i meant their opinions on the topic. i don't know why toomer felt the need to call him out. maybe he needed a ratings boost?