Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Do players (i.e. their salary) placed on IR count against a teams salary cap?

FWIW, they could put him on the Reserve/NFI List (non-football injury list). If they do so, he's not paid while on that list and the team would receive a Cap credit this season for what isn't paid.

I guess that's something they will be looking into once the full diagnosis is in.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    FWIW, they could put him on the Reserve/NFI List (non-football injury list). If they do so, he's not paid while on that list and the team would receive a Cap credit this season for what isn't paid.

I guess that's something they will be looking into once the full diagnosis is in.
    I can't see the team doing that.

Horrible PR move. If they paid Foxy, they are going to pay Suggs for sure.

Re: Do players (i.e. their salary) placed on IR count against a teams salary cap?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I can't see the team doing that.

Horrible PR move. If they paid Foxy, they are going to pay Suggs for sure.
    I would agree that they aren't likely to do it, but there is a difference - Foxworth's injury was football related. They didn't have the option of putting him on NFI. They could have PUP'd him or released him, but they were expecting him to be OK to play (and guessed wrong).

If Suggs' injury was while playing BBall, they may consider it. My guess is that they will be mad enough to want to put him on NFI, but will probably decide against it.

But there are reports he injured himself practicing for a conditioning test, not playing basketball.

Blog Entries

But there are reports he injured himself practicing for a conditioning test, not playing basketball.
    That's still not football related because he wasn't doing it supervised by the team or in the teams facility. Not that it really matters since they would never do that to Suggs. I don't even think they did that to Gaither who they clearly had an issue with.

Yes, that's why I said "if" it happened while playing BBall.

It will depend on what the truth of the matter actually is. If it was a conditioning test, then I would agree there is 0% chance they would NFI him.

OTOH, if it turns out that it was BB - as first reported - then I think they may be more inclined to do so. But, in the end, I would expect them to decide against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I would give up a 3rd round pick in next year's draft for Osi in a heartbeat.
    You would give up a 3rd round pick, for a player to solve a problem, that you'll only have for ONE YEAR? Lardarius Webb was a 3rd round pick, that we'll have for YEARS to come. Yanda was a 3rd round pick, so was Dickson. I don't understand the thought that Osi is worth that...

More in depth info on the Ravens' options with Suggs:

http://ravens24x7.com/columns/The-Mo...l-Suggs-injury

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    More in depth info on the Ravens' options with Suggs:

http://ravens24x7.com/columns/The-Mo...l-Suggs-injury
    Thank you for posting this. I wonder if they put him on NWI, if it would open room to get the Flacco and Rice contracts done.

Blog Entries

The only thing that makes sense is for Suggs to go on PUP. At week 6 they start evaluate. By week 9 they either activate him or put him on IR. Not a chance he goes on NFI. That would be a complete dick thing to do. The $1.7 million in salary cap spaced saved would not be worth the damaged reputation the Ravens would have if they went that route.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The only thing that makes sense is for Suggs to go on PUP. At week 6 they start evaluate. By week 9 they either activate him or put him on IR. Not a chance he goes on NFI. That would be a complete dick thing to do. The $1.7 million in salary cap spaced saved would not be worth the damaged reputation the Ravens would have if they went that route.
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Perhaps, NFI isn't as far fetched as many thought -

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/79...rfeit-millions