Blog Entries

Panetta & Co. Warn Military Commanders to get their shit in gear

http://news.yahoo.com/military-comma...s45V1gPmWo#_=_

While I think that there are some definite discipline issues in the military right now, there are a lot of reasons that the guys and gals overseas are acting the way that they are and it's not necessarily from a lack of discipline.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Because the snake is rotten at the head, to use a Texas term.

Re: Panetta & Co. Warn Military Commanders to get their shit in gear

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/military-comma...s45V1gPmWo#_=_

While I think that there are some definite discipline issues in the military right now, there are a lot of reasons that the guys and gals overseas are acting the way that they are and it's not necessarily from a lack of discipline.
    I agree. Putting young men and women repeatedly in these situations is going to breed some very bad behavior. Standards and discipline were relaxed somewhat over the last 11 years, but that is a minor contributor compared to the environment our troops have faced.

The Army, by the way, has revised its AR 670-1 that governs uniform wear and personal appearance. Some of the stuff that has been allowed is now - on paper - specifically prohibited. This is a first step towards re-establishing stricter discipline.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JStruds View Post
    I agree. Putting young men and women repeatedly in these situations is going to breed some very bad behavior. Standards and discipline were relaxed somewhat over the last 11 years, but that is a minor contributor compared to the environment our troops have faced.

The Army, by the way, has revised its AR 670-1 that governs uniform wear and personal appearance. Some of the stuff that has been allowed is now - on paper - specifically prohibited. This is a first step towards re-establishing stricter discipline.
    Definitely and one big problem is that there isn't good enough counseling services when you're down range. When you're out there in a caravan for months at a time with no contact with your family, getting shot at, potentially killing someone, it does things to your head that can go unnoticed if not treated properly. A lot of these guys and gals over there are KIDS who have never been away from their homes EVER and as a result are going to be fucked up for the rest of their lives.

That one guy who went through that town and killed a bunch of women and shit when he was kicking doors down had known problems and had been over there like 2 or 3 times prior to that. He was a ticking time bomb that his chain of command did nothing to help him. No wonder he snapped.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Because the snake is rotten at the head, to use a Texas term.
    There is certainly some truth to this as well.

When you have O4's, 5's, and even 6's dictating policy and procedures and have never even BEEN downrange is incredible to me.

How someone can make rank as an officer having never deployed is incredible to me.